The CHANI Project Conspiracy Forum
Acolyte

The BEZERK Continuation thread on TCP

As well as the GRB 20130604A from Draco on the 04/06/13, we also had GRB 20130608A on 08/06/13, origin-Andromeda, hmmm.

What's of more interest for me is that on the 30/03/13, no less than 13 BAT (Blast Alert Telescope) triggers occurred from SWIFT. This is unusual to say the least as I cannot find other day in the last 18 months where more than 3 have occurred in one day. Of the 13 BAT triggers, I cannot find any data from these bursts in SWIFT or Fermilabs GRB catalogues, but still looking.

Hope to have some news on latest detectors in Antarctica soon although  The Large High Altitude Air Shower Observatory (LHAASO) in China could tie-in with the two new telescopes to be housed in 'A Dome' in Antarctica.

China Prepares to Spend Billions on Science and Technology

http://english.cas.cn/Ne/CN/201305/t20130502_101575.shtml

From 2011

http://astrophysics.tamu.edu/TAMU_Astrophysics/files/DomeA_Physics_Today.pdf

If you are wondering how my last post fits in with this thread you are not alone. Whilst they are intrinsically linked, it wasn't meant to go here just yet.

Apologies, I'm blonde, and male, and Australian.  :-[

If you are wondering how my last post fits in with this thread you are not alone. Whilst they are intrinsically linked, it wasn't meant to go here just yet.

Apologies, I'm blonde, and male, and Australian.  :-[

It's ok Botanic, youre having a senior moment that's all... :P :P

Ikarus (Icarus, same) and Dedalus (his father) is a coded myth about fleeing or flight from imprisonment by the Minoan King

having said that,

operational names almost never have affiliation to the mission's objectives

eg

Operation Garden Plot

Lake Vostok mysteries: Biologists find over 3,500 life forms in isolated Antarctic basin

Scientists have discovered more than 3,500 unique gene sequences in Lake Vostok – the underground Antarctic water reservoir isolated from the outside world for 15 million years – revealing a complex ecosystem far beyond anything they could have expected.

"The bounds on what is habitable and what is not are changing," said Scott Rogers, Bowling Green State University professor of biological sciences, who led a genetic study of the contents of half a liter of water brought back from the lake after it was drilled by Russian scientists last year.

"We found much more complexity than anyone thought," Rogers said. "It really shows the tenacity of life, and how organisms can survive in places where a couple dozen years ago we thought nothing could survive."

http://rt.com/news/lake-vostok-bacteria-dna-745/

Never-before-seen GIANT virus found that's so unusual it may have come from Mars

The Pandoravirus is one micrometre big - ten times the size of other viruses

It is found underwater but is not considered a threat to humans

The virus has been spotted off the coast of Chile and in an Australian pond

Only six per cent of its genes resemble those seen before on Earth

By Emma Innes

PUBLISHED: 04:53 EST, 19 July 2013 | UPDATED: 10:41 EST, 19 July 2013

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2370100/Scientists-GIANT-Pandoravirus-come-alien-planet.html#ixzz2ZmoR7RJW

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2370100/Scientists-GIANT-Pandoravirus-come-alien-planet.html

Scientists have found a new virus thought to be the biggest ever seen on Earth.

The virus, dubbed Pandoravirus, is one micrometre big - up to ten times the size of other viruses - and only six per cent of its genes resemble anything seen on Earth before.

This has led French researchers to believe the virus may have come from an ancient time or even another planet, such as Mars.

article-2370100-1AE2ED53000005DC-339_634x506.jpg

Scientists have found a new virus, Pandoravirus (pictured), which is the biggest ever seen on Earth. It is found underwater and is not thought to pose a serious risk to humans

Scientists have found a new virus, Pandoravirus (pictured), which is the biggest ever seen on Earth. It is found underwater and is not thought to pose a serious risk to humans

~snipped to end~

Ok sorry for this double posting but I thought it belongs in both threads, this one and the Oct 13th thread. Aco Breezy feel free to delete one if you desire.

Musings on BEZERK and what started all this.

