Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JammerAAP

arrival

33 posts in this topic

*** WARNING POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT ***

So who's seen "arrival"?

I just saw it and my mind is totally a buzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The concepts are amazing. Amazingly amazing.

So apparently, my avatar is a name. Call me 'Abbott'.:)

8 people like this

I wanted to go and check it out myself.

Great to hear your very positive response to the movie! Thanks for the encouraging post!(・ω・)ノ

I will go check it out over the weekend.

5 people like this

I saw it today. It's pretty interesting how they decided to tell the story. Trying not to reveal anything, I'll just say it's pretty cool when you get it.

I was also surprised to find myself feeling quite emotional towards the end when things are revealed. Probably no one else in the theater felt like that. Lol. Certain things just triggered some things in me I guess.

If more people see it, maybe we can have a TeamSpeak chat about it some time.

It's definitely something Chaniites would like. 

7 people like this

I'm itching to talk to folks about it! My kids made me promise not to say anything to ruin it for them, as they haven't seen it yet, and I wont. But its soooo Chani!

And Kandy' doesn't it make you look at the 'entity' in a different manner? Maybe it was a 'gift' all along? Maybe it's not a date we need to keep obsessing over? Turn it all inside out......

As soon as numbers rise, it would be a great teamspeak session.

Hehe, thinking of changing my screen name to Abbott.

8 people like this

7 minutes ago, JammerAAP said:

And Kandy' doesn't it make you look at the 'entity' in a different manner? Maybe it was a 'gift' all along? Maybe it's not a date we need to keep obsessing over? Turn it all inside out......

As soon as numbers rise, it would be a great teamspeak session.

✋?Yes, absolutely, Abbott. ?

It does bring things into more clarity about the entity. Also, about things in my own life. That recognition is, I think, what made me emotional. Like, aha, that's why... (might be too spoilerish). It definitely reframed my perspective, even having already been aware of and into those concepts.

I wonder if the uninitiated into those concepts got it. I did enjoy the journey of the story telling, even more after I uunderstood what was going on ( if that makes sense). I also wonder if this is also part of the conditioning process. If so, it is a big step up for the masses.

I might need to check out the short story.

8 people like this

Yes, yes, yes!! My son, who is the least (in my family) into this type of thing, saw it this morning and was amazed. Love him to bits, but he usually doesn't go for this kind of show, but was talking about the concepts, and got it 100% and is applying it to elements of his life. Hehe, he works for Apple, which I have always told him was far more than two guys and a garage, to now what it is today.

I tend to get emotional in movies myself, and never hold back, I was curious that most of the audience stayed right till the end, knowing that there was likely nothing during or after the credits.

What this did achieve in my own mind, was that the elections just gone by, the wars just started, the tragedy there, the fire there, the news, facebook, magazines....

E V E R Y T H I N G is designed to hold back and trap us in a particular mind set, and switch off that curiosity and out of the box thinking. Ignoring dreams, ideas and oddities that don't fit into the script.

It's why sites like this are so important, and really nice to connect with others. Like minded or not.

9 people like this

I stayed through the end of the credits. One reason was to confirm that it was Max Richter's song at the beginning and end. I mean, I knew it was from the first notes because I have listened to that song (On the Nature of Daylight) probably hundreds of times. I love Richter's compositions. I listen to his stuff a lot when I work. 

Another reason I have started staying through all of the credits is to honor all of the hundreds of people who work on these films.

Finally, I just want to make sure there are no extra scenes, like the double extras after the Dr Strange credits. ? I really took my cues from the other people in the theater on that one. There was a large group that obviously knew what to expect. But a lot of people missed it because they left before the credits ended. Plus I also wanted to see if I had guessed correctly that Pink Floyd did the main song.

6 people like this

Come on other Chani friends, you have to go see it so we can all talk in TS about it -- before Abbott and I bust a gut trying to talk about it without giving spoilers. ;D

Though I will say it is an interesting challenge and kind of fun to discuss a movie without spoiling it.

6 people like this

Not ignoring you here, I just haven't seen the movie!  Carry on your conversation.

7 people like this

Hi Deek's. Oh I know you're gonna love it. You and hub' will be chattin about it and how it relates to a lot of interesting topics here.

I think Kandy and I are struggling not to leak any juicy bits...

5 people like this

Well darn it i will have to wait until it comes out on dvd. 

7 people like this

When 2 more 'likes' came up I thought I must have posted again.:wink:

Well, the stars must have aligned for us yesterday because the ute was scheduled to be serviced in town, the weekly organic market was on and when I checked the day before, 'Arrival' was showing for the next 2 days as well!!  So of course we went.  I've generally shunned sci-fi movies, probably because of the inevitable violence in them shoved down our throats over the decades.  This movie was refreshingly thoughtful and moved with gentle but strong rhythm.  Lots of surprises for me and the sort of movie I play back (and forth) in my head to think about.  I'll get it on DVD when it comes out.  As far as hubby, he remains the strong, silent type on these things.  Thanks Jammer, for recommending it!

9 people like this

I'm so glad you got to see it, deekin!

