The CHANI Project Conspiracy Forum
breezy

Storms to hit Brisbane as Queensland heats up

Storms to hit Brisbane as Queensland heats up
October 27, 2014

post-5-0-07726700-1414472137_thumb.jpg

"Skies are expected to light up on Monday afternoon.

Dramatic lightning storms are expected to hit Brisbane, while temperatures in some parts of Queensland have tipped 40 degrees.

Skies are expected to light up in the state's capital on Monday afternoon when the mercury peaks at 36 degrees, about 10 hotter than average for this time of year.

In Cunnamulla, in southwest Queensland, a temperature record that stood for more than a century tumbled on Sunday when it reached 42 degrees.

And the weather bureau says other long-standing October temperature records could fall by the end of Monday.

Advertisement

"We're talking about eight to 10 degrees above average in some places, even 11 or 12 degrees," forecaster Dean Narramore said.

"We're talking record temperatures for much of the southern interior and southeast inland today."

snip
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/storms-to-hit-brisbane-as-queensland-heats-up-20141027-11cg9u.html#ixzz3HNlkvHqN

• Like 7

I was in a plane flying in to land at Brisbane airport during that time - there was lightning all around the plane - I fully expected a vortex to open up and take us somewhere, it was so dark and eerie and full of bolts of lightning.

• Like 8

I live near Gatton and it was 42 deg yesterday and we watched it hit 40 again today. Geez, it's not even summer yet!

I took a video of my place a couple of days ago from my quadcopter and that is when you realize how dry things are getting.

I can put a link here but not happy with youtube or vimeo at present. Videos don't seem to run properly but it could be my puter not up to the task.

Let me know if it works for you. Taken in 1080P but 720 is all right. The poor palms and bamboos are really suffering and keeping water up to them is near impossible. The lawn and paddocks are usually green this time of year. Not to mention us oldies are feeling the heat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN-tf5QWM9Y

• Like 13

Video is good, Panther.  You do look dry, do you usually have lawn?  We're much drier than usual too, but we were much more desperate around 2000.  And our temp was higher than usual a couple of days ago too, but I've found that's really the norm every year - I panic and think summer is too early, and then it all settles down again with temps up and down.  (I'm west of Port Macquarie).

Meanwhile koalas are grunting on schedule and this goanna was terrifying the local magpies near their nests.

post-2458-0-45028500-1414495424_thumb.jp

• Like 7

yes deekin, that area is normally nice green grass.

Koalas have been real noisy here too. We had a goanna sneaking up on our chooks today but the dogs chased him.

Thanks for the video report. Much appreciated. I think I need a better puter.

• Like 3

Panther--vid was good--- OH I dream of having a place like you---you lucky lucky bastard ;D

• Like 4

You folk in the East aren't getting all the heat either - In West OZ, we've been getting it as well - and interspersed with rain, so the grass is still growing, going to be a wonderful bushfire season.

• Like 6

We copped a shit of a storm last night and lost a power pole and its conection to the house ...we finally got a genny this arvie but I am typing in the dark...have I already said bah humbug,,because if I haven't then...bah humbug

I hate summer

Lost part of the veranda roof as well..its down the hill somewhere

Luckily the landlords horses survived electrocution and decaptation///

bah humbug

• Like 7

hmmmm  sorry Imelda, did i say normal?????   How bout abnormal, or less freaky????  Or less god damn annoying events.   Is that closer?????

I already live in the twilight zone, kinda like it that way LOL

• Like 1

Tried to change the position of the genny today...I think both myself and my son managed to change the position of our spines and vertebrae...we are both now enjoying some good pain killers and the booze of our choice so Ill try not to say to much and give away my retardedness.

LOL

Blah hamburgers

• Like 5

@ Imelda,I was basically forced into buying a new generator after the original ones [a you bueat yanmah] govener came adrift,over revved, and sent a power surge through all the open circuits.It managed to kill 2 aircons,.3 flouro  lights,1 bore pump,1 gas hot water heater.On top of that I have Ergon energys bill to replace my u/s pole to house line and the Electricians bill.Lucky I have Chani to keep me smiling!LOL.

• Like 4

Cosmic dreamer...we have a power surge protector  on our genny even though it was made in the durasic era. We have been in awe at how quickly everyone is fixing all this for us, the landlord came up the next day with the genny and left it at the bottomof the driveway and we got the neighbours to give us a hand getting it up the driveway from hell, Then yesterday the pole man came and started work on the poles and didn't leave till 8 pm and now he has just come up to the house and said its all done and energex will be out in a couple of hours to reconnect the wire.

• Like 4

@Imelda,Ergon came up late yesterday and turned my power back on, yee haa!! Luckily I had a spare bore pump,so now i have power and water.Still have to have cold showers though,shit mountain water is cold,lucky it's hot up here!! I need a piece of string to find the family jewels LOL! I am fighting back against the gods of woe,"I shall not be beaten"!!!

• Like 2

Folks, where I am - totally off-grid - the power company (Western Power) wanted about $2,000 just to look at the place, then said up to $20,000 to connect - 8 years ago, so we went solar.

Made a stack of mistakes, but I did earn a lot.

For those that can, start down the solar path - you can do it in stages, and as budget allows.  Ditto, many (most) of the solar grid systems go down if the mains go off, so ot good in that aspect.

It is easy tho, to set things up and start small, just power a couple of lights and maybe 1 appliance, and gradually grow it out, then, like me, you have to keep reminding the neighbours that your fridge is still working even when theirs isn't.

If anyone would like some help and advice, feel free to PM me.

Good luck and stay safe

• Like 6