My take on this original thread comes from outside of the OP (Acolyte) so my lead-in comes from a different direction. This does not necessarily confirm that any of the original post is authentic or real it just adds to the puzzle and could be called a gigantic coincidence, if you happen to believe in that sort of thing like science appears to do.

My introduction to the BEZERK type phenomena goes back way deeper in history than many may have thought possible. Perhaps the organism has been around since the earth formed and is part of its base substance, or it was manufactured here either naturally or artificially many millions of years ago. If it was imported or its mutated base was imported then my information suggests that this was around 65 million years ago and its prime original location was the Gulf of Mexico and its original source was Mars.

Perhaps it’s even possible that Mars had seas made out of this stuff far back in the history of our solar system. Remember here I’m taking about the raw product, not the super-engineered Nano-tech bio-weapon that has been deposited within this median and is using it, perhaps designed as a terraforming agent now called, for want of a better name AUgie.

This sea oil from Mars if I can call it that appears to have certain characterizes which support sentient life in a form previously unknown on planet earth, or at least unknown to normal humans.  Now either samples of this material were uplifted and stored in other strategic locations around the globe or the material was already here buried in the earth’s crust and these areas have been taped and the bio-weapon added.  My take is it’s thicker than normal oil and has an expansive property when pressure released that is nothing like normal oil, hence the Deep water Horizons problem when they taped this substance.

Now two takes on this oil spill event, either they were just stupid dangerous idiots and had no idea what they had drilled into, not likely. Or someone wanted this stuff released!  Form your own conclusions.

As water seems to be its perfect dispensing agent, the fact it is stored deep in the earth’s crust and in ocean areas rather than under landmass tends to make sense and confirm what little we know about it. What I am privy to and this is good news, mostly, is the terraforming agent is not quite as fast acting as many might think. It has been used before!

The original dose as I will call it was doctored soon after the Gulf of Mexico was formed with that slug from Mars. Some scientist, but not all call it an asteroid. It ‘was’ used to modify the life forms on earth, so you might say well that was just a natural event, a chance event, but my friends who were actually living here back then are not so sure, and as I don’t place much trust in modern science I know who I would prefer to believe.  

Now here come the crux of all this, another misconception allowed to wallow in its inaccuracy by modern science.

The Dinosaurs did not die out overnight in some nuclear winter type scenario, far from it. If the asteroid scenario is to be taken literally and the impact sent a large amount of dust and debris into the atmosphere lowering earth temperatures drastically and causing the die off of many life forms in a rather short space of time, how come dinosaurs were still around on planet earth millions of years after the asteroid strike? Because they surely were and its well enough documented if you care to study up on the subject.

It appears the many dinosaurs that survived the so called nuclear type winter appeared to have met their demise buy radiation mutations. Hmmm, thinking to myself it’s the old double whammy, make sure of the kill shot routine! How I look at current events, we appear to have AUgie released yet again at about the same time as a nuclear power station is allowed to subtly or not so subtly start to release nuclear radiation worldwide. I envisage, if this scenario is to be played out in full for there to be more accidents in the coming few years related to nuclear power stations!

What’s the good news here, well it took whoever? a few million years to get rid of the dinosaurs, so I don’t think we are going to be made to disappear overnight. And with any luck or good skills we might be able to save ourselves, we appear to have a few thousand years or more up our sleeves.

Remember this is just my take on things. I hope I’m wrong re the terra-forming agent.         

Edit to add.

Dinosaur eggs throughout the world long after the asteroid event (millions of years after) appeared to have slowly deformed, some becoming too thin to support the embryo, and in other parts of the world the shells became too thick for the young to be able to break out.

The group called the Blue ETs set up a base in the deep South Atlantic approx. 100years ago when they noticed the substance we call AUgie was being activated by outside frequencies, these frequency activations became more and more frequent until almost constant in the 1990’s   

• Like 3

Ok sorry for this double posting but I thought it belongs in both threads, this one and the Oct 13th thread. Aco Breezy feel free to delete one if you desire.

