The CHANI Project Conspiracy Forum
Sign in to follow this  
breezy

FCC effort to regulate internet ignores history of past failures

FCC effort to regulate internet ignores history of past failures

Feb. 24, 2015

Scott Wallsten

post-5-0-79091400-1424928323_thumb.jpg

Will the FCC repeat past mistakes of regulating telecommunications as utilities? Shutterstock

"Federal Communications Commission (FCC) chairman Tom Wheeler claims that his plan to regulate Internet Service Providers (ISPs) under Title II of the 1934 Telecommunications Act is “rooted in long-standing regulatory principles.”

That’s not necessarily a good thing.

While the specifics differ by industry, economics research over the past half century has consistently found Title II-style regulation to be inefficient, harmful to innovation and, therefore, costly to society.

The FCC is expected to vote this week on Wheeler’s proposal. While the details of the plan won’t be released until after the vote (expected Thursday), FCC statements and press reports reveal its broad contours.

Until now, ISPs have been classified as “information services” under Title I of the Act, keeping them largely unregulated. The new rules will classify ISPs as “telecommunications providers” under Title II and subject them to public utility-style, common carrier regulations. Under such rules, ISPs will probably not be allowed to enter into exclusive agreements or provide so-called “fast lanes” to content providers. In other words, it would make one version of net neutrality the law of the land.

Even when established with the best of intentions, however, regulations do not necessarily work for the public good. Instead, they become the product of lobbying by interested parties ranging from companies to public interest groups to Congress and others over how to distribute profits. The interactions between the regulator and those parties inevitably lead to increasingly complex and politicized regulatory regimes. There’s no reason to believe it will be any different this time."

snip

https://theconversation.com/fcc-effort-to-regulate-internet-ignores-history-of-past-failures-37953

more stories 

FCC Chair Refuses to Testify before Congress ahead of Net Neutrality Vote

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/414380/fcc-chair-refuses-testify-congress-ahead-net-neutrality-vote-andrew-johnson

Dear FCC: Rethink The Vague "General Conduct" Rule

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/02/dear-fcc-rethink-those-vague-general-conduct-rul

Republicans Fear Net Neutrality Plan Could Lead to UN Internet Powers

http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech/the-future-of-broadband/republicans-fear-net-neutrality-plan-could-lead-to-un-internet-powers-20150225

FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai: Net Neutrality is a "Solution That Won't Work to a Problem That Doesn't Exist"

http://reason.com/archives/2015/02/25/fccs-ajit-pai-on-net-neutrality-a-soluti/

Soros, Ford shovel $196 million to 'net neutrality' groups, staff to White House

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/soros-ford-shovel-196-million-to-net-neutrality-groups-staff-to-white-house/article/2560702

Net Neutrality: What You Need to Know Now

http://www.savetheinternet.com/net-neutrality-what-you-need-know-now

Seems there are as many opinions as there are days in a year

• Like 4

And the average American here has NO CLUE about what is going on.....but its OK - there were 3 "ISIS wannabees" picked up here in NY........I wonder how we are going to thwart these attacks if Homeland Security is no longer funded Friday..... /bangheadhere

• Like 5

FCC Passes Net Neutrality Rules in Victory for Open-Internet Activists

Feb. 26, 2015

BY JULIANNE PEPITONE

" After more than a year of heated public debate, the Federal Communications Commission on Thursday passed "net neutrality" rules: They allow the agency to prohibit Internet service providers from granting faster access to companies that pay for the privilege.

The new rules treat broadband providers as "common carriers" under Title II of the Telecommunications Act -- the same category as utility companies that provide gas, electricity, etc. -- in which all customers have equal access to service.

As was expected, the FCC commissioners voted along party lines with the three Democrats voting for the rules and two Republicans voting against."

snip

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/fcc-passes-net-neutrality-rules-victory-open-internet-activists-n313301

(imo, i hope they do defund DHS, it is against our Constitution to have a 'standing army' in this country, which is exactly what DHS has become. "Homeland"  since when is the USA, called the "Homeland"?? I always thought of the "Homeland" as pertaining to Germany, under Hitler, but then, when a person thinks about when/how DHS came about, and under which "president" it became a fact, and their well known family history, guess it kinda makes sense. However, do we really think they will allow DHS to become defunded? Not when DHS includes the all powerful FEMA, and the Coast Guard, and with all those would be "terrorists". out there, needing to be caught.)

