Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
breezy

WATER - AIR - LAND CONTAMINATION

118 posts in this topic

Navajos at Shiprock heart-wrenching vote not to irrigate with contaminated river water

Navajo farmers at Shiprock made the heart-wrenching

decision not to irrigate crops this season with the San Juan River water
now contaminated with heavy metals from the Animas River Gold King mine
spill, which the US EPA was responsible for.

Duane 'Chili' Yazzie said, "The Shiprock Chapter of the Navajo Nation
voted 104 to 0 not to turn river water back into our irrigation system
for this season. It was one of the hardest decisions we have ever had to
make.

"It was difficult to watch farmers make the heart wrenching decision
they know will assure the loss of much of our crops; crops that they are
attached to, that they nurtured, cared for and sang to. Through our
tears we ask for forgiveness from our corn and our crop family," Yazzie
said.

"It was a sacrifice to make sure that we not contaminate our irrigation
system and our farmlands. We said we will not risk the quality of our
crops into the future. It was a decision that said we want to leave a
clean land for our grandchildren.

"Our prayer is for our river, the Earth Mother to heal.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=559_1440343568#SApADDbg4WPo1UPr.99

4 people like this

Navajo Nation Says Relief Water Sent From EPA After Toxic Spill Was Tainted

With its farmers advised to avoid using water from the San Juan River for weeks after a toxic spill of wastewater from an inactive mine contaminated it and the Animas River, federal officials arranged to send relief water to members of the Navajo Nation.

However, some members say that the water delivered to them was tainted.

Shiprock farm board member Joe Ben Jr. complained that water coming from tanks delivered by a contractor employed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency contained oil and didn’t smell right.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/08/21/navajo-nation-says-relief-water-sent-from-epa-after-toxic-spill-was-tainted-see-the-videos/

7 people like this

Small spill at Standard Mine not expected to impact town watershed

October 8, 2015

Mark Raeman

"The accidental spill from a holding pond at the Standard Mine reclamation project west of Crested Butte is not expected to have any negative impact on the town’s drinking water. The spill occurred late Wednesday and is believed to have involved approximately 2,000 gallons of water and gray-colored sentiment.

The town issued a press release Thursday afternoon stating that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) notified them of the accident Wednesday evening. The town was told that a contractor had been dewatering the pond “containing un-mineralized sediment from drilling operations and water from the lower mine adit. The contents had been treated to a neutral PH of 7. The treated water from the pond was being discharged into Elk Creek as part of a planned maintenance activity. A vacuum truck siphoning clear water from the surface of the pond accidentally dipped into gray-colored sentiment leading to the accidental discharge of sediment and gray-colored water into Elk Creek. The discharged material contained a mixture of PH-neutral rock slurry and water from the mine.”

In a statement from the EPA headlined “Standard Mine Vacuum Truck Release”, the agency said local and state governments were notified right away. “EPA immediately notified the Town of Crested Butte water treatment plant and called the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment spill hotline that an EPA contractor dewatering a sediment pond into Elk Creek at the Standard Mine Superfund Site released an estimated 2,000 gallons of water and sediment into nearby Elk Creek,” the statement relayed."

snip

http://crestedbuttenews.com/2015/10/small-spill-at-standard-mine-not-expected-to-impact-town-watershed/

Again in Colorado

1 person likes this

Mysterious purple slime plagues the Lyngen fjord in northern Norway

November 12, 2015

"

A mysterious purple slime has emerged off the coast of northern Norway, coating millions of cubic meters of the beautiful Lyngen fjord with a strange mucoid, margarine-like substance. The unexplained mucus has been described as “a plague” by local fishermen. And its source remains unexplained."

mystery-purple-slime-fjord-norway.jpg

Mysterious purple jellyfish slime over fishing equipment on a boat. Photo: Roger B. Larsen

"The imagesicon1.png picked up from the echo sounders are totally atypical. This is something locals in Norway have never seen before.

mystery-purple-slime-fjord-norway-1.jpg

The unexplained purple mucus is now called a plague by local fishermen. Photo: Roger B. Larsen

Nobody has been able to find out what this weird purple slime really is."
snip

http://strangesounds.org/2015/11/mysterious-purple-slime-plagues-the-lyngen-fjord-in-northern-norway.html

Tx Landdownunder

5 people like this

Brazil faces environmental disaster as deadly tide of orange mud bleeds into sea following dam failure

November 22, 2015

DONNA BOWATER, Priscilla Moraes, Pedro Henriques 

"Locals watched on in despair as the current of mineral waste turned the Doce River in south-east Brazil orange as it bled into the Atlantic Ocean.