Musings on BEZERK and what started all this.

My take on this original thread comes from outside of the OP (Acolyte) so my lead-in comes from a different direction. This does not necessarily confirm that any of the original post is authentic or real it just adds to the puzzle and could be called a gigantic coincidence, if you happen to believe in that sort of thing like science appears to do.

My introduction to the BEZERK type phenomena goes back way deeper in history than many may have thought possible. Perhaps the organism has been around since the earth formed and is part of its base substance, or it was manufactured here either naturally or artificially many millions of years ago. If it was imported or its mutated base was imported then my information suggests that this was around 65 million years ago and its prime original location was the Gulf of Mexico and its original source was Mars.

Perhaps it’s even possible that Mars had seas made out of this stuff far back in the history of our solar system. Remember here I’m taking about the raw product, not the super-engineered Nano-tech bio-weapon that has been deposited within this median and is using it, perhaps designed as a terraforming agent now called, for want of a better name AUgie.

This sea oil from Mars if I can call it that appears to have certain characterizes which support sentient life in a form previously unknown on planet earth, or at least unknown to normal humans.  Now either samples of this material were uplifted and stored in other strategic locations around the globe or the material was already here buried in the earth’s crust and these areas have been taped and the bio-weapon added.  My take is it’s thicker than normal oil and has an expansive property when pressure released that is nothing like normal oil, hence the Deep water Horizons problem when they taped this substance.

Now two takes on this oil spill event, either they were just stupid dangerous idiots and had no idea what they had drilled into, not likely. Or someone wanted this stuff released!  Form your own conclusions.

As water seems to be its perfect dispensing agent, the fact it is stored deep in the earth’s crust and in ocean areas rather than under landmass tends to make sense and confirm what little we know about it. What I am privy to and this is good news, mostly, is the terraforming agent is not quite as fast acting as many might think. It has been used before!

The original dose as I will call it was doctored soon after the Gulf of Mexico was formed with that slug from Mars. Some scientist, but not all call it an asteroid. It ‘was’ used to modify the life forms on earth, so you might say well that was just a natural event, a chance event, but my friends who were actually living here back then are not so sure, and as I don’t place much trust in modern science I know who I would prefer to believe.  

Now here come the crux of all this, another misconception allowed to wallow in its inaccuracy by modern science.

The Dinosaurs did not die out overnight in some nuclear winter type scenario, far from it. If the asteroid scenario is to be taken literally and the impact sent a large amount of dust and debris into the atmosphere lowering earth temperatures drastically and causing the die off of many life forms in a rather short space of time, how come dinosaurs were still around on planet earth millions of years after the asteroid strike? Because they surely were and its well enough documented if you care to study up on the subject.

It appears the many dinosaurs that survived the so called nuclear type winter appeared to have met their demise buy radiation mutations. Hmmm, thinking to myself it’s the old double whammy, make sure of the kill shot routine! How I look at current events, we appear to have AUgie released yet again at about the same time as a nuclear power station is allowed to subtly or not so subtly start to release nuclear radiation worldwide. I envisage, if this scenario is to be played out in full for there to be more accidents in the coming few years related to nuclear power stations!

What’s the good news here, well it took whoever? a few million years to get rid of the dinosaurs, so I don’t think we are going to be made to disappear overnight. And with any luck or good skills we might be able to save ourselves, we appear to have a few thousand years or more up our sleeves.

Remember this is just my take on things. I hope I’m wrong re the terra-forming agent.                             

Thanks Blue ET, good post mate :)

ps. its totally OK to post it in both threads.

Out of blue, I have come across to the link of this video today...

BEZERK situation of 2 years back...I've no idea if this video was posted before but anyway, for the sake of archiving and looking back how it was then, I post it here.

I haven'd watched this BeePee guy's videos what so ever lately so I have no idea what's up.

I really couldn't figure out WTH the object was but 8:53 into the video, you can start to see the figure appearing. But before you get there, there was another bit he reckons something huge moving around in the "blob"....which I couldn't see with my poor monitor situation. :(

I don't take on what BeePee guy is saying in the video, but interesting to see some organism doing something down there.

