Rogue5

Homesteading: My 35 years of preparing in New Zealand

65 posts in this topic

Hi, I started in "Introducing myself" to tell how I got a psychic ( channeled) message to get land and learn to be self supporting.  This was to better survive a prophesy of tribulation and earth changes which will clear the earth for the new age. Sound familiar??

I will try and re-post the introduction here too for the sake of continuity.

Homesteading  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homesteading%C2'> is the idea of a small farm on which you can support a family .  My father actually came from Australia where he was born on an outback farm, and raised on various small farms during the Depression. He thus had a skillset  learned in those early years.  He  became a Veterinarian and practiced in NZ mainly in dairy cow and sheep farming areas.  So as a family; my father, my mother and my elder brother , and my wife and I jointly  decided to buy some land and do the homesteading thing. 

35 years later I am still living on the farm we bought and developed .. and as my wife dryly observes.. the world has not ended.  ( My parents have both died, and my brother lives in Auckland).  But surprisingly my daughter has just moved back to the farm where she grew up.  So there have been a lot of twists and turns, ups and downs.. and I actually feel after 35 years that I am pretty much prepared.  The only catch is that I am now MUCH older :o .  Still.. no sense in having regrets.. it has been a great journey.. and that is what life is for..No?

I  will continue with .. how to select homestead land.

16 people like this

Welcome to Chani Rogue5, thanks for sharing and please tell us more

blessings

Aco

4 people like this

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:59 PM     First intro post

Hi ,  I have been on the site for a few weeks now and have read a bit, particularly the "ask a member section", and would like to tell a bit about myself and what got me here.  I may make several posts, as I don't type fast, and am scared that I might lose a post..

I am a 66 year old male NZer, ( Feb 1948) an early boomer, and I live on a small farm in the Bay of Plenty, which is in the North Island about latitude 48, the same as San Francisco, but has a climate more like southern California.  Married  with two adult children.

I have been a GLP follower and infrequent poster for many years ( It's a rough gig.. and IMO has gone downhill from the early days), but you find occasional gems.. like a link to this site.  I had been a recent follower of the "me tell u" thread.  I am a Nexus subscriber and read Co Evolution many years ago ( it is in our local library), so I am delighted to be among old friends here.

I have always had an interest in the Paranormal.  Perhaps thru my mother who read "The Third Eye" to us boys at a young age and she always had alternative books and Eastern religion books in the house.   UFOs etc.  In the mid 1970s after to the death of my younger brother, my mother tried to contact him via a spiritualist medium.  This opened up a whole new experience .. which I will detail in a later post.  Thru this local medium I found myself talking with the other side, a very interesting experience.

I grew up in small towns in rural New Zealand.  Didn't live in a city till I went to university...where I got a degree in Zoology, so I consider myself a scientist, tho out of date these days.  I had always had an interest in going "back to the land".  Those of you who remember the 60s will know of the Commune movement, and even then there was the "gloom and doom" about the population bomb , Club of Rome etc.  So I have always had that in mind.. visited Communes in the 60s..and when our spirit contact suggested that we should become "self sufficient"  due to impending doom, we started to look for land.  We had several false starts in trying to buy land.. but after many years we bought ( jointly, family members) the farm on which I now live. I have been here for 35 years now, learning to farm, and setting up a "Doomstead" as they are now called. :rolleyes: ..  So I know a bit about that.. and raised and educated two kids who are now fine young adults.  I will go a bit more into "doomsteading" in another post later.

9 people like this

Posted Yesterday, 10:30 PM    Second intro post

Hi, I will continue my story with the "Channeled message" part , as this is what led to the "farm" part.  I still tend to use the "British" terminology of seance and medium.

After the death of my younger brother in a motorbike accident my mother sought to contact his "spirit" via a medium.  This was difficult as there were no known mediums in NZ at that time, so she contacted  someone in a local "Spiritualist Association" to find a medium.  The guy she contacted.. tho very suspicious at first.. turned out to be a medium, and they hit it off so well that he became a close friend and remains a friend of mine.

