breezy

'Destructive Electrons Streaking Into Earth's Atmosphere at Near Light Speed'

7 posts in this topic

'Destructive Electrons Streaking Into Earth's Atmosphere at Near Light Speed'

July 27, 2015

Press Trust of India

post-5-0-74087300-1438203899_thumb.jpg

Image: NASA

"Potentially destructive high-energy electrons are streaking into Earth's atmosphere from space at velocities approaching the speed of light, scientists say.

Researchers have now launched a project in Antarctica to record X-rays produced as falling electrons collide with the Earth's atmosphere. Particle onslaught can lead to ozone depletion and damage to the orbital satellites that provide us with the navigation, communication, weather and military-recognisance information upon which we have become dependent, researchers said.

These satellites fly through the Van Allen radiation belts - giant concentric layers of charged particles held in place by the Earth's magnetic field.

An increase in particle density and charge brought about by solar activity can raise the level of threat to our critical satellites. Scientists engaged in a unique study of this electronic bombardment, for the first time employing two distinctly different and distant vantage points high above the Earth.

"This is exciting for us because we are integrating data collected by our instruments with the data from Nasa's Van Allen Probes," said Robyn Millan, an associate professor of physics and astronomy at the Dartmouth College in US. Millan uses instruments carried aloft by balloons launched from Antarctica, rising as high as 125,000 feet.

Supported by Nasa, the project is called BARREL, an acronym for Balloon Array for Radiation belt Relativistic Electron Losses. The instruments record the X-rays produced as the falling electrons collide with the atmosphere."

snip

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/science/news/destructive-electrons-streaking-into-earths-atmosphere-at-near-light-speed-720457

The study:

Global-scale coherence modulation of radiation-belt electron loss from plasmaspheric hiss

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14515.html

A flare that took place in January of 2014 was mentioned, think it was this one

NASA Releases Images of January Solar Flare

January 7, 2014

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory, which captures an image of the sun every 1.5 seconds, shows a mid-level solar flare at the center of the sun on Jan. 7, 2014.jhv_screenshot_created_2014-01-07_13.33.

Image Credit: 
NASA/SDO

"The sun emitted a mid-level solar flare, peaking at 5:13 a.m. EST on Jan. 7, 2014. Images of the flare were captured by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory and showed that it came from an active region on the sun that currently sports one of the largest sunspots seen in the last 10 years. Sunspots are regions of strong and complex magnetic fields on the sun's surface.

Solar flares are powerful bursts of radiation. Harmful radiation from a flare cannot pass through Earth's atmosphere to physically affect humans on the ground, however -- when intense enough -- they can disturb the atmosphere in the layer where GPS and communications signals travel.

To see how this event may impact Earth, please visit NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center at http://spaceweather.gov, the U.S. government's official source for space weather forecasts, alerts, watches and warnings.

This flare is classified as an M7.2-class flare."

snip

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/nasa-releases-images-of-january-solar-flare/#.VbkzW_lViko

NASA Site about Barrel

http://www.nasa.gov/mission-pages/rbsp/barrel

Launching Balloons in Antarctica

from Feb, 2011

"They nicknamed it the "Little Balloon That Could." Launched in December of 2010 from McMurdo Station in Antarctica, the research balloon was a test run and it bobbed lower every day like it had some kind of leak. But every day for five days it rose back up in the sky to some 112,000 feet in the air.

519043main_robyn-in-antarctica.jpg?itok=

Robyn Millan arrived in Antarctica on Nov. 19, 2010 to launch test balloons for the BARREL project.

Credits: Henry Cathey

Down on Earth, physicist Robyn Millan was cheering it on, hoping the test launch would bode well for the success of her grand idea: launches in 2013 and 2014 of 20 such balloons to float in the circular wind patterns above the South Pole. Each balloon will help track electrons from space that get swept up in Earth's magnetic field and slide down into our atmosphere. Such electrons are an integral part of the turbulent magnetic space weather system

that extends from the sun to Earth.

A professor at Dartmouth College, Millan is the principal investigator for a project called BARREL, or Balloon Array for RBSP Relativistic Electron Losses. Millan's proposal will work hand in hand with NASA's Radiation Belt Space Probes (RBSP) mission, two NASA spacecraft due to launch in 2012 to study a mysterious part of Earth's magnetic environs called the Van Allen radiation belts. The radiation belts are made up of two regions, each one a gigantic donut of protons and electrons that surrounds Earth.

"We're both looking at the loss of particles from the radiation belts," says Millan. "RBSP sits in space near the equatorial plane and looks at the particles along magnetic field lines there. These particles come into our atmosphere – following magnetic field lines to their base at the Poles – and produce X-rays. BARREL measures those X-rays. Together we can combine measurements of the same set of particles."

snip

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunearth/news/barrel-antarctica.html

10 people like this

I suppose everyone is forgetting the galactic wave that we are passing through... even NASA told everyone about the electron fields within the wave or cloud or whatever it is and as most electron fields are negatively charged they will of course effect our atmosphere in this electric puni_verse of ours.

Anyway everything is as it should be.... question is have they got enough time to open a tare in this D and escape before it charges them ;) 

10 people like this

Nope, I did not forget, rather saw it as more confirmation of. 

5 people like this

@ Phillipbbg: no we're not. This is exactly it. It's the X-Wave pre-hit - we're getting the first ripple. And 'they' already left the boat. (do you remember the shout I had posted one day a few weeks ago? I asked everyone if they had the same take that morning...I woke up with the very obvious feeling that the captains had abandoned the boat - I thought we're on our own, but I think there's still a faction there watching for us).

2 people like this

well Dot you have your info and fair enough, it does not agree with mine. which is fine. at least we agree to changing events currently occurring

oh and my info says quite bluntly 'They are still here' plus when they leave if they can they will leave one behind to complete the protocol. lets hope you are correct and my guys are incorrect .

9 people like this

Lets just say you are all right...I did get the message two weeks ago that the main contingency of ( my people) left but not all of them.. I'm still here....and this was definitely expected and although important not  the highest concern on the roster...again I would be surprised if  every system along the galactic arm were not experiencing the same type of radiation...maybe it is one of the ways the Earth\s vibrations are being increased... ???

5 people like this