Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Orion

Are you prepared? Home and B.O.B. basics

37 posts in this topic

Hello fellow forum members, I noticed that so far no one has posted a thread on survival or the need of a Bug Out Bag. Seeing that we live in very interesting times (natural disasters, war, Hopi prophecy, Elenin, Earthquakes etc.) I was wondering how many of you are prepared for if and when the proverbial shit hits the fan type of scenario? do you know what to do?

If not, I will try and explain the basics of what you should have at hand on a moments notice....just in case!

For starters, lets just concentrate on your home and if you are either stuck there or where leaving is not an option (BOB is basically the same but portable and as light weight as possible for a fast escape). Most people should have enough supplies for at least 72 hours for each person......more if possible in the case that help may be a long time a coming. There are a lot of websites that have a list of what you should have in your home and some very from site to site but for the most part, follow the same guide lines.  Im sure most of you already know this info and PLEASE if I miss anything ADD it to the list. Basically a Bug Out Bag is everything you would have in your home kit but portable and ready at a moments notice in case you have to flee your home. Have more than 1. Keep one where it is very handy and one in your car if you have the room.

Home:

-Water: we all need it so make sure to have at least 1 gallon per person per day on hand. Also a good water filtration system in case you run out of pure and have to use an alternate source. I suggest something like this:http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/WaterTreatment/PRD~4013-733/katadyn-pocket-water-filter.jsp  it may be expensive but you don't want to skimp on this type of item...your life may depend on it. Also extra filters and water purification tablets.

-Food: some places say you should have at least 3600 calories of food per person per day. Now you want to stock a lot of canned goods, rice, freeze dried goods that have a long shelf life. If you have infants or children whether or not mom is breast feeding you should also have a couple of cans of the powdered formula on hand. You can also buy MRE's which are ready to eat meals and do not require heating. Here's one place you can but them in bulk: http://www.thereadystore.com/mre

-First Aid Kit: Now this will be up to you how extensive this is. You can go from basic needs to a full on almost surgical pack if you want. Its really your preference. For myself and family I decided to go with a pretty expensive kit...not quite a paramedic bag but will handle lots of medical scenarios. For those of you with allergies, stock extra epi-pens.  Charcoal and iodine tablets are also good to have on hand.

-Radio's, flashlights and gadgets: Now again its your choice there are those that do not require batteries and are crank driven but if you go with battery ones remember to pack extra batteries into your kit. Here's an example of one that I like: http://www.ambientweather.com/amwr088x2kit.html. Also, depending on the situation a good but affordable Geiger Counter and extra batteries for it: http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=geiger+counters&_armrs=1&_dmd=2&_from=&_ipg=.  Glow sticks are also a good idea to have in a pinch.

-Fire: Good water and wind proof matches in a sealed waterproof container. Also handy to have a few butane lighters in the pack

-Toiletries: Tooth brush, tooth paste, dental floss, toilet paper, diapers (for kids......or adults lol) shampoo and conditioner packs, razor, napkins and sanitary napkins. Also consider adding cutlery into the kit...one of each type for each family member.

-Blankets and Clothing: good mountaineering sleeping bags are best but if you don't have them, wool or space blankets (silver foil ones) will do. Just don't use cotton. Have at least 2 changes of socks, underwear, pants shirts and jackets etc.....for ALL seasons. (good light weight rain gear is needed too...for the BOB). SHOES/BOOTS: make sure they are comfortable and of good quality walking shoe or boot (weather proof if you can) because if you have to leave your location you don't want to have to be walking to your salvation in high heeled pumps......or anything that may give you blisters as they may become infected. Break in your new boots/shoes before adding them to your kit.

-Knife: A good sharp knife is a must!  A Swiss army knife and or a leatherman tool are also good to have on hand as well as the knife

-Compass: pretty self explanatory

-Sewing Kit: You never know when you may need to mend something on the fly so keep a sewing kit in your pack. You might not be able to find replacement socks if you have to bug out.

-Tent, Tarp and Rope: You can find some pretty good, light weight, weather proof tents out there that will pack up very small. Aside from the obvious rain proof qualities, a tarp may also be used as shelter.  As for the rope, I recommend at least 50 to 100 ft of a good climbing rope as well as its smaller diameter cousin for various  applications: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Climbing/RopesCordage.jsp

-Garbage Bags: 20 to 30 heavy duty bags.....there are soooooo many uses for them.