Now what will be interesting to see is how "net neutrality" really works out, and how this plays into the trade agreements known as TPP/TIPP. To me, something smells very very odorous. We all know that whenever gov't regulations get involved, it is not going to end well for the "people" who use whatever they decided needed to be regulated!

• Like 6

I'm, confused Breezy.. This is their page which says

Washington insiders said it couldn't be done. But the public got loud in protest, the FCC gave in, andwe won strong, Title II net neutrality rules. Now Comcast is furious. They want to destroy our victory with their massive power in Congress. You won net neutrality. Now, are you ready to defend it?:

I thought this was a good thing...

https://www.battleforthenet.com/?from=bottomBar

Dear Senators and Representatives:

There is no doubt that the public wants real Net Neutrality. Right now, the Federal Communications Commission is on the brink of fixing a decade of bad policies and preventing ISPs from discriminating online.

In short: Let the FCC do its job. By reclassifying Internet-access service under Title II of the Communications Act, the FCC can protect Internet users from online discrimination and blocking. Any other approach will fall short.

Don't put the public in the slow lane. Protect real Net Neutrality now.

Thank you,

Dear Senators and Representatives:

There is no doubt that the public wants real Net Neutrality. Right now, the Federal Communications Commission is on the brink of fixing a decade of bad policies and preventing ISPs from discriminating online.

In short: Let the FCC do its job. By reclassifying Internet-access service under Title II of the Communications Act, the FCC can protect Internet users from online discrimination and blocking. Any other approach will fall short.

Don't put the public in the slow lane. Protect real Net Neutrality now.

Thank you,

You may get your wish Breezy -although I smell a rat.

Homeland Security Shutdown Imminent After House Fails To Pass Stop-Gap Funding Bill

Posted By: NaturalWisdom
Date: Friday, 27-Feb-2015 17:45:28

Homeland Security Shutdown Imminent After House Fails To Pass Stop-Gap Funding Bill

ZeroHedge
27 Feb 2015
http://bit.ly/1Aj83X6

[snip]

While more votes are expected tonight (and this weekend), as The Guardian reports, a handful of Republicans defied Boehner's leadership and joined with Democrats to defeat the bill.

What happens if we go into the weekend without a DHS deal? In the event of a shutdown, the vast majority of DHS employees would stay on the job. DHS Secretary Johnson said earlier this week that about 30,000 of DHS's approximately 240,000 employees would be furloughed. The rest would be considered exempt and most would have to work without pay...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-02-27/homeland-security-shutdown-imminent-after-house-fails-pass-stop-gap-funding-bill

Source http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?noframes;read=11774

• Like 3

Dr Preston James: Why The ISRAELI SHAM of DHS MUST BE DE-FUNDED

Posted By: Lion [send E-Mail]

Date: Friday, 27-Feb-2015 18:10:27

In Response To: Homeland Security Shutdown Imminent After House Fails To Pass Stop-Gap Funding Bill (NaturalWisdom)

-----------------

(snip)

By Preston James, PhD

Homeland Security was set up by Israeli-American "Israeli-first" Dual Citizens as an Israeli police State occupation army inside America and it's time to completely de-fund it and destroy it forever.

Right now there is a quiet battle in Congress over the re-funding of Homeland Security which is set to expire February 27, 2015 and it is time to completely de-fund it, break it up and destroy it forever.

So far legislation to re-fund it has been blocked by Republicans over their unwillingness to approve portions of the bill which will supports President Obama’s Executive Actions supporting amnesty and a path to citizenship for many illegal immigrants.

Homeland Security (DHS) is a criminal organization with no official mandate.

It is unconstitutional and even worse it is an private foreign based occupation army inside America deployed to surveil, harass, abuse, tyrannize, disarm and eventually to intern and then progressively mass-murder all Americans.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was set up by the Khazarian Mafia using Israeli-American “Israeli-first” Dual and Triple Citizen Traitors.

Now is the time to face this horrible reality that our American Congress was essentially bought by the various Israeli espionage fronts like AIPAC and the like, who basically bribed them to pass the bill authorizing this criminal, Unconstitutional organization DHS in the first place.

The Samson Option was used by Khazarian Mafia Kingpins to Blackmail the Bush2 Administration into pushing this illegal, Unconstitutional, unmandated legislation conceived in hell and delivered in hate.

It was noted investigative Journalist Seymour Hersch that disclosed the Khazarian Mafia’s use of nuclear Blackmail on the US Administrations as well as other nations of the World to get the kind of new laws they wanted in order to complete their infiltration and hijacking of numerous governments.

