Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
breezy

Bizarre Rogue 'Planet' with Incredible Auroras Puzzles Scientists

4 posts in this topic

Bizarre Rogue 'Planet' with Incredible Auroras Puzzles Scientists

August 6, 2018         Meghan Bartels

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kv

An artist's depiction of the newly described object.
Credit: Chuck Carter; NRAO/AUI/NSF/Caltech

"A rogue, planet-size object 20 light-years away from Earth has stunned astronomers with its incredibly powerful magnetic field.

The scientists found that the object's magnetic field is more than 200 times stronger than Jupiter's, which, in turn, is between 16 and 54 times stronger than Earth's, according to NASA. How the object, which scientists call SIMP J01365663+0933473, can maintain a magnetic field so strong, as well as generate spectacular auroras, is still unclear.

"This particular object is exciting because studying its magnetic dynamo mechanisms can give us new insights on how the same type of mechanisms can operate in extrasolar planets — planets beyond our solar system," lead study author Melodie Kao, an astrophysicist at Arizona State University, said in a statement from the National Radio Astronomy Observatory published Aug. 2. [The Strangest Alien Planets We Know in Pictures]

https://public.nrao.edu/news/planetary-mass-powerhouse/

https://www.space.com/159-strangest-alien-planets.html

And it's not just the magnetic mechanism that's leaving scientists with questions right now — there are plenty of other mysteries about the object, which scientists first discovered in 2016.

The object is what scientists call a brown dwarf. Nicknamed "failed stars," brown dwarfs are larger than planets, but not quite large enough to fuse hydrogen, the way stars do. The boundary line is still debated, but scientists tend to draw it at about 13 times the mass of Jupiter.

Originally, scientists thought SIMP J01365663+0933473 was a gigantic, old brown dwarf. But further study showed that it is instead relatively young, at 200 million years old, and is only 12.7 times the mass of Jupiter. That research also showed that the planet is on its own, not orbiting a star.

"This object is right at the boundary between a planet and a brown dwarf, or 'failed star,' and is giving us some surprises that can potentially help us understand magnetic processes on both stars and planets," Kao said in the statement. "We think these mechanisms can work not only in brown dwarfs, but also in both gas giant and terrestrial planets."

The team is particularly excited by the new research because it relies in part on radio observations of the object's auroras — which means that radio telescopes may be able to identify new planets by their auroras."

https://www.space.com/41390-rogue-brown-dwarf-auroras-magnetic-field.html

One thing I can't get, they're saying 20 light years from Earth, but Mars is not 20 light years from Earth. The video below shows it being between the two.

Cosmic Dreamer posted the following video on shout thread.  Please watch and listen to what is said.

In the following video they talk about "Blue". I believe "Blue" is that planet several of us were watching, over Turialba, in Costa Rica, several years ago and posted many pictures of, here on CHANI, on Neo's planetary thread.  Marshall Masters called it "Blue".

Strong Magnetic Interactions and the Heart

3 people like this

A couple more things to add.  A newer video.

Object Detected Between Mars and Earth?

UFO Or Unknown Celestial Object Passes Between Earth & Mars On July 26th 2018  >video above includes this

Then I ran across this article several days ago and now I wonder if it all has to do with this new planet business.  All of this info started coming out around July 30/31, 2018.

New radio telescope picks up mysterious signal from space

Eric Mack       July 31, 2018

"The observatory in Canada may have already found clues to one of the newest mysteries in astronomy.

A new radio telescope in Canada is doing its job picking up mysterious signals from deep space known as "fast radio bursts" (FRBs).

The Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment (CHIME) in British Columbia detected the first-ever FRB at frequencies below 700 MHz on July 25, a signal named FRB 180725A.

As you might guess, FRBs are milliseconds-long bursts of radio emissions that come from some unknown source across the universe. They're one of the newer cosmic mysteries around, having been first detected only about a decade ago. Possible explanations include bursts from magnetars, exploding black holes, and yes, highly advanced alien civilizations.

CHIME has been operating for less than a year and is designed to gather data on FRBs and other unanswered questions in astrophysics. The detection of FRB 180725A is very preliminary at this point. It was announced in an online "Astronomer's Telegram" post intended to encourage other astronomers "to search for repeated bursts at all wavelengths."

snip

https://www.cnet.com/news/new-radio-telescope-picks-up-mysterious-signal-from-space/

4 people like this

Reposting from the Shouts thread. I listed few links for the articles in regards to the "planet".

3 people like this

Only one reason I can think of unity, and that would be, because just maybe there is something they are not telling us? When I watched that video Cosmic Dreamer posted about how something had interacted with earth's magnetic field, and then ran across this article about the "rogue" planet with such intense magnetic qualities, I felt there was quite possibly a connection (forgive the pun).  

3 people like this