The CHANI Project Conspiracy Forum
Sign in to follow this  
phillipbbg

2013 and beyond.... Something Is Going On! as it always does

Magnetic north just changed. Here's what that means.

Maya Wei-Haas               Feb. 4, 2019

"Magnetic north has never sat still. In the last hundred years or so, the direction in which our compasses steadfastly point has lumbered ever northward, driven by Earth's churning liquid outer core some 1,800 miles beneath the surface. Yet in recent years, scientists noticed something unusual: Magnetic north's routine plod has shifted into high gear, sending it galloping across the Northern Hemisphere—and no one can entirely explain why.

The changes have been so large that scientists began working on an emergency update for the World Magnetic Model, the mathematical system that lays the foundations for navigation, from cell phones and ships to commercial airlines. But then the U.S. government shut down, placing the model's official release on hold, as Nature News first reported earlier this year.

Now, the wait for a new north is over. The World Magnetic Model update was officially released on Monday, and magnetic north can again be precisely located for people around the world.

Questions still likely abound: Why is magnetic north changing so fast? What were the impacts of the update's delay? Was there really a geologic reason Google maps sent me off course? We've got you covered.

What is magnetic north?
Magnetic north is one of three “north poles” on our globe. First, there's true north, which is the northern end of the axis on which our planet turns.

But our planet's protective magnetic bubble, or magnetosphere, isn't perfectly aligned with this spin. Instead, the dynamo of Earth's core creates a magnetic field that is slightly tilted from the planet's rotational axis. The northern end of this planet-size bar magnet is what's known as geomagnetic north—a point sitting off the northwest coast of Greenland that's changed position little over the last century.

Then there's magnetic north, what your compass locates, which is defined as the point at which magnetic field lines point vertically down. Unlike geomagnetic north, this position is more susceptible to the surges and flows in the swirl of liquid iron in the core. These currents tug on the magnetic field, sending magnetic north hopping across the globe.

“The north magnetic pole is quite a sensitive place,” says Phil Livermore, a geophysicist at the University of Leeds."

snip

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/magnetic-north-just-changed-heres-what-that-means/ar-BBTb3iR?ocid=spartandhp

• Like 5

MEGA River forms visible from SPACE - Ground Spontaneous Combusting - Now a Cyclone Off Shore!

Stay safe everybody in Australia.

• Like 3

YES Breezy ,it has been a horrible summer .We had 1400mms [56 inches]of rain  in 11 days where I live.We had just got over the massive bushfires here in the upper Pioneer Valley West of Mackay between Finch Hatton and Eungella ,300,000Hectares burnt including 3,000 hectares of virgin rainforest.Now a cyclone farting arround of the coast trying to make its mind up where it's going to go.I don't know what else Mother Nature can throw at us but is very very sad to see so much destruction of  vegetation, animals and property.My heart goes out to my friends and family who live in the Townsville  to Burdiken Area[Ayr andHome Hill area,where I was raised].Massive mounts of damage in that area.

• Like 4

So very sad to see Cosmic Dreamer, I could hardly believe what I was reading and seeing.  So much loss on so many fronts. Going to take many years to recover, if it's even possible to do so.  Time for everyone to stick together, like those truckers bringing hay for the surviving cattle.  Things are a real mess.  I was hoping the cyclone would head south and put out NSW fires, or just go out to sea. Hmmm, still a ways off shore according to this:  https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-181.32,-5.02,275   It's hard to fathom 56 inches of rain in such a short time.  Stay safe.

• Like 2

2 orange alligators spotted in Bluffton. What’s causing them to change colors?

Mandy Matney                Feb. 13, 2019

"Two orange alligators that look like they took a bath in some bad self-tanner are raising eyebrows in the Low country again.

Exactly two years after a Cheetos-colored alligator from the Charleston area made headlines all over the world, a Bluffton man spotted two of the reptiles sunbathing next to a neighborhood pond Sunday.

Chad Godwin told The Island Packet he spotted the two carrot-colored alligators, which are approximately 4- to 5-feet long, in a Cypress Ridge pond this week.

Usually Low country gators only make headlines when they’re incredibly large or when they’ve done something strange (such as the one that rang a doorbell, the one that fell asleep on the porch or the one that ate Thanksgiving dinner)

But these ginger gators are turning heads all over the internet.

Commenters on social media, of course, have many theories for what’s giving the gator sweet potato skin.

Some say the gators are supporting President Donald J. Trump. Some say the alligators are fans of the National Championship-winning Clemson Tigers. Some even have worried that the alligators are a sign of pollution.

But experts at the S.C. Department of Natural Resources have a more simple answer for the brightly colored swamp creatures.

“It’s likely due to alligators hibernating somewhere near rust, like by an old drainage pipe,” David Lucas, spokesperson for SCDNR, told The Packet. “It’s like if you stuck your hand in a bucket of rusty water where metal had been sitting for a while.”

sfsdfsdfsdfsf.JPG

CHAD GODWIN       

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/untamed-lowcountry/article226203480.html

more images and video at lilnk

• Like 3

Something STRANGE happening - 3 things occur in less than two weeks that have NEVER happened...EVER!

• Like 3

"Guardian Angel" high in the sky above New Windsor NY - VERY high in the clouds!

Interesting!

• Like 1