The tide of clay-coloured sludge, released when a dam collapsed earlier this month, has already been called the worst environmental disaster in Brazil after it began leaking into the ecosystem more than 400 miles from the dam site in Mariana, Minas Gerais. After hitting the sea over the weekend, it is expected to disperse almost four miles to the north.

People from nearby towns gathered on bridges near the river mouth to see the mud bleed into the sea, with some protesting against the pollution of one of the region’s most important rivers.

Izabella Teixeira, the country’s Environment Minister, is due to visit the riverside town of Linhares in Espirito Santo, with the state governor Paulo Hartung today.
snip

tx Reddwolf

23-Rio-Doce-Reuters.jpg

6 people like this

At least 20 homes evacuated following natural gas leak in west Eugene

By Alisha Roemeling

January 19, 2016

"At least 20 homes were evacuated Tuesday morning after a natural gas main broke in the 3400 block of Walton Lane in west Eugene.

Eugene Water & Electric Board crews were working in the area and accidentally hit the main, causing it to rupture, said Eugene Springfield Fire Deputy Chief Randy DeWitt.

Firefighters responded to the leak around 10:42 a.m., DeWitt said. NW Natural Gas workers were able to shut off the gas after arriving just before 12:30 p.m., he said."
snip
1 person likes this

At least 20 homes evacuated following natural gas leak in west Eugene

By Alisha Roemeling

January 19, 2016

"At least 20 homes were evacuated Tuesday morning after a natural gas main broke in the 3400 block of Walton Lane in west Eugene.

Eugene Water & Electric Board crews were working in the area and accidentally hit the main, causing it to rupture, said Eugene Springfield Fire Deputy Chief Randy DeWitt.

Firefighters responded to the leak around 10:42 a.m., DeWitt said. NW Natural Gas workers were able to shut off the gas after arriving just before 12:30 p.m., he said."
snip
2 people like this

OMG  This is so sad  !

Pipeline Break Spills Oil Into Amazon Waterways

2 people like this

Williamtown water contamination highlights dangers of PFOS and PFOA

April 1, 2016

Charis Chang

"THE morning Rhianna Gorfine found out the food and water on her NSW farm had potentially been contaminated for years, her day began like any other.

Ms Gorfine and her husband Cain were hustling to get their children ready for school when the email came through. A friend had sent through a link to a local newspaper story saying “you should read this and let people know”.

“I remember thinking, this is unbelievable, this is crazy,” Ms Gorfine told news.com.au.

“I had to get Cain off the couch to stop him reading it, saying ‘we’ve got to get the kids to school’”.

The article that disrupted their routine that morning was every parent’s worst nightmare.

It informed them that toxic chemicals used in firefighting foam had leaked from the nearby Williamtown RAAF Base, and been found in some water and fish around their semirural area, 15km north of Newcastle in NSW.

Residents were told not to drink bore water or to eat any fish or eggs produced in the area. All forms of fishing in Fullerton Cove, including for prawns and fish, has been banned for months as testing continues.

Some Australians may be shocked that this could be happening in a country known for its clean environment. But the residents around the base are not the only ones battling the impacts of these toxic chemicals. In fact the chemicals involved have been used in many everyday products.

Residents were told not to drink bore water or to eat any fish or eggs produced in the area. All forms of fishing in Fullerton Cove, including for prawns and fish, has been banned for months as testing continues.

Some Australians may be shocked that this could be happening in a country known for its clean environment. But the residents around the base are not the only ones battling the impacts of these toxic chemicals. In fact the chemicals involved have been used in many everyday products."
snip

tx w
5 people like this

Media Blackout: Large Keystone Oil Spill In South Dakota

4 people like this

NUCLEAR

““Dead animals litter California beaches… Alarming phenomenon” — “Graveyard of washed-up sea life” — “Influx of malnourished sea creatures” — Experts: We’re really starting to worry… The animals are starving to death… Covered in sores… Stunted growth… Weak immune systems “ Congratulations, humans - you have trashed your entire planet.

http://bit.ly/1VybucK

Source http://www.transients.info/2016/04/unspun-news-for-26th-april-2016.html#more

5 people like this

100,000+ people in Alabama told not to use tap water due to chemical contamination

June 3, 2016

"Chemical contamination has left over 100,000 Alabamans without drinkable tap water, possibly until the fall, according to a warning issued by officials on Thursday.

