The CHANI Project Conspiracy Forum
breezy

TORNADOS, TROPICAL STORMS, TYPHOONS, HURRICANES

These folks are stocking provisions for the storm. Hard to say who has the better priorities in this sitch. (Not trying to make light of the serious Matthew situation, but you gotta admit, it's a pretty funny picture.)

post-2154-0-11167300-1475540219_thumb.jp

"Stocking up for Hurricane Matthew!"

• Like 2

Thousands refuse to evacuate as Hurricane Matthew set to bring deadly winds and torrential rain

Priyanka Mogul

October 3, 2016

Video at link

"At least 2,000 people in a coastal town in Haiti have refused to evacuate, despite the looming threat of Hurricane Matthew that is expected to make landfall on Monday (3 October) night. The Caribbean's expected strongest storm is forecast to bring 130mph (215kph) winds and torrential rain to Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba and the Bahamas.

It is creeping towards Haiti, Jamaica and Cuba at a pace of five miles per hour (7km), which means that it will also take its time to leave and increase the time it has to cause damage after making landfall.

The deadly conditions are coming at a bad time for Haiti, which was due to hold a delayed election on Sunday (9 October).

Ronald Semelfort, director of Haiti's national meteorology centre, told Reuters: "We are worried about the slow pace of Hurricane Matthew, which will expose Haiti to much more rain, and the country is particularly vulnerable to flooding."

Haiti's resistance to national disasters is particularly vulnerable. In 2010, an earthquake killed more than 200,000 people due to weak infrastructure and lack of proper disaster-risk management.

Despite the threat, officials in Haiti said that at least 2,000 residents in Les Cayes had refused to obey government orders to evacuate from their seaside homes. The people in the neighbourhood of La Savane are just a few miles away from where the centre of Hurricane Matthew is due to make landfall."
snip

These poor people have not recovered from the last one yet, positive thoughts to them.

image from nullschool    https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-76.06,15.81,3000/loc=-70.784,10.259

post-5-0-57412700-1475542663_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

It is amazing how slowly this storm is moving. And it's huge and has sustained at least Cat 4 status for several days now. Whew. Definitely positive thoughts to all who will be affected by it.

• Like 2

This was easiest for me to watch on my phone turned upside-down because of the perspective. The storm looks like it covers a lot of terrain.

Published on Oct 3, 2016Cameras outside the International Space Station captured dramatic views of major Hurricane Matthew Oct. 3 as the orbital complex flew 250 miles over the storm at 4:15 p.m. EDT. Packing winds of 140 miles an hour as a Category 4 hurricane, Matthew was expected to pass over western Haiti and eastern Cuba Oct. 4 before charging north over the Bahamas Oct. 5 and potentially threatening the east coast of the United States later in the week.

• Like 2

@kandescent  Note: had a bit of a problem holding the monitor upside down, so did a headstand on the computer desk instead.....it's doubtful either of us will ever recover.   :-

• Like 4

Great. :-/

Newest information in for Matthew. Winds remain at 145mph. Slight change to track with potential landfall near SC/NC coast #tropicsWACH

post-2154-0-44094500-1475593581_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Since I'm in SC, my posts at the mo will probably be skewed to info on SC, though I realize other areas are under severe weather threats as well. Do send your good thoughts out to coastal folks, especially ones who may not be able to evacuate. Some inland folks will likely need your thoughts as well since the flooding and winds are not likely to be kind there either. The river a few blocks from me rose about 30 feet last year in the face of a lesser storm.

This may not be THE global coastal threat, but definitely a significant coastal threat.

This evacuation might be out of an abundance of caution because of the terrible flooding damage we had last year that wreaked the state. There are still some roads and many dams out. I'm shocked that evacuation is starting and schools are closed as of tomorrow. I don't recall anything like this in the 8 years I've lived here.

Maybe fodder for a different conspiracy theory thread, but what do you make of the "100 miles from the coast" requirement? What was that thing about the land from coast to 100 miles in? Also National Guard will be helping evacuate people. Of course, that makes sense, but still...

Haley issues State of Emergency ahead of Hurricane Matthew

BY MATTHEW STEVENS TUESDAY, OCTOBER 4TH 2016

COLUMBIA, SC (WACH) - Governor Nikki Haley announced Tuesday that she has issued a State of Emergency for South Carolina ahead of Hurricane Matthew.