The Bush2 Administration was informed long in advance of the 9-11-01 nuclear attack on America by Cheney who was in on the plot and communicated the cover story that the Administration had to go along with this and capitalize on the terror aspects to gain more power, or otherwise there would be more Cities nuked.

The cover story (Big Government Lie and False-narrative) used to push Members of Congress was that various American Intel knew of the plot basics ahead of time but did not coordinate Intel enough to figure it out enough to stop it.

Some members of the House and Senate Intel Committees knew the full story and actually were a part of it.

These members of these key Congressional Intel Committees as well as some others key members of Congress have been alleged to have been paid 20 million USD payments as “set-aside allocations” in regular installments by the Khazarian Mafia to assist with the massive coverup about the nuclear attack on America on 9-11-01 by the Khazarian Mafia aka the Rothschild World Zionists and their Babylonian Talmudic Judaic Likudists and NeoCon Cutouts, quite a number of which were stateside and are Israeli-American “Israeli-first” Dual Citizen Traitors.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ACFnYjNH2o?feature=oembed]

This of course is Treason, Sedition, RICO and a plethora of serious and capital Federal and State crimes including espionage by a foreign power against the United States of America.

If you want to see a rogue’s gallery of who are the main perps of the nuclear attack on America examine this now classic article here.

And if you want more actual proof taken from a formerly Top Secret AEC investigation released in 2003 to House and Senate Intel Committee Members, see this.

Or see this for a quick video summary.

A recent Congressional study has shown that the DHS Fusion Centers have uncovered and prevented no incidents of terrorism inside America.

(end snip)

More at Link:

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2015/02/24/de-fund-homeland-security-now/

Source http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?noframes;read=11778

• Like 3

I'm, confused Breezy.. This is their page which says

Washington insiders said it couldn't be done. But the public got loud in protest, the FCC gave in, and[/size]we won strong, Title II net neutrality rules. Now Comcast is furious. They want to destroy our victory with their massive power in Congress. You won net neutrality. Now, are you ready to defend it?:[/size]

I thought this was a good thing...

https://www.battleforthenet.com/?from=bottomBar,

Suspicion about these new rules is possibly enhanced by the fact that there are 300+ pages of rules that have still not yet been released to the public to review. Why not release the full rules (not just a summary) for public comment BEFORE voting on the rules? Only industry insiders like Google were leaked parts of the text before the vote. Now it is to be days or even weeks before they are published? Sounds sketchy.

http://www.vox.com/2015/2/27/8120885/net-neutrality-transparency-fcc

And now the whole internet is subject to regulation where it was free to operate without government interference before. And if we think that subjecting the Internet to rule making is truly to the benefit of the common people and will keep the corps from taking advantage and discriminating, let's take a good look at the oil and gas, the food and drug, and the telecommunications industries as they currently stand. Not good imo.

Basically, what is there to celebrate? We don't even know what exactly the rules say.

• Like 6

Hear Hear!!  The next Question would be this.  In the past, how many times have the people won anything, when the gov't passed regulations? Regulations mean additional fingers in the pie, and there was some awful big money involved in the passing of "net neutrality"!  Do we even dare think those billionaires care one whit about the little guy? They didn't get rich by taking care of their fellow man, they got rich by taking care of themselves first.  :angry2: 

• Like 5

"This Is Just The Beginning" - Strange Events Happening At Alternative News Sites - Kill Switch Being Tested?

Posted By: RumorMail [send E-Mail]
Date: Monday, 2-Mar-2015 14:12:50 

Anyone wonder why the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) refused to allow the general public to view their proposal on regulating the Internet, turning it into an official "utililty," in what they call "net neutrality?" Anyone wonder whY the public still has not been informed what changes are coming? Last, but not least, is what we have witnessed over the last few days since these new regulations have been passed, just the beginning of the US Government's control over what news the Internet users get to see and what they prevent them from seeing?

Over the last three days since the FCC voted for "net neutrality," some very strange events have occurred, including alternative news radio shows to simply go off air for minutes at a time, a popular website that conducted a hard hitting interview with the former Assistant Secretary of the Treasury in the Reagan Administration Paul Criag Roberts completely went down and the article could not be accessed throughout the day, just to come back up, then return an error again on reload, a site that linked to that piece also went "goopy," according to the Hawk video below, Facebook has had numerous reports over at DownDetector.com, just to name a few events that could be indicative of the US Government testing their ability to control what Internet users see and what they don't.

