The CHANI Project Conspiracy Forum
MungamineBoy

Found - Quote of the Day, Thoughts, and/or Sayings

G'day

I keep a list of cool/objectionable/provoking quotes available to throw at people, events, and/or discussions.

Here are some of my recent findings...

http://www.warehouse23.com/
Keep all products out of the reach of children. They'll win.  
Contents may settle during shipment. Opening the box will wake them up.

"I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
Maya Angelou

"Every good photograph has a secret. Something mysteriously and tantalizingly withheld."
Mark Stevens

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY!
"The trouble isn't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning isn't distributed right.

-- Johnson, More Maxims of Mark

Quote of the Day:
"There are cultural, religious, and even political reasons that the story of scientific progress and political enlightenment are so attractive, and filter down even into our children’s entertainment. It allows us to see ourselves as the apex of history, the culmination of an inevitable, upward surge of improvement. It reassures us that our political values are righteous, and reminds us who the enemies are. The messy, complex, non-linear movement of actual history, by contrast, is unsettling, humbling—even terrifying."
~David Sessions, blogger for The Daily Beast.

Simon: What happens if they [Reavers] board us?
Zoë: If they take the ship they will rape us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skins in to their clothing, and if we're very, very lucky, they’ll do it in that order.
- Firefly (2002–2003) TV Series

Use at your discretion.

Anybody else got some favourites?

• Like 12

“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.”
Michael Ellner

• Like 9

My Mother has a poster in the dunny that says..

Don't whittle and worry

Don't dither and doubt

Just count up the times

Things have worked themselves out

• Like 10

G'day

Found 30 great one-liners from famous comedians...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/9594011/30-great-one-liners.html?frame=2363267

Not all were impressive but I found these ones got to me...

Groucho Marx (1890-1977):

'I never forget a face, but in your case I’d be glad to make an exception.'

Woody Allen (1 December 1935-):

'Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.'

Billy Connolly (24 November 1942-):

'My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.'

W.C Fields (1880-1946):

'Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.'

Tony Hancock (1924-1968):

'This radio lark's a wonderful hobby, y'know. I've got friends all over the world, all over the world... none in this country, but friends all over the world.'

Les Dawson (1931-1993):

'My wife sent her photograph to the Lonely Hearts Club. They sent it back saying they weren't that lonely.'

Dorothy Parker (1893-1967):

'If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.'

Bob Newhart ( September 5, 1929-):

'I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900):

'The English country gentleman galloping after a fox is the unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable.'

Bob Hope (1903-2003):

I remember my staff asking me when I was going to retire. I said when I could no longer hear the sound of laughter. He said: "That never stopped you before".

Joan Rivers (June 8, 1933-):

'The first time I see a jogger smiling, I'll consider it.'

Bill Cosby (July 12, 1937-):

'Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.'

Mae West (1893-1980):

'I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.'

Terry Jones (1 February 1942-):

'He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!' (in Monty Python's Life Of Brian)

Jay Leno (April 28, 1950-):

'Politics is just show business for ugly people.'

Kenneth Williams (1926-1988):

'Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!'

Ambrose Bierce, author of The Devil's Dictionary (1842-1913):

'War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.'

Homer Simpson (1987-):

'Trying is the first step towards failure.'

groucho_2363267k.jpg

• Like 12

G'day

You may have seen the paintings in the Proverbidioms series that started in the late 70's.

The original painting depicts over 300 common proverbs, catchphrases, and clichés such as "You are what you eat", "a frog in the throat", and "kicked the bucket".

Prov1975.jpg

Proverbidioms is used extensively in education to teach about proverbs in classrooms, in corporate creativity workshops, in teaching the deaf, and in teaching English to foreign students.
There is now an an iPad App and an ebook titled Proverbidioms: All the Answers & Trivia.

I just found out where the idea came from; a 1559 oil-on-oak-panel painting by the Flemish artist Pieter Bruegel the Elder.

Netherlandish Proverbs depicts a scene in which humans and, to a lesser extent, animals and objects, offer literal illustrations of at least 112 Dutch language proverbs and idioms.

Many of them are explained here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlandish_Proverbs

800px-Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder_-_The_Dut

If you want to really check them out, a much larger version of it is here...

http://uploads4.wikiart.org/images/pieter-bruegel-the-elder/netherlandish-proverbs-1559.jpg

• Like 5

"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it." - Noam Chomsky

I am not as famous a linguist as Chomsky is, but in my understanding the financier or sponsor of terrorism is not considered a simple participant. To stop terrorism, one has to stop FINANCING it.

Controlled opposition icon Chomsky doesn't define "terrorism" (sloppily or on purpose?). Imho, armed and violent opposition against an occupational power is legitimate and not terrorism, even if the latter labels it as such and the means are similar (guerilla warfare).

It's state sponsored terrorism to support foreign policy, like FUKUS/TR/KSA/Katar/ISR financed mercenaries fighting in Syria and Iraq that is "everybody's" worry. And in this case the equation is simple: no money, no "jihadist". Of course, this excludes the sponsors of state terrorism from participating in the profits of resources and pipelines in the target countries ("national security" according to the language regime of the state department).

I am not really surprised that Chomsky put it like he did.

• Like 3

This topic has come up a couple of times in team speak, and i think  well worth looking at.

Land -- THIS like the post about passing the homeless in the street without a backwards glance, are asymptomatic of our society today --

and is as prescient -- Thanks for an Amazing post.

• Like 5

Hey Mark,

Not fond of Chomsky, are we? :lol:

I think if you look up "participate" in a dictionary you'll find that financing terrorism is also to participate, and if you browse through Chomsky's "Culture of Terrorism" I'm sure you'll find his definition, or rather discussion, of the term terrorism to be very broad.

Words in and of themselves have no meaning. It is we who collectively and individually vest meaning into them. More often than not personal sentiments interfere, and misunderstanding arises.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions" - Adolf Hitler >:D:blink::ph34r:

• Like 2

Hey Lonestarr

Hey Mark,

Not fond of Chomsky, are we? :lol:

Noam not :lol:  (I know logic demands a "yes" here, but then he's not called Yesam ;)

I think if you look up "participate" in a dictionary you'll find that financing terrorism is also to participate, and if you browse through Chomsky's "Culture of Terrorism" I'm sure you'll find his definition, or rather discussion, of the term terrorism to be very broad.

If you look at it without distinguishing roles and hierarchies within the group participating (in an act or campain of terrorism), I agree that the term participate can be applied to the sponsor as well. And there's my issue with Chomsky: he doesn't really nail it. (like in his comments to 9/11).

I admit I haven't read "Culture Of Terrorism", so I based my comment on the 2 sentences you cited.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions" - Adolf Hitler 

"Words can be fences around forbidden regions" Mark Datter 8)
  • Like 1

“Why do some people say, ‘Grow some balls?’ Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding.” Betty White

• Like 7