Huge Creature Inside "The Blob" In The Gulf Of Mexico!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tGBpUsZlCGE

Idk know what it is at first I thought it was just a darker plume of smoke, but it held its shape so well as it looked like it was crawling a crossed the bottom left of the screen with a crab like leg system....

If you don't mind Aco I wish to paste some older material which is mostly connected to the BEZERK thread, they were never posted here on Chani to my knowledge but perhaps should be.

Feel free to remove them to another threat if you see fit.

Some ramblings from long forgotten posts on GLP that really should be retained here on Chani IMO  These are short posts and not all connected to each other, thoughts rather than anything else these are mostly my (Blue ET) postings that I had forgotten about to be honest but there is some value in them or I would not have taken the time to write them up. (his ego speaking)

Radio from inside the Moon.

In the late 30's Remper the Grotta, the company's Bell captured radio signals from the moon. Unfortunately this incident was marked secret and refused publication. But have time to learn how the radio came from within and not from the Moon's surface. Several amateur astronomers have captured signals from the moon in 1927, 1928 and 1934 on their own building radio telescopes. Arrested in 1935 a similar message, Maroni and Chelsea. In 1956 scientists at the University of Ohio said they arrested a kind of coded message from the moon

The astronauts, when they traveled to the moon, heard from internal communication systems, a strange music. The French writer Robert Saro claimed that the astronaut Al Gouornten once walked on the moon, heard a series of unexplained words. According to the testimony of the enigmatic message Saro said: "Marat (the blade) Rambo ALARNTI Didi ENTAVOUER EES Kunsan Halimi." The message remains until now untranslated, but the ancient traditions speak of a world hidden inside the moon. If one day fall into the hands of our ancient Greek texts to discover not only the language of the messages, but confirmed the identity of these hostile inhabitants of the Moon transmitting messages of mass hysteria over one hundred frequencies for the respective languages of the planet Earth

Posted by zeroo

Then below posted by Blue ET

How to defeat the black goo…using a covalent bond? I think this is some form of (ionic bond?) in the form of metal to metal to try and create a new metal which will confuse the nano or artificial inteligence in the liquid so it tries to reform itself and looses it's own cohesion looses it's own way in life (all I can remember from short conversations with real blue ets)

Also parasites on earth

These are not necessarily biological enemies and it’s not only us under attack, my Intel has always suggested we are not under direct attack from extraterrestrial forces as you might conceive them to be, these are not blood and bone creatures and they will most likely be using mineral resources to get at us. They will be using the mineral resources of the planet, our planet will also be a mark for them, they recognize our planet is coevolving with us, it’s a joint project the deeper meaning of ‘Coevolution’ is Earth-Human advancement in the cycle of events.

Lesser creatures as they are with no hope of advancement in the grander plan of the cosmos they do not want to be left behind and as they can’t go anywhere outside the plain of existence we are now residing in they will try very hard to keep us here to, and that means hold the planet back as well, wounding her as they have wounded us, if planet earth is fighting back in some way we might not recognize, so be it, it will ultimately be for our own good.

So it’s hard to sort the manufactured negative events on planet earth from the fight back of light beings, that’s you and I and planet earth.

The non-human creatures are not made up of living biological matter the only advantage that gives them is long life, perhaps endless life as we might understand it, also an ability to morph minerals into tools for their own use, similar to what we might do to build things, but their understanding of the life within mineral substances, remembering even atoms contain a form of intelligence, this better understanding of mineral properties will allow the ‘Dark Ones’ to turn sections of our planet against us perhaps even with the ability to create earthquakes by the manipulation of mineral deposits deep within the earths mantel. Perhaps they have created Augie or whatever you might want to call it, sounds most likely, don’t be in a hurry to rush into crystalline life thinking it an advancement from the life form which we now possess.