The West Morgan-East Lawrence Water Authority (WMEL) advised roughly 100,000 Alabama residents not to use their tap water for drinking or cooking, as it has been contaminated with potentially hazardous chemicals that can cause cancer, birth defects, and developmental problems in children.

The warning comes on the heels of a US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) advisory that revealed higher than previously thought levels of synthetic chemicals known as PFOS (Perfluorooctane sulfonate) and PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid) in Alabama waters. Scientists found PFOS and PFOA in the blood of “nearly all the people they tested,” but in low concentrations, the EPA said in its May 19 warning.

WMEL general manager Don Sims has advised residents in Lawrence and Morgan Counties to avoid tap water for either drinking or cooking until further notice.

The utility supplies water to nearly 100,000 people in the two counties, as well as up to 10,000 direct residential customers.

“I recommend that all our customers do not drink our water, until we are able to bring the temporary system our engineer is designing online,” Sims said at a news conference.

The warning covers not only fresh water, but even water boiled and filtered at home, since neither method can remove the chemical contaminants.

After building up in people and animals over time, PFOS and PFOA can also cause liver and thyroid damage, as well as immune system problems, with small children and expectant women the two categories most at risk.

“I would rather be over-cautious than under-cautious,” Sims said. “I’m not a doctor, I’m not a chemist, but when they tell one class of people the water is not safe, I don’t want to be the one to say ‘you drink it and you don’t.’ So I said nobody drink it.”
snip

7 people like this

I am sure they have pumped up teh microwave levels again I can feel it in my body- and there is a strange coating on the glass of the car- slightly milky and patched, I am seeing this all over the solar system- from Pluto, under the ocean to my front yard- plus the heavy virus going around  just days after several days of torrential rain... I think they have found a new way to disperse the chemtrails and keep the nanoparticles activated longer. I can feel it.

6 people like this

TOCPrototype_UHD.jpg

THE HAGUE, June 22, 2016 – The Ocean Cleanup, the Dutch foundation developing advanced technologies to rid the oceans of plastic, today unveiled its North Sea prototype. When installed later this week, the prototype will become the first ocean cleanup system ever tested at sea.

http://www.theoceancleanup.com/

6 people like this

Smelly, thick algae coats Treasure Coast beaches

June 30, 2016

"A smelly, "guacamole-thick" muck is fouling a stretch of beaches promoted as Florida's "Treasure Coast," where lawmakers and residents blame the federal government, saying the algae crisis is fueled by freshwater flows controlled by Army officials to protect an erosion-prone dike.

The blue-green algae is the latest contaminant featured in yearslong arguments over water flowing from Lake Okeechobee, which is critical to South Florida's water supply and flood control systems.

At Central Marine boat docks in Stuart, pea-green and brown algae coated the water Thursday and smelled strongly like cow manure. Blooms that started last week in the St. Lucie River continue to spread, threatening Atlantic beaches expecting crowds of families for the holiday weekend.

in article a very disgusting picture, but it belongs to AP  visit link to see.
snip

2 people like this

Who you gonna call? Mysterious green slime bubbles up from sewers in Utah town

Anneta Konstantinides

July 22, 2016

"A mysterious green foam has left neighbors of one Utah neighborhood more than a little concerned after it was spotted bubbling from a storm drain on Thursday. 

The Salt Lake County Health Department immediately sent both its emergency response team as well as scientists to test the bright green foam after it was reported in the Bluffdale neighborhood.  

Early reports indicated that the foam was caused by a toxic algae bloom that currently covers 90 percent of Utah Lake - and has already caused more than 100 people to fall ill.

3684AB8500000578-3704157-The_Salt_Lake_C

The Salt Lake County Health Department immediately sent its emergency response team to Bluffdale, Utah after residents spotted this mysterious green foam bubbling from a storm drain in the neighborhood 

The foam was sourced to the nearby Welby Jacob Canal, which feeds water to local farms. The canal is connected to the Jordan River, which is connected to Utah Lake. 

'It's certainly possible that the water in the Welby Canal here does have some of that particular harmful algae that produces toxins in it,' department official Nicholas Rupp told Fox 13 Now.

But Rupp said the foam is more likely the result of a recent moss removal process the canal underwent earlier this month. 

'The chemicals that they use for the moss prevention process foams and causes a foaming action,' Rupp said. 