-Individual needs: diapers and baby kit, medications, pair of extra glasses, nail clippers, etc.

-Entertainment: Especially good for children. This can free up time for parents to plan their next moves.

-Pistol or Rifle: Now depending on where you live, this may not be an option but keep in mind....in a worst case, shit hits the fan scenario, people will want what you have and will likely use any means necessary to take what you have so have something you can use to defend yourself if necessary. Make sure to pack extra ammo too. They are also great for hunting so I am told, lol

A few other things that are handy to have on hand and to know:

- If you have to leave your location, KNOW where you are going. Have a plan in place!

-maps of the local area

-survival books such as : the SAS survival Guide (pretty much covers everything under the sun)

-first aid book

As for the B.O.B. its as much of everything I mentioned above as you can carry in 1 or 2 bags, even if its condensed down....they are a must addition to any survival plan especially if you have to get out fast (1 in the home and one in the car).

Hope this helps and again, please add anything I may have forgotten.

1 person likes this

72 hour kits are great...for about 72 hours...what if the change is so monumental that it never goes back to what it is now.

I haunt 2nd hand book stores to find books that tell me how they did it back before toothpaste and toilet paper were invented.

It is a great list though.

When things like batteries die out , then what ?

How do you start a fire without matches?

Can you find another way to clean your teefs?

How do you defend yourself if you dont have weapons and "they" do ?

etc....

1 person likes this

Hi

We have absolutely nothing  8)  I feel that the moment I buy something to start to 'prepare', that something will happen to justify having begun the preparation.  I feel deeply that we (at home) are in another bubble, on the other side of the scary bubble, and we are only looking in and not participating.  I also feel that the mere act of buying or 'preparing' will enable our bubble to integrate or merge with that other scary bubble.  ;)

Roxie

72 hour kits are great...for about 72 hours...what if the change is so monumental that it never goes back to what it is now.

I haunt 2nd hand book stores to find books that tell me how they did it back before toothpaste and toilet paper were invented.

It is a great list though.

When things like batteries die out , then what ?

How do you start a fire without matches?

Can you find another way to clean your teefs?

How do you defend yourself if you dont have weapons and "they" do ?

etc....

Im glad you asked these questions.

Yes 72 hours is only that. Thats why I urge on the side of caution to have more. If you are traveling, you might be able to restock along the way

1. no batteries, no problem if you buy the crank/solar powered radio/flashlight

2. Without matches or lighters all you would need is a good flint and some kindling if not that, you CAN start a fire by rubbing sticks together

3. Teeth cleaning: there are a lot of different ways to clean teeth.

For example People seem to have used toothpicks, they were known from 3000 BC in Sumer and were a common element in Roman 'pocket sets'. Simple sticklike toothbrushes were also used by the Romans. (Ones with bristles originated in China about AD 1000, where they were used with powder made from soap beans)Wood ash and soot are favoured in many African countries

4. If you don't have weapons, be stealthy. Travel at night only. tie things down so as they don't rattle or clink together. Use tactics. For instance, If I were alone with no weapon at all I would

-travel only at night

-wear camo clothing or something to help me blend in to the natural environment etc

-take a pair of binocs so I could scan the lay of the land before I traversed.

-if I did see other people, I would hold back, follow them and see what they do and how they react to other people before I approached.

Hi

We have absolutely nothing  8)  I feel that the moment I buy something to start to 'prepare', that something will happen to justify having begun the preparation.  I feel deeply that we (at home) are in another bubble, on the other side of the scary bubble, and we are only looking in and not participating.  I also feel that the mere act of buying or 'preparing' will enable our bubble to integrate or merge with that other scary bubble.   ;)

Roxie

I can understand how you feel but it is always best to be as prepared as you can. If not for yourself, for your family. Wouldn't you rather have the means to survive if the bubbles DO merge?

:)  but that's the very thing... the bubbles will merge if I buy into the 'getting prepared' state:)  so 'getting prepared' is the act by which I get the bubbles to merge. 

This is indeed helpful Korvex and I appreciate your time for posting this.

Although I don't have a BOB per se, I have been accumulating gadgets that are dynamo/solar powered.

And I agree with you Roxie, just don't really want the bubbles to merge as I do feel we are isolated here down under but good to be prepared :)

Thanks all, please add anything you think might be also added to the list.