Remembering crystalline is mineral and most likely easier to control by the “Dark Ones” than the present suits we all wear. I have heard all sorts of stories of entities living within crystal formations that and not nice at all to deal with

GOM thoughts

Same applies to Southern Thule it's a strange place

The Puerto Rico Trench is the deepest part of the Atlantic Ocean, with water depths exceeding 8,400 meters (figure 1). Its depth is comparable to the deep trenches in the Pacific Ocean. Trenches in the Pacific are located in places where one tectonic plate subducts or slides under another one. The Puerto Rico Trench, in contrast, is located at a boundary between two plates that slide past each other with only a small component of subduction. The trench is less deep where the component of subduction is larger. The unusually deep sea floor is not limited to the trench, but also extends farther south toward Puerto Rico. The Puerto Rico Trench is also associated with the most negative gravity anomaly on earth, -380 milliGal, which indicates the presence of an active downward force. Finally, a thick limestone platform, which was originally deposited in flat layers near sea level, is now tilted northward at a uniform angle. Its northward edge is at a depth of 4,200 m, and its southern edge can be found on land in Puerto Rico at an elevation of a few hundred meters. Many tectonic models have been proposed to explain this geologically fascinating, tectonically active region; however, none have gained acceptance, and the region remains poorly understood
snip
[link to oceanexplorer.noaa.gov]

The Infinity Affair?

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 241802

Novel good one AC241802

The murder of two fellow microbiologists and a bizarre act of ecological sabotage draws Lt. Colonel Jon Smith and the Covert-One Agency into a strange global quest that will lead from the geyser basins of Yellowstone National Park to the exotic Onsan hot spring resorts of Northern Japan and on to the unearthly wastes of Chile's Atacama Desert.

At stake is the Holy Grail of the biological sciences, the Common Universal Ancestor, the origin point of all life on Earth and a potential goldmine for medical science. Smith's investigation leads to South American scientist Dr. Silvestre Alvarado, who is seeking this special universal microbe as a way to prolong life. His goal is human immortality and if he succeeds, mankind, and even the definition of "man" may be altered beyond recognition, forever.

that book is not so S/F I feel

My info suggests our methods of age testing events and artifacts on earth is not very accurate, for instance carbon dating fallout from the asteroid that crashed into the GOM was possibly way less than 65 million years, did you know BTW, even though mainstream paleontologists will tell us that the dinosaurs died out because of the nuclear type winter that event set up, if you actually do your home work you will find dinosaurs of many types survived for millions of years after that. ??
Back to GOM crash site, this was possibly the largest ever impact of a celestial body in modern earth history (modern in the larger picture of earths past) Portions of that asteroid are still down there deep in the earths crust now covered with water of course. It is one of the reasons there are strange gravitational anomalies close by, (see my other posting a day or so ago} possibly also why the Bermuda triangle got its name.
There are people very interested in getting their hands of portions of the large rock of ages past. Because some say it was not a rock! Hmmm food for thought and reasons for extra deep wells in the GOM that are not all looking for oil

If what happened in GOM was not an accident it does make sense because it’s a timing thing. You know these days you can buy many supplements, vitamins etc, that have a time release mechanism built into them so the nutrients are released into the bloodstream over many hours and not all at once.

I think whatever it was that struck the earth in the area of the GOM was a organic device well shielded from the impact that would lodge itself deep within the earth at that location, I have touched on the reason for that location in another post, it’s a portal of sorts, natural to our galaxy at least, the 19.47 thing well documented by Richard Hogland and friends I should not need to go there with the group of well informed people on this thread.

So my friends who are of the opinion the rock was designed to do a job

because of the emissions it started putting out back in 1947. Maybe it has taken all those years for the receiver to answer back, even on the Bezerk thread we have no idea when these signals, if any? Started.

Aco has never given out any info about that, only that last year the shit hit the fan so to speak with the sub, but the evidence already presented by others and Aco suggest this saga was well underway with those in the know long before 2010. Like how come the Russians already had some form of calibrators in use?

So to me there are two subjects here, splash zones outside the GOM and the main one inside which may well be controlling all the others and hence as been the main focus of attention by the PTB.