But just because the toxic algae didn't cause the green foam doesn't necessarily mean it isn't present in the canal. 

Rupp said the department tested water in the canal just to make sure. Results are expected in the next few days, according to KUTV. 

The foam began to recede after the irrigation line to the canal was shut off, Bluffdale city engineer Michael Fazio told KSL. "

snip

5 people like this

Six Michigan employees charged with misconduct in Flint water crisis

July 29, 2016

"Six Michigan employees were charged with misconduct in office Friday for their alleged roles in the lead contamination of Flint’s water supply, which has exposed thousands of children to the toxin and left most in the city drinking bottled water for more than two years.

Attorney General Bill Schuette, a Republican, filed the charges against three members of the state’s Department of Health and Human Services and three others from the state Department of Environmental Quality, including the former chief of Michigan’s Office of Drinking Water and Municipal Assistance.

The filings bring the number of government workers accused in the water crisis to nine. In April, Schuette, who is overseeing the probe, filed charges against two other Department of Environmental Quality workers and a Flint water quality supervisor. He also filed civil charges in June against two engineering firms that allegedly “botched” their work on the water supply system, contributing to the crisis.

The water disaster in Flint, a city of about 95,000 people, began to unfold more than two years ago. For decades, the once-thriving industrial city used water piped in from Lake Huron, with anti-corrosion chemicals added along the way by Detroit water officials."

snip

4 people like this

3684AB8500000578-3704157-The_Salt_Lake_C

The Salt Lake County Health Department immediately sent its emergency response team to Bluffdale, Utah

Isn't that where the Stellar Wind blows? Maybe it's personal data yuck overflowing?

5 people like this

The 2-degree goal and the question of geoengineering

How much geoengineering would be necessary to hit temperature target?

The research team estimated that society would need to keep injecting sulfates for 160 years to stay within the target of 2 degrees. This would require a peak rate of 18 megatons of sulfur dioxide per year, or about 1.5 times the amount emitted by the massive eruption of Mt. Pinatubo in 1992.

"If society doesn't act quickly on emissions, we may be facing more uncertain methods like geoengineering to keep temperatures from going over the 2-degree target," Tilmes said. "But even with geoengineering, we'd still be looking at a climate that's different than today's.

http://www2.ucar.edu/atmosnews/just-published/122687/2-degree-goal-and-question-geoengineering

4 people like this

Sinkhole Sends Millions of Gallons of RADIOACTIVE WATER Into Florida Aquifer

In Florida

4 people like this

Two States Declare State of Emergency After Gas Pipeline Leaks 250,000 Gallons

Sept. 16, 2016

Carey Wedler

"(ANTIMEDIA) As Native Americans protesters face arrest in North Dakota for blocking the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline, a gasoline pipeline spill is currently unfolding in the South. The leak has prompted Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley and Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal to declare states of emergency.

The Colonial Pipeline, which runs from Houston to New York, began leaking on September 9, spilling 250,000 gallons of gasoline, or 6,000 barrels. The pipeline was built in 1962, and the current leak in Helena, Alabama, is the largest one Colonial Pipeline has experienced in 20 years, Reuters noted.

AL.com reported that according to the Colonial Pipeline company’s spokesperson, Bill Berry, the pipeline could still be leaking:

“The leaking pipeline was shut down [last] Friday after the leak was discovered, but Berry said there may be additional gas still inside the pipeline. The leaking section of pipeline hasn’t been excavated yet due to safety precautions, so Berry said the condition of the pipeline and cause of the leak is still unknown.”

Hundreds of employees and contract workers face health risks from inhaling vapor as they work overtime to clean up the spill, which the company says is contained to a mining retention pond. AL.com reports “the leak was discovered at the inactive mine site by employees of the Alabama Surface Mining Commission.”

Fortunately, the company is taking a variety of steps to mitigate potential damage."
snip

Crew working on The Big Drive ruptures gas line, shuts down I-4
Sept. 16, 2016

snip
"ORLANDO, Fla. - Eastbound lanes of Interstate 4 were blocked for nearly two hours on Friday near Florida's Turnpike after I-4 Ultimate crews hit a gas line.

Orlando fire officials said the hazardous materials team was called to the 4900 block of International Drive for a 4-inch gas line rupture that occurred on eastbound I-4.

The Florida Department of Transportation said the gas line was hit by I-4 Ultimate construction crews. The crews were moved to safety after the gas rupture, and the road was closed for safety reasons.