It was refreshingly thoughtful, wasn't it? I'm pretty certain I need to see it again because there seem to be many subtle layers to it. I keep thinking about it too.

It's funny. I told my friend that I saw it. And she immediately recoiled and said she would never see it because it scares her. And I was like, it's really not that kind of alien movie. It's not Independence Day or Starship Troopers or anything like that. But I do think that is the reaction many would have if we have open contact. ??? Hmmmm. I wonder if her strong reaction means we're getting closer to something and her subconscious is in touch with that. It's hard to explain, but I was a little taken aback by the intensity of her assertion. I know it sounds strange because we were talking about a movie, my immediate reaction was to really reassure her about it. Not because I want her to see the movie, but because of what I felt was the underlying emotional response to just the mention of it.

I listened to Clyde Lewis' show from yesterday and his focus was on how it's about communication and not just focusing on words as you may misunderstand what's being conveyed. Also linear vs non-linear communication. And he related it to what's going on in the US right now.

I have some thoughts about the movie other than the communication angle, but I thought that a good one.

9 people like this

When I looked the movie up I found there is also 'The Arrival' from 1996.  Haven't seen that one but I'd be sure it had the old style format.

ps - Hubby IS talking about it!:)

8 people like this

Here is Clyde Lewis' show that I mentioned above. Note that the picture on the soundcloud background has nothing to do with the movie. He doesn't only discuss the communication aspects of the movie, but touches upon other themes as well.

Episode Info

The movie, Arrival, not only demonstrates how advanced communication can help us speak to an alien race, but how listening and not making emotional judgments on speech and meaning can keep us from being destroyed. That is why, if anything, the movie teaches us we must be careful with words and that sometimes words and metaphors out of context can be misunderstood and feelings misinterpreted. On tonight’s show, Clyde Lewis talks with exopolitics researcher, Dr. Michael Salla about EXOLINGUISTICS: IN THE BEGINNING WAS THE WORD

7 people like this

@deekin I may rent the 1996 movie. I just watched a trailer for it, and yes, it is totally the opposite of the 2016 movie. I wonder if they named it the same for a reason. To go from fear to something entirely different?

And the psychicfocus/WSJ thing is interesting. I do feel that undercurrent as well. But these days, there are so many undercurrents!! One thing I do feel though is whatever was locking us down for the past many years has been unlocked. I'm strapped in and eyes open. :wink:

6 people like this

I can't wait to see the Arrival movie.  These are the movies I really enjoy going to see at the movies versus waiting for them to come out on dvd. 

I'm wondering too why the big nod towards the Zapruder film in WSJ.  That actually came out quite a while back.  makes no sense.  but it appears the government had its way and eventually got possession of the film.

The final indignity—or bonanza, depending your point of view—took place in the 1990s. The Zapruders had long before deposited the original film and authenticated copies in the National Archives for safekeeping. Over the years, pressure built to make all the assassination files available to the public. The result was the 1992 JFK Records Act and eventually a move by the government to seize the original film from the family. Legally, this was a “taking” under the doctrine of eminent domain, which allows the appropriation of private property for public purposes for fair value. The seizure led to a bizarre arbitration process that wound up paying the Zapruders $16 million—$23 million today—for Abe’s 26 seconds of film. The Dallas Morning News called it “blood money,” confirming Abraham Zapruder’s original fear that the family would be damned as profiteers.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/twenty-six-seconds-that-changed-the-world-1478895311

Maybe it was a nod toward the writer of the article Edward Kosner as I noticed this below the article.

—Mr. Kosner wrote about the Kennedy assassination for Newsweek in 1963 and later edited that magazine, as well as New York, Esquire and the New York Daily News.

5 people like this

The Zapruder film will also tie in w the Mandela Effect when people remember differently how many seats/people were in Kennedy's car.  And that ties in with the Arrival movie too, in an ME way.

6 people like this

mainlogo.jpgType in THE ARRIVAL into the search engine,expand the video player to full screen and enjoy.1996 version only available,starring Charlie Sheen

6 people like this

I remember the original version of Arrival with Sheen.  It's one of his better jobs as an actor.  But, as usual, aside from ET, aliens are not nice.

7 people like this

OK - I just saw it - PHENOMENAL!!!!! Still absorbing everything....or rather...associating what they were saying to what I already have learned (via people and places like here!)

7 people like this

My wife and I saw it today. I enjoyed it. I like a movie that is thought provoking. My wife not so much, lol. As we were leaving she asked if I liked it and my reply was I am still wrapping my brain around it. What I did find odd was only about 10 people in the theater. I am not that old at 50 but all but a few were much older than us. No young people there. Maybe they were watching something else. I think another movie The Perfect Beast was playing. 

9 people like this

I guess for me, the biggest concept in this is that our current mechanisms of communication are so limited and blocking.

Being linearly based, it actually blocks new concepts and new ways to learn, develop and express ourselves.

Plus all the emotion that powers so much of our communications and expression.

The series WestWorld is also aligning with this non linear concept of communication, and besides all the violence, is refreshing in the psych aspects.

The entity certainly wasnt conversing ina  linear fashion, yet we limited it's communication to just that, and applied a date!

Time (pun) to relook at that.....

9 people like this