• Like 4

great vid Phil,

the good prof did forget to mention that the christian church was secure and thrived during and after the fall of the ottoman empire

all organised mass religions have the meaning of islam ie submission, blind trust and obedience in a lord, turning humanity against itself

he also forgot to mention that the first target of the 4th crusade was Konstantinople (the capital of Byzantium present day istambul)

still, his lecture is fascinating and very well presented

T

• Like 1

great vid Phil,

the good prof did forget to mention that the christian church was secure and thrived during and after the fall of the ottoman empire

all organised mass religions have the meaning of islam ie submission, blind trust and obedience in a lord, turning humanity against itself

he also forgot to mention that the first target of the 4th crusade was Konstantinople (the capital of Byzantium present day istambul)

still, his lecture is fascinating and very well presented

T

Fully agree with your comments there are a few omissions , however his point should resonate with many or even get them to start there journey of awareness.

History is always only the agreed record of events from the point of view of those writing the history, usually it is a long way removed from the true events.

• Like 3

Giant Underground Blob of Magma Puzzles Scientists

The Afar Rift in Ethiopia is marked by enormous gashes...........

Rare reservoir

But in the mantle, the layer beneath Earth's crust, a huge 18-mile-wide (30 km) region of very high conductivity reaches down to a depth of 20 miles (35 km), well below the 12-mile-thick (20 km) crust. This giant magma zone isn't one big pool, but a series of interconnected pockets, scientists think.

The findings were bolstered by research in geochemistry, rock composition and seismology from other teams, Whaler said. "The results from standard electrical conductivity get a huge range, so the additional information gives additional bounds. I suspect nobody would have believed us without some supporting evidence from other techniques."

For example, a study published in the journal Nature on July 4 shows the mantle under the Afar region is about 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees Celsius) hotter than it should be. And although the crust is thinner than in other spots around the planet, it is actually thicker than models predict.

http://www.livescience.com/39724-afar-rift-deep-mantle-melt.html

• Like 1

Airborne mutation?

Mysterious black substance flew all the way to Tokyo area from Fukushima ten days after first explosion — Since then, they’ve been shrouded in horror — “Everyone here looks somewhat damaged by the radiation”

10 days after the nuclear explosion, the black dust in Fukushima flew all the way to Chiba Prefecture, 200 kilometers away. Since then, Chiba Prefecture has also been shrouded in horror

http://enenews.com/tv-mysterious-black-substance-flew-all-tokyo-area-fukushima-ten-days-after-first-explosion-theyve-shrouded-horror-everyone-looks-damaged-radiation-video

• Like 2

I'm sorry if the info has been already posted...

This is an old story but could be directly connected to BEZERK issue, but the time of posting goes back to 25th July 2009.

The page is of a Japanese site, but the original English page they used to get the info is DELETED and unable to collect any data from there.

Thus the video link on the web page is the only source to get to that vid at the moment, too.

The link to the Japanese web page:

http://karapaia.livedoor.biz/archives/51468112.html

------------------------------------------

It happened in Chukchi Sea.(Wikipedia-"Chukchi Sea (RussianЧуко́тское мо́реIPA: [tɕʊˈkotskəjə ˈmorʲə]) is a marginal sea of the Arctic Ocean. It is bounded on the west by the De Long Strait, off Wrangel Island, and in the east byPoint BarrowAlaska, beyond which lies the Beaufort Sea. The Bering Strait forms its southernmost limit and connects it to the Bering Sea and the Pacific Oceanhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chukchi_Sea The image below also came from the Wiki page.)

300px-Chukchi_Sea.png

Video Link:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=db4_1247759812

a5dd4227.jpg

WTH is it? ....Apparently still no one knows.

It's not derived from oil, but of biological nature.

The weird patch was about 15 MILES LONG, so not small at all.

Because it was nothing to do with oil after it was picked and researched, so the authority stopped looking at it.

No one knows why such large amount of sludge like object appeared in that area of the sea...

• Like 5

Global cooling: Are we headed into a ‘little ice age?

Michael Bastasch

October 29, 2013

Global warming? More like global cooling, according to a leading U.K. scientist.

