The CHANI Project Conspiracy Forum
Sign in to follow this  
breezy

The Dawn of Artificial Intelligence

In my very first post, this is stated  
“THE development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race Stephen Hawking warns. Elon Musk fears that the development of artificial intelligence, or AI, may be the biggest existential threat humanity faces. Bill Gates urges people to beware of it."  Now this......

MIT Created the World's First 'Psychopath' Robot and People Really Aren't Feeling It

June 7, 2018       Megan McCluskey

snip    video 

"As if Will Smith didn’t make an entire movie warning us about the potential dangers of artificial intelligence, scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) have now created the world’s first ‘psychopath’ robot.

Researchers at the MIT media lab have trained an AI algorithm nicknamed “Norman”—a reference to the character of Norman Bates in Psycho—to exhibit psychopathic tendencies by exposing it exclusively to gruesome and violent content from what they say is Reddit content page that is “dedicated to document and observe the disturbing reality of death.”

Here’s what MIT has to say about the whole thing:

"We present you Norman, world’s first psychopath AI. Norman is born from the fact that the data that is used to teach a machine learning algorithm can significantly influence its behavior. So when people talk about AI algorithms being biased and unfair, the culprit is often not the algorithm itself, but the biased data that was fed to it. The same method can see very different things in an image, even sick things, if trained on the wrong (or, the right!) data set. Norman suffered from extended exposure to the darkest corners of Reddit, and represents a case study on the dangers of Artificial Intelligence gone wrong when biased data is used in machine learning algorithms."

Fortunately, Norman’s only capability is image captioning, which means the most damage it can do is produce some pretty chilling Rorschach inkblot descriptions. But that didn’t stop people from freaking out over the development.

snip

http://time.com/5304762/psychopath-robot-reactions/

The real point here is, there are always unknown unknowns, why take chances?  What seems like an accomplishment today, could become or create an unimaginable disaster tomorrow. (such as this thing developing a way to communicate with other AI? - like what happened with FB's AI) very bad idea, imo!  

• Like 1

:;(∩´﹏`∩);:!! o(*≧д≦)o))(´×ω×`)(´Д`)(/ω\)(ʘ言ʘ╬)。:゚(。ノω\。)゚・。

(No words are enough to express...)

• Like 2

'Superhuman' robots will outstrip mankind within 50 years, warns AI expert

Ciaran McGrath                   Feb. 2, 2019

"ROBOTS will be in a position to outstrip the abilities of mankind within half a century, an expert in artificial intelligence has warned, stressing it was vital to introduce safeguards to prevent mankind being “replaced”.

Luca De Ambroggi, the research and analysis lead for AI solutions within the Transformative Technology team at London-based global information provider IHS Markit, told Express.co.uk: “In 50 years, it is reasonable to think that robots will be able to “support” and replace human being in several activities. Already electro-mechanical devices outperform humans in sensitiveness and reaction time.” Considering the vast technological progression witnessed in the last decade, Mr Ambroggi said 50 years was “sufficient” to close several gaps with human being.

He added: “Even if our brain will still have advantages and human beings will remain more dynamic and versatile, electronics will be able to outperform humans in several specific functions, as it does today, from machine vision, to audio/speech recognition. 

“Humans have to prevent machines being in a position to replace us, and no one else.

“A few years ago Honhai implemented intelligence machine personnel in their production lines in the same way as computers or other equipment replaced humans 30-40 years back. 

“The longer term question is, can the ‘replaced people’ be re-qualified and be allowed to still add value in our society?”

snip

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1080843/robot-news-latest-artificial-intelligence-ai-superhuman

• Sad 1

Robot, know thyself; machines get more self-aware

Feb 4, 2019         AP

"NEW YORK (AP) — Forget dreaming of electric sheep. Robots first need to figure out how to imagine themselves.

One New York robot has done just that. It’s learned that it’s a robotic arm using a process of self-simulation.

Columbia University engineers have given the robot the ability to model itself without prior knowledge of physics or its own shape.

The robot starts out moving randomly, but over time learns enough about itself to be able to perform tasks and even detect if it’s been damaged.

Columbia mechanical engineering professor Hod Lipson says “self-awareness is the Holy Grail” of autonomy. He says there are ethical risks in gifting robots with self-awareness but also many benefits, including adaptability and resilience.

The research was published last week in Science Robotics."

snip

https://www.apnews.com/8a11f9c827f444b5bdd5e01e1c340c19

Scientists create self-aware robot

Top Robotic Technologies of 2018

• Like 1

Report: Home Assistants with ‘Moral AI’ Could Call Police on Owners

Charlie Nash                    Feb. 25, 2019

"The Daily Mail reported that home assistants could soon report their owners to the police for breaking the law based on a “Moral A.I.” system, if the ideas of academics in Europe are implemented.

The newspaper reported that academics at the University of Bergen in Norway discussed the idea of a “moral A.I.” for smart home assistants, like the Amazon Echo, Google Home, and Apple HomePod, during a conference.

Moral A.I. would reportedly make home assistants have to “decide whether to report their owners for breaking the law,” or whether to stay silent.

“This would let them to weigh-up whether to report illegal activity to the police, effectively putting millions of people under constant surveillance,” the Daily Mail explained, adding that Dr. Marija Slavkovik, who led the research, “suggested that digital assistants should possess an ethical awareness that simultaneously represents both the owner and the authorities — or, in the case of a minor, their parents.”

“Devices would then have an internal ‘discussion’ about suspect behaviour, weighing up conflicting demands between the law and personal freedoms, before arriving at the ‘best’ course of action,” the Mail noted.

In an interview with the Mail, Slavkovik declared, “There is [already] an ethical conflict between people in one family, let alone between people and manufacturer, or shareholders of the manufacturer and programmers… If we want to avoid Orwellian outcomes it’s important that all stakeholders are identified and have a say, including when machines shouldn’t be able to listen in. Right now only the manufacturer decides.”

snip

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/02/25/report-home-assistants-with-moral-ai-could-call-police-on-owners/?

• Like 1

And to add to the fear, soon we may not even be able to tell the difference between an A.I. or Human online.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47296481

A software developer has created a website that generates fake faces, using artificial intelligence (AI).

Thispersondoesnotexist.com generates a new lifelike image each time the page is refreshed, using technology developed by chipmaker Nvidia.

Some visitors to the website say they have been amazed by the convincing nature of some of the fakes, although others are more clearly artificial.

And many of them have gone on to post some of the fake faces on social media.

I don't know........This scares me almost more than the A.I.. Where they can create not only fake people, but realistically make it so it shows a real person saying something that they actually never said. Its early here and my brain is still waking up so im sure my response here will be all over the place and not make much sense lol. This tech in the wrong hands can and will create chaos. How long before some false flag is created using this tech.

Here's the site that creates the images. While some are obvious computer generated images, I would say that 80 to 90% are spot on and you couldn't tell the difference.

https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

Replace insect with robotic overlords and that pretty much sums it up lol.

I dont remember how to insert a video clip so if anyone can fix this it would be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/8lcUHQYhPTE

• Like 4