Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'bleach'.
Found 1 result
Thanks to many years of continual advertising and message bombardment, most people believe that bleach kills mould (I will use Aussie spelling here). For the last 5 years (and after studying some microbiology at uni), I have been trying to inform my closest friends and family that this is not the case, but I get nothing but blank stares or a "yeah yeah" in response. Out of frustration, I'm going to post a little snippet here so that more people are aware of this and what to use for mould removal. As you probably know, mould is just another invader that causes havoc within the body when the immune system is run down. It is best to minimise mould contamination within your everyday dwelling; just don't use bleach! AND DON'T BELIEVE THE ADVERTISING! Taken from this site: http://mycologia.com.au/mythsaboutmould/ (I am so grateful for this website). MYTH # 1 BLEACH KILLS MOULD We all know how to get rid of mould in our house, right? Just pour some bleach on it and it goes away, until the next time that you need to pour bleach on it again. Most chemicals have been proven to be ineffective against mould in the long run. The widespread use of chemicals fails to correct the original reason why the mould grew there in the first place. It also introduces additional air pollution into the indoor air. Specifically, bleach has a high pH which makes it ineffective to kill mould. The mould detects the bleach as a chemical attack and defends itself with exo-enzymes and a good defending membrane. (My note: Basically, the mould creates an extra layer of protective 'skin' around itself). The exo-enzymes makes the chlorine compounds in the bleach inert which then the fungi uses it as a food source. So when we put bleach on mould we are actually feeding it. Visually it looks like the mould is disappearing because bleach “bleaches” which means it strips the melanin compounds out of the hyphal membrane (just like the melanin in our skin when we get a sun tan). Three weeks later the fungi hyphae recovers the melanin content and the mould becomes visible again so it was actually never gone. See our new Scientific research into why Bleach should be avoided and why it doesn't kill mould <snip> Mould Cleaning solutions only work in the right dilutions. The most effective cleaning solution that we have against mould so far is our favourite salad dressing - vinegar. This is claimed to be the most effective because it actually kills mould, but doesn't introduce a new chemical pollutant into the indoor air. Vinegar is even used by some European hospitals as one of their main disinfectants. A point of note is that only white fermented vinegar seems to work, as synthetic acetic acid does not appear to be effective. Diluted alcohol or methylated spirits is another effective mould killer, but there are a number of issues concerning its storage, handling, OHS, PPE, duty of care and its effects on some surfaces that make it difficult to recommend as a widespread mould killer. (My note: Once again, we see that natural substances out-win synthetically made. Can we ever beat nature?). <snip> Please visit the website for more good info: http://mycologia.com.au/mythsaboutmould/ and http://mycologia.com.au/dont-use-bleach/