Professor Mike Lockwood from Reading University told the BBC that at the current rate of decline in solar activity, there is a risk that Northern Europe could become much colder and enter a new “Little Ice Age.”

The “Little Ice Age” refers to a period during the 1600s when winters were harsh all across Europe. The cold weather that plagued the continent coincided with an inactive sun, called the Maunder solar minimum

Lockwood argues that during the late 20th century, the sun was unusually active, with the so-called “grand maximum” of solar activity occurring around 1985. But solar activity has decreased since then.

“By looking back at certain isotopes in ice cores, [Lockwood] has been able to determine how active the sun has been over thousands of years,” The BBC reports.” Following analysis of the data, Professor Lockwood believes solar activity is now falling more rapidly than at any time in the last 10,000 years.”

snip

Read entire article here:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/29/global-cooling-are-we-headed-into-a-little-ice-age/

I think we can recall a "mini ice age" being talked about in the original Bezerk thread.

• Like 2

I wonder how they will configure the taxing system so they can tax us again to help warm up the earth this time  >:D

• Like 1

Video about GOM and why NZ should not allow off shore drilling.

Every Kiwi should see this, John Wathen's eyewitness account of the Gulf of Mexico disaster
From June 2013, but just in case you haven't seen it.

Greenpeace  New Zealand

"John Wathen is an award winning photo journalist who recently toured Aotearoa recounting his experience both on the ground and in the air documenting the catastrophic 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

John flew out over the gulf in a light plane and captured the event as it was unfolding resulting in some amazing footage and images of the worst environmental disaster in America's history.

His presentation contains some blunt warnings and important lessons for New Zealand as we consider the threat of deep sea oil drilling in our waters in the near future."

• Like 2

Is there an ocean beneath our feet?

Scientists at the University of Liverpool have shown that deep sea fault zones could transport much larger amounts of water from the Earth's oceans to the upper mantle than previously thought.

Seismologists at Liverpool have estimated that over the age of the Earth, the Japan subduction zone alone could transport the equivalent of up to three and a half times the water of all the Earth's oceans to its mantle.

Water is carried to the mantle by deep sea fault zones which penetrate the oceanic plate as it bends into the subduction zone. Subduction, where an oceanic tectonic plate is forced beneath another plate, causes large earthquakes such as the recent Tohoku earthquake, as well as many earthquakes that occur hundreds of kilometers below the Earth's surface.

Using seismic modelling techniques the researchers analysed earthquakes which occurred more than 100 km below the Earth's surface in the Wadati-Benioff zone, a plane of Earthquakes that occur in the oceanic plate as it sinks deep into the mantle.

Analysis of the seismic waves from these earthquakes shows that they occurred on 1 - 2 km wide fault zones with low seismic velocities. Seismic waves travel slower in these fault zones than in the rest of the subducting plate because the sea water that percolated through the faults reacted with the oceanic rocks to form serpentinite – a mineral that contains water.

Some of the water carried to the mantle by these hydrated fault zones is released as the tectonic plate heats up. This water causes the mantle material to melt, causing volcanoes above the subduction zone such as those that form the Pacific 'ring of fire'. Some water is transported deeper into the mantle, and is stored in the deep Earth.

"It has been known for a long time that subducting plates carry oceanic water to the mantle," said Tom Garth, a PhD student in the Earthquake Seismology research group led by Professor Rietbrock. "This water causes melting in the mantle, which leads to arc releasing some of the water back into the atmosphere. Part of the subducted water however is carried deeper into the mantle and may be stored there.

"We found that fault zones that form in the deep oceanic trench offshore Northern Japan persist to depths of up to 150 km. These hydrated fault zones can carry large amounts of water, suggesting that subduction zones carry much more water from the ocean down to the mantle than has previously been suggested. This supports the theory that there are large amounts of water stored deep in the Earth.

Understanding how much water is delivered to the mantle contributes to our knowledge of how the mantle convects and how it melts. This is important to understanding how plate tectonics began and how the continental crust was formed.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-01/uol-ita012714.php

• Like 7