As for those who feel that by getting prepared will spark the trouble in the first place.......while I appreciate and respect how you feel and your opinion on the matter, I have only this to ask: Do you have a family? small children?  if so, do it for them. Lets face it,  Look at what is happening around the world....this place is going to hell in a hand basket and fast. Those days they you fear are a coming whether you get prepared or not and sooner rather than later.

Now I'm no fear monger, but it is in my own heart & soul that I feel I need to press the issue to my fellow humans to help aid in their chance for survival. If I didn't what kind of man/person would I be? not one I could live with, I'll tell you that.  Remember, there are those that don't want you to be prepared I'm sure. They want you to be gone and by not trying to be as prepared as you can, you're just doing them a favor.

Look at the Georgia Guide Stones.......that manifesto was placed for a reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

1. MAINTAIN HUMANITY UNDER 500,000,000 IN PERPETUAL BALANCE WITH NATURE

2. GUIDE REPRODUCTION WISELY - IMPROVING FITNESS AND DIVERSITY

3. UNITE HUMANITY WITH A LIVING NEW LANGUAGE

4. RULE PASSION - FAITH - TRADITION - AND ALL THINGS WITH TEMPERED REASON

5. PROTECT PEOPLE AND NATIONS WITH FAIR LAWS AND JUST COURTS

6. LET ALL NATIONS RULE INTERNALLY RESOLVING EXTERNAL DISPUTES IN A WORLD COURT

7. AVOID PETTY LAWS AND USELESS OFFICIALS

8. BALANCE PERSONAL RIGHTS WITH SOCIAL DUTIES

9. PRIZE TRUTH - BEAUTY - LOVE- SEEKING HARMONY WITH THE INFINITE

10. BE NOT A CANCER ON THE EARTH -

LEAVE ROOM FOR NATURE - LEAVE ROOM FOR NATURE

The ones I highlighted speak volumes to mass depopulation and population control.

Thanks again Korvex, it shows how passionate you are about this and how much you care about other people you haven't even met :)

And for that, I'm going to make a checklist as to what I'm missing and start putting this together.

Korvex....what a great idea and an excellent list! You reminded me of a few things that I need to do tomorrow!

Thank you and yes, the Georgia Guidestones are a "grim reminder" of what some would wish for us!

Thanks all, I just hope that even though it is kind of a doom and gloom topic, people will put some serious thought into being prepared....even a small start can go a long way.

Every time I go grocery shopping I always pick up a few extra items for the pantry.

-canned goods: soup, canned meat, chick peas, peas, fruit etc. At least one or two of each.

-dried fruit. Stick it in the freezer until needed.

-buy yourself a big old bag of rice and store it in a sealed container to prevent moisture, bugs or other pests from getting at it.

-invest in a couple of good solid water containers. keep them filled and not next to any type of pesticide, gas...etc so it wont get contaminated. Also add a few water purification drops or pills (amount depending on the size of tank)  Also CLEARLY MARK the tanks drinking water and never store any other type of liquid in them.

If worse comes to worse and you are having to hold up in your home.....if you have any pre warning...fill up your bath tubs before hand in case the water gets cut off or becomes soiled.

-I forgot to add having a camping stove that use the small propane bottles are great to have. Not only can they cook your food, you can use them to sterilize some contaminated water.

-if the power goes out, remember to use up the food in the fridge and freezer first before opening any non perishable items.

-also have a good sharpening stone for your knife...nothing worse than a dull blade

Korvex this is a great idea for more reasons than you mention...

I would also like to add that these preparations are not for just when TSHTF but also for many emergencies...

Floods...Hurricanes...power outages...EQ's...volcanic activity... tornadoes...the list goes on...

There may not be a "Road Warrior" day in your future...

Every house hold should have the means to sustain themselves for days in the event of many types of emergencies...

I too am prepared and I tell you it is never enough if the worse case scenario were to happen...

Now to add my own list of items necessary for your BOB...

Water was first on your list...You can never have enough drinking water...don't even consider carrying water in your BOB that is not for drinking...

Extra water for MRE's or baby formula above daily ration...

Lint from your dryer is a great fire starter...fill a few sandwich bags and place them in your BOB... Even a butane lighter without gas will lite this...practice this at home...a magnifying glass is essential too...

Multi-Vitamins (a big bottle) is essential for your BOB as well...

Know your route out and where you are going...This cannot be stressed enough...If you have to take to the woods for evasion and concealment stay off the trails...