I-4 was shut down between International Drive and Conroy Road, snarling traffic for miles as drivers got on State Road 528 as a detour.

TECO Energy was notified, fire officials said. FDOT said the contractor will investigate. 

Shoppers at the outlet mall on International Drive were leaving because they say the smell was bad."
snip

OK so a sinkhole leaks radioactive water into aquifer in Florida, then gas line leaks in Florida, Alabama, and Georgia.  

4 people like this

London City Airport evacuated over fears of 'chemical incident'

October 21, 2016

"LONDON City Airport has been closed after an evacuation sparking travel chaos in the capital amid fears of a "chemical spill"

Hundreds of passengers were forced to flee the airport after fire alarms sounded.

Police appealed for people affected by chemical inhilation to come forward.

And witnesses took to Twitter suggesting the cause of the evacuation was a "chemical spill".

Dramatic images emerged on social media of crowds stranded on the runway.

Chris Daly wrote: "London City Airport's on fire apparently.

"All evacuated to the tarmac."
snip

Large chemical spill sends plume across Atchison, Kansas, people evacuated (PHOTOS, VIDEO)
October 21, 2016

"Emergency services alerted residents of Atchison, Kansas there has been a chemical spill. Parts of the town are covered in a cloud of gas and residents report chlorine-like smell. 18 people were treated for respiratory discomfort but no injuries.

Thousands were evacuated from a high school, elementary school and a college.

"If you are not in Atchison, please stay out of town," Atchison County Emergency Management said on Facebook.

Headquartered in Atchison, MGP describes itself as a company where distilled alcohol products and food ingredients are produced.
Authorities have not released details about what kind of chemical leaked."
snip
4 people like this

55,000 gallons of gasoline spill pennsylvania .

heres a list of u.s. pipeline accidents, including this one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pipeline_accidents_in_the_United_States_in_the_21st_century

"Early estimates have 54,600 gallons of raw gasoline spilling loose, according to Jeff Shields, a spokesman with Sunoco Logistics."

"The spill could impact water supplies, said Susan Turcmanovich, external affairs officer for Pennsylvania American Water."

"Turcmanovich said storage tanks are being filled on site. Should the plant need to be shut down, customers will be serviced with water from alternative supplies — either from storage tanks or redirected from the White Deer plant."

"“We’re just watching to see where this gas flume goes,” Turcmanovich said."

http://www.dailyitem.com/news/sunoco-rep-says-gallons-of-gas-spills-into-susquehanna-river/article_0123a35a-97bd-11e6-846e-cf39c15fe053.html

how many sunoco accidents ? are they inspected in pennsyvania ?

" Pennsylvania’s Public Utility Commission was given authority to do safety inspections over what are called gathering lines, these are the pipelines that deliver natural gas from the wellhead, to larger intrastate, or interstate pipelines. Gathering lines are classified based on the population density of the area in which they are built. The PUC has jurisdiction over class 2, 3, and 4, which include about 1200 miles of pipe.

As an example, class 2 lines encompass any pipelines that are constructed in an area populated by more than 11 buildings designed for human occupancy within one square mile. In reality, these inspections are confined to paperwork, such as checking on a welder’s certification during construction.

Class 1 lines are in the most rural areas, (less than 10 buildings per square mile) and do not fall under any local, state or federal jurisdiction. Class 1 gathering lines encompass the bulk of the gathering pipelines. The PUC estimates that Pennsylvania has about 12,000 miles of these unregulated pipelines.

In addition to the intrastate, interstate and gathering lines, there’s another undefined category called “production pipes,” which may be constructed from the wellhead to a gathering line. The PUC has no information on these lines."

"The PUC has 13 inspectors for about 46,000 miles of pipelines that are categorized as public utilities. Both the PUC and the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency have to be notified within an hour if an incident occurs. But when it comes to class 1 pipelines, notification requirements only kick in if there’s a death or injury. And in that case, the company would contact the state fire marshal."

npr project..

https://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylvania/tag/pipelines/

the following  is an interactive assets map from sunoco site . see the red and blue lines...picture mapping of veins (blue), arteries (red)...this is 1 company . picture maps that would fill u.s. amazing....take a look..

http://www.sunocologistics.com/Customers/Business-Lines/Asset-Map/241/

now i ask you...dakota access pipeline matters ?

sunoco is owned by energy transfer partners (etp) they also own dakota access pipeline.

see their map below...

http://www.energytransfer.com/ops_map.aspx

3 people like this