Govenor Haley said that medical evacuations for the coast will start Tuesday night and all evacuations for coastal residents will go into effect Wednesday at 3pm.

"If you can leave early do that , we don't want everyone to leave at once," said Haley.

All residents will be taken 100 miles from the coast. The governor noted that roughly 1.1 million people will be evacuated.

SCEMD will have all evacuation routes on their website.

The Department of Public Safety said that a lane reversal for the I-26 corridor along the coast will start at 3pm Wednesday.

The governor said that all schools and government agencies across the coast will be closed tomorrow, along with schools and agencies in the Midlands.

<snip >

Hurricane Matthew is currently a Category 4 and the governor has been informed it will be between a category 2 and 3 when it does hit SC, with winds expected to reach as high as 100 miles per hour.

http://wach.com/news/local/haley-issues-state-of-emergency-ahead-of-hurricane-matthew

So, looking at the evacuation map, looks like things might be a little crowded in my town for the next few days. :-0

post-2154-0-99681500-1475612900_thumb.pn

• Like 5

Below is this afternoon's tweet from the South Carolina Emergency Management Division. Hopefully, the evacuation runs a bit more smoothly than that indicates. :-/

"Our website is experiencing difficulties due to extremely high traffic, we will notify you when it is back up and running."

• Like 3

Here's Thor's report on Matthew.

He's also identified another large system forming in the Atlantic. Here's to hoping it doesn't get itself together.

• Like 4

YES, Been watching that second one  I don't like what I'm seeing either !!  I'm working on it, probably could use all the help we can get.  

post-5-0-25554700-1475645213_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Published on Oct 5, 2016Mass Mandatory evacuations are now underway for South Carolina and Florida as the situation worsens be the minute. Hurricane Matthew could bring catastrophic destruction to the SouthEast coast of the USA.

This is a very serious situation. Please take it seriously.

God bless everyone,

T

@newTHOR on twitter

https://www.facebook.com/thornewsgo

• Like 3

Here's the latest for the South Carolina area.

That hook turn circular path for a hurricane is totes normal (as Thor would say). I mean does anyone remember any hurricane making an about face and coming back for another go?

post-2154-0-19156700-1475704382_thumb.jp

• Like 6

I guess it's TS Nicole that makes Matthew want to circle back to Florida as a tropical storm. That's my armchair meteorologist guess anyway. Matthew is now back to Cat 4, scheduled to hit Florida tonight.

post-2154-0-76778700-1475770067_thumb.pn

Here are some other updates:

post-2154-0-69132100-1475770164_thumb.jppost-2154-0-75553700-1475770179_thumb.jppost-2154-0-41961300-1475770192_thumb.jppost-2154-0-62352200-1475770204_thumb.jp

• Like 6

HURRICANE MATTHEW AND THE ISLANDS OF THE BAHAMAS

Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 12pm

Next Advisory at 1pm EST Tomorrow

All Clear Given For Southeastern Bahamas

Nassau, Bahamas – The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has given the all clear for the islands in the southeast Bahamas including Inagua, Ragged Island, Mayaguana, Acklins, Crooked Island, Long Cay and Samana Cay.

Officials at the NEMA said there have been no reports of major damage or injuries on those islands.

On Long Island, which is still under a hurricane warning, there are reports of minor damage with some power lines down. However, phone lines and water are on.

Residents on New Providence, Andros, the Berry Islands, Grand Bahama, Bimini, Abaco, Rum Cay, San Salvador, Cat Island and Eleuthera are bracing for the storm.

http://www.ww.bahamas.com/storms

• Like 4

Here's a good article with some nice graphics on potential developments from Matthew in Florida.

A detailed breakdown of the severe hurricane impacts facing Florida’s east coast

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/10/06/in-focus-the-unprecedented-hurricane-disaster-facing-the-east-coast-of-florida/?

• Like 3

Nicole is all grown up now -- a Cat 1 hurricane.

post-2154-0-26386100-1475784326_thumb.jp

But what is up with these looping storms? This is the current forecasted path of Nicole from my Wunderground app. They're predicting a small loop as a hurricane and then it continues NW as a tropical storm again.

post-2154-0-19578600-1475784512_thumb.pn

• Like 4