The CHANI Project Conspiracy Forum
Sign in to follow this  
clubversive

ghost nets.

In the late 70s early 80s i came into contact with monofilament line,it morphed into a fishing net,to be accurate a drift net.To my memory it is 10meters wide and comes in 100meter panels ,these panels are joined, and at the start could be as long as the boat owner spends,nets of 11 miles plus where commonplace for the big boats.They are blue green in colour and when new are invisible to water living animals. It main use was for albacore tuna,very highly priced,then hake,salmon.Eventully the civil servants(ahh an ocsymoron )figured that to many tuna where being caught,(to late) so in there wisdom they put a length restriction that you could honestly fish with this net.Now is where it gets interesting.99.9% of nets hauled they would tear a panel or 2 and this would float away with no bouys or ancors,it is very strong and has the half life of something nuclear or there abouts.it floats through the water fishing and as it loses buoyancy it fishes another part of the water Colom  until it loses buoyancy completely then it sinks and the bottom feeders eat away until it's buoyant again and the cycle starts all over again.now you know why they are called ghost nets.there was one piece of net i heard of found on the Patagonian coast  that originated in a Scandinavian country 15 years previous. AND THEY ARE STILL IN USE.These killers are totally indiscriminate and are raping our seas of life.tweet greenpeace,sea shepards ,captain paul Williams. :( :( :(

Yes Club, ghost-nets have become the greatest indiscriminate marine killing machine man has created yet. And we get more than our fair share of them in the Gulf of Carpentaria Oz, floating down from Indo waters as the result of 'drift-netting' practices. These nets can be a mass of hundreds of metres long and weigh many ton. However, years ago, a guy I know set up 'The Ghost Net Project' whilst he was a ranger for EPA in Western Cape York. TGNP gained grants for vessels, equipment and the training of Indigenous rangers to patrol Gulf waters to locate and retrieve the nets to shore where they are burned. Most Gulf communities are now involved with this project and many people are using their ingenuity and artistic flair to produce brilliant artworks that are now featured in exhibitions. The following site does have sad stories and images but please read and browse their 'image' section to appreciate what has been achieved in this great program.

http://www.ghostnets.com.au/index.html

Its disgusting the destruction humans have caused on mother earth. The things we invent not only do harm in the present, but continue to due harm long after. It makes me very sad.

Yes Club, ghost-nets have become the greatest indiscriminate marine killing machine man has created yet. And we get more than our fair share of them in the Gulf of Carpentaria Oz, floating down from Indo waters as the result of 'drift-netting' practices. These nets can be a mass of hundreds of metres long and weigh many ton. However, years ago, a guy I know set up 'The Ghost Net Project' whilst he was a ranger for EPA in Western Cape York. TGNP gained grants for vessels, equipment and the training of Indigenous rangers to patrol Gulf waters to locate and retrieve the nets to shore where they are burned. Most Gulf communities are now involved with this project and many people are using their ingenuity and artistic flair to produce brilliant artworks that are now featured in exhibitions. The following site does have sad stories and images but please read and browse their 'image' section to appreciate what has been achieved in this great program.

http://www.ghostnets.com.au/index.html

thank you botanic i never knew there was a concerted effort by any country to help.it brings hope.