Don't carry unnecessary items in your BOB... the title for your car will be fine in the car...Keep everyone's BOB's as light as possible...water, food, shelter...are more important than batteries...

If you have injured or weak people remember to travel at their pace...They may be more useful in a camp situation...

I have more but I thought I would break it up some...

Cz

8)

Korvex this is a great idea for more reasons than you mention...

I would also like to add that these preparations are not for just when TSHTF but also for many emergencies...

Floods...Hurricanes...power outages...EQ's...volcanic activity... tornadoes...the list goes on...

There may not be a "Road Warrior" day in your future...

Every house hold should have the means to sustain themselves for days in the event of many types of emergencies...

I too am prepared and I tell you it is never enough if the worse case scenario were to happen...

Now to add my own list of items necessary for your BOB...

Water was first on your list...You can never have enough drinking water...don't even consider carrying water in your BOB that is not for drinking...

Extra water for MRE's or baby formula above daily ration...

Lint from your dryer is a great fire starter...fill a few sandwich bags and place them in your BOB... Even a butane lighter without gas will lite this...practice this at home...a magnifying glass is essential too...

Multi-Vitamins (a big bottle) is essential for your BOB as well...

Know your route out and where you are going...This cannot be stressed enough...If you have to take to the woods for evasion and concealment stay off the trails...

Don't carry unnecessary items in your BOB... the title for your car will be fine in the car...Keep everyone's BOB's as light as possible...water, food, shelter...are more important than batteries...

If you have injured or weak people remember to travel at their pace...They may be more useful in a camp situation...

I have more but I thought I would break it up some...

Cz

8)

Thats great! thanks for the extras!!!!  I knew I would forget some things.

Seeing a lot of threads dealing with major solar events etc, I thought I would give this semi survival thread a bump for those who haven't read it yet. 

Korvex, thanks...

Any suggestions on the actual bag? Size, material? Frame/no frame.

Poison book....shows you animals and plants that are poisonous to eat.

And sad to say, know how to hunt and cook animal.  We are goin ted nugent here.

Also need to have wild first aid book. Example:

If you have asthma or allergic reaction to something and airways are closing up,  cut open a spring onions. And put under nose to open airways. Learn cpr for sure.

Basic life saving skills are the best things to know.

Korvex, thanks...

Any suggestions on the actual bag? Size, material? Frame/no frame.

I suppose that all depends. If you do have to bug out, for me at least, you would want something that wont be too heavy and will be comfortable to wear for long periods, especially if you have to go on foot. Light weight, waterproof and durable come to mind. 

There are a lot of companies on the net that offer many different kinds of bug out bags. For myself, I have a large frame backpack made of lightweight, waterproof material that is also tear proof.  I bought mine at MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op).  Family size also plays into this. If its just you, then you wont need as much gear or space (depending on how many days you are wanting to be ready for)  where as for me I have my wife, 2 kids and a dog so my kits are fairly large even if I don't factor in the dog.

I also bought 5 cases of MRE's which have a shelf life of 5 years. Although heavy, if we are able to make it out by car to start with, we would use those items first.

If we get hit by a decent solar flare.....Most modern cars would be obsolete because they rely on a computerised engine management system... even when you put your foot on the break the peddle is only a sensor that the computer determines the amount of pressure to apply to the breaks...

So break out the old push bike or a normally aspirated car with no electronic ignition ... LOL we are toast when you think about it... LOL

If we get hit by a decent solar flare.....Most modern cars would be obsolete because they rely on a computerised engine management system... even when you put your foot on the break the peddle is only a sensor that the computer determines the amount of pressure to apply to the breaks...

So break out the old push bike or a normally aspirated car with no electronic ignition ... LOL we are toast when you think about it... LOL

yes well the petrol pumps would work either no matter what type of car you drive (steam anyone?)

Always err on the side of caution and expect that during an event where you have to bug out that you will have to eventually go on foot/bike.

I also just want to add that in an event such as this, as much as its great if you can work with others....be cautious. Some people out there will want what you have and will even kill for it.

Spoke with friends and family,have confirmed recent signing of non disclosure form. I've been told reasons ranging from they don't know why to "I can't say".......also several inquiries are just not responded too.

Not conclusive but makes me thing I got some real sh%tty friends/family.

http://thechaniproject.com/forum/index.php/topic,4080.msg31208/topicseen.html#new

With the recent swarms of earthquakes hitting Southern California today, I thought this thread could use a bump