As was explained in a previous ANP article, on Thursday night Hawk was "completely knocked off the air for a substantial period of time, several times, before returning at the 19 minute 40 second mark to recap what he had been talking about including recent internet outages across America, Russia preparing to defend the Arctic region (where they will be building 10 additional bases within the next 2 years) as well as recent documented cases of what could be electronic warfare including Russian strategic bombers flying off of the west coast taking out the air traffic control systems in Los Angeles as well as the USS Donald Cook being totally disabled by a Russian bomber while on patrol in the Black Sea."

That was the same day the "Net Neutrality" proposal passed the FCC.

When the US Government lost control of the "message," when Internet users started going to alternative news sites to bypass the puppet mainstream media, to learn the facts the MSM refused to report, to see the proof in images and videos and from whistleblowers the MSM ignored, the government had to find a way to take control of that messaging back. "Net Neutrality" was their answer and we could very well be seeing the onslught starting as they test their new "kill switch" toys.

More http://www.allnewspipeline.com/Getting_Real_Serious_Now_Strange_Events.php

Source http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?read=12005

• Like 3

Yea, Well... Jim Stone's Freelance Site Taken Over With The First Ball Out The Door...

Posted By: Watchman
Date: Monday, 2-Mar-2015 14:51:55

In Response To: "This Is Just The Beginning" - Strange Events Happening At Alternative News Sites - Kill Switch Being Tested? (RumorMail) 

How do I know? It was obvious!

The nanosecond, AND I MEAN THE EXACT INSTANT the FCC was given control over the web to “regulate only how service providers throttle your bandwidth”, I could not get a secure connection to this web server. That has never happened before, and with this web site now being 8 years old, never seeing this cannot be attributed to a lack of experience. Now, when I log in, EVERY TIME it says “failed to establish secure connection” and after three or more crashed log in attempts, complete with matrix style gibberish on the screen crashed out to white, it allows an insecure connection (probably by riding me in on the desktop of a computer at the FCC) and I can at least get to this edit page. However, I cannot get anywhere else.

If I want to get into E-mail, I have to hack my own server. That is easy because it is mine. But because of what the FCC put into place, there is no mail application that can access the mails and show them to me like normal. It all turns to the same white screen gibberish and crashes out, saying it is not secure. To read mail, I have to access the raw data from the back side. That is not very efficient.

A warning to all the truth sites out there, I believe I know why I noticed this:

I am running an old version of Linux Live that probably has not had all the new government bells and whistles added, and therefore it is not completely compatible with whatever hackware the FCC is running, so I am seeing glitches. If you are someone who bitches about windows security yet is still naive enough to run any Microsoft product while administering your truth site, you are probably newly hacked and cannot see it because your software was designed to be compatible with their hacks and never warn you of anything nefarious going on in the background. YOU ARE MOST DEFINITELY HACKED whether or not you can see it, and God only knows why they are up your rear with a stethoscope.

Don’t count on Windows firewall, Norton or any other “security software” to warn you that you are not running securely, you can safely bet that your !!WINDOWS!! hack has been beta tested on 5,000 different workstations in an NSA hole somewhere and certified bug free so you never notice. Let this also be a warning: THEY HAVE DELAYED THE RELEASE OF THEIR NEW REGULATION UNTIL THEY CAN FIND A WAY TO WRITE IT WHICH DESTROYS ALL INFORMATION COMPETITION AND EITHER GETS IT LOCKED UP OR BLOWN OFFLINE FOR VIOLATION OF THIS LEGISLATION WE HAVE YET TO SEE, TAKE PRECAUTIONS, THERE WILL PROBABLY BE CLASSIFIED SECTIONS NEVER RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC.THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO SIT ON YOUR ASS WAITING FOR THE NEXT THING TO HAPPEN.

The problems, which showed up the instant the FCC took over speak volumes – with the main points being that this takeover was planned for a long time, the systems were already in place to hack people well in advance and they just gave the go to make it happen, and the legislation was known in advance to be approved, with the public announcement being nothing but a dog and pony show.

They are waiting to gauge public response before letting us see their regulations because they are not written yet, and they want to know how to best smash the people before releasing a custom version that will best accomplish that. HILLARY CLINTON HERSELF SAID THE WEB HAD TO BE DESTROYED BECAUSE IT MADE THEIR PSY OPS IMPOSSIBLE, and now that they got their death warrant they want to know if the “kikenet is leaking” and if anyone will talk about it the way I am here so they will know if everything they have planned for everyone will be a perfect enough ambush.

I strongly advise ALL web admins to take precautions, THERE IS NO CALM, ONLY STORM AND YOU DON’T KNOW THAT BECAUSE THE MEDIA BLACKOUT HAS YOUR HEAD STUFFED IN A CAVE AND YOUR OS IS SO PERFECTLY HACKED. They are probably gathering information during this “calm” so they can trump up ways to prosecute all dissent out of existence. TAKE PRECAUTIONS NOW, NOT LATER.

TO MAKE IT CLEAR:

1. Immediately (and I mean the second) the FCC took over, it takes at least 3 attempts to get into this web site to administer it and my older and more secure version of Firefox that is embedded on my Linux Live CD and therefore unchangeable tells me the administrator log in to my web site is hacked and cannot be established securely, when over the past 8 years administrator log ins to this web site worked the FIRST TIME EVERY TIME and never had this glitch. This is TOTALLY new. Now, EVERY SINGLE TIME it takes 3 or more crashes to get in, all of them caused by a security violation WITH LINUX LIVE RUNNING ON AN OLD “LEGACY” AMD PROCESSOR. IMPOSSIBLE!, unless the hack is totally web based and between me and the server.

2. After getting into this web site to administer it, log ins to E-mail via the web site portal (which also need their own separate secure connection) say the exact same thing, that it is impossible to establish a secure connection, and the mail log ins crash permanently with no log in possible at all no matter how much I try.

3. If you are administering an alternative media web site while running Windows and not noticing anything, it is only because Windows has been designed to be hacked from the ground up. It was probably written by the NSA and Microsoft is a front company. This is definitely true to one degree or another if not entirely true. However, Linux is not as controlled, and due to the differences in hardware platforms and the fact that much of Linux is accomplished via reverse engineering to get hardware to work via second party drivers gives the NSA and other spooks a far more difficult problem to work with. Though they may have at least definitely ensured they will be able to hack any Linux distro, those hacks may not be perfectly smooth sailing on all hardware platforms. THAT is why I am seeing these problems, they did not work the bugs out of this particular distro well enough which allows me to see very noticeable cracks in the matrix.

http://jimstonefreelance.com/

Source http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?read=12016

• Like 2

Congress sends Homeland bill to Obama without conditions

March 3, 2015

By ERICA WERNER and DAVID ESPO

"Congress is sending President Barack Obama a bill to fund the Department of Homeland Security through the end of the budget year, without overturning the president's immigration policies.

The House on Tuesday voted 257-167 for the measure that Obama is expected to sign. Without action, funding for the department would have expired Friday at midnight."

snip

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150303/us--congress-homeland-3f5eec67e4.html

Well, didn't get my wish here either LOL Let's see who's in charge of Congress again? Oh,but the Rep.'s are the ones who brought us "Homeland Security" so they wouldn't want their baby to go unfunded, and they attached the immigration bill to it, so that's a done deal too. 

an interesting link regarding that immigration portion of DHS funding bilL

http://wcbm.com/includes/news_items/1/news_items_more.php?section_id=1&id=478861

• Like 3

Here are all 400 pages of the FCC’s net neutrality rules

March 12, 2015

Brian Fong

"The Federal Communications Commission has finally published its full net neutrality rules on its Web site. And they're not for the faint of heart. Together with the dissents from the agency's Republican commissioners, the document adds up to 400 pages.

The release of the rules comes two weeks after the FCC voted to approve them in a historic, polarized vote at the commission. Now begins the next chapter in the story. Expect Internet providers to comb through the publication, probing the rules for legal weaknesses they can take to court.

The FCC's net neutrality order seeks to prevent Internet providers from blocking Web traffic, slowing it down or setting up paid fast lanes. It reflects a year's worth of intense lobbying by carriers and Web companies — not to mention the public, whose 4 million written comments to the FCC helped convince the agency to adopt far more aggressive regulations.

"That public input has created a robust record, enabling the Commission to adopt new rules that are clear and sustainable," the FCC writes in the order."

snip

you can download the whole document at this link

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/03/12/here-are-all-400-pages-of-the-fccs-net-neutrality-rules/

• Like 2

ICANN sees privatization of Internet management soon

May 16, 2015

Glenn Chapman

"San Francisco (AFP) - The head of the nonprofit group that oversees the world's Internet addresses expressed confidence Thursday that it would be privatized and out of US government control by year's end.

Fadi Chehade's comments came despite criticism in the US Congress, where some lawmakers have resisted the plan to end Washington's key management role in the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).

Chehade said all the necessary components for a new stewardship scheme are accounted for and there will be "major legitimizing endorsements" from several countries in coming weeks."

snip

http://news.yahoo.com/icann-sees-privatization-internet-management-soon-214027950.html

• Like 2