They set up a date for a seance.. but as word got out about this event, lots of friends wanted to be there , and so on the evening there were 15 or so present, including my parents.  ( I was overseas at this time living in Samoa, where I lived and worked for 9 years).  The medium entered a trance state and the entity from the spirit world took over.  The spirit entity calls himself Elias, which is his name from his last incarnation when he was a Saduccee in the temple at Jerusalem at the time of Christ.  The medium was a Roman soldier at the same time and thus the link between them. Elias is a kind of guide for the medium.  Elias speaks in English..reasonably well.. and sounds like an old English gentleman with a somewhat reedy voice.

Elias was excited to have such a big audience, most of whom he did not know..so he introduced himself explaining his life, and how he died during the sack of the temple at the end of the Jewish revolt in about 70AD.  He then launched into a forceful warning about the "things that lie ahead for this earth" which include "great tribulation" leading up to the birth of a new age.   ( I may post the message in full in another post, but it is similar to many Prophesies that are out there.)   In later messages he elaborated the tribulations to include climate change, "searing heat and searing cold", earthquakes, volcanos, economic collapse ( trade collapse) , wars, new incurable diseases and  even plagues.  He suggested that we needed to return to growing our own food, self sufficiency etc.  " Great envy will go out to those who have land on which to grow food and support themselves".

He said that this would happen during the "lifetimes of most of you here".   This was in 1975, and one of the group has died of cancer, and my parents from old age.  So the clock is ticking.. tho we really expected it all to happen in the 90s and certainly at the turn of the century.    I note that NexusEd  said that there seems to have been some kind of failure or delay of all the Doom prophesy.  I have seen this reported elsewhere so I have to agree... the Doom just has not happened.   In later seances  Elias made several predictions .. saw events.. in our personal lives which were quite accurate ( incredibly so)  so he seemed to certainly be able to "see" the future to some extent.   Once when I questioned him about the lack of Doom, he said "do not deviate from the path"  ( of preparing) as it make take you by surprise.   So .. like everyone.. we wait and watch.. and read .. and surf the net..

That's a brief summary.  We had many seances during the 80s and early 90s but the medium no longer does it ( he had a traumatic breakup with his partner who had been a major factor in his mediumship).  I can give more detail if people are interested .. Elias actually saw Jesus once... but this communication and much research of other similar prophesy was the strong incentive for us as a family to buy land and set up to become self sufficient.  Which I have been doing for 35 years.. and am now 66 years young...   More of that next.. -_- .

10 people like this

Hi Rogue5

welcome to Chani

I have read about many prophesies and warnings about impending doom, but quite a few of them end with saying "It does'nt have to be this way".

Maybe enough minds have got together to stop or just delay these prophesies, although I don't think we have stopped them completely with all that is going on on this planet.

Just stay prepared, oh and keep your posts coming. 

Bolly

6 people like this

Fascinating Rogue5 - interesting stuff.  Welcome to Chani.

4 people like this

Hi Rogue5

Thanks for sharing your journey to date. Like wise have read Alec coevolution. I also love in bay of plenty in a small coastal town close to Whakatane. My hubby and I have planted our quarter acre block in fruit trees, vege patch, chooks and are about to fill two x 500l containers of water. We also buy down the road raw milk direct from one of our farmers Our village has about 500 people and community orientated with three marae within walking distance. Locally a community garden has just been started. After major debris flow of 2005 the community and rest of nz supported us in recovery. The spirit of humanity shone through and brought out the best in uniting however also the worst looters! Anyway I wanted to let you know that a like minded group have started meeting unconditionally monthly to discuss and share all sorts of topics. Cost $5 for coming to cover costs for room mirage. If you want link into Facebook on WSSop Whakatane space spirit and phenomena where guest speakers cover and share all sorts of interesting topics like posted here on Chani. This is a top site for linking in. Kind regards

12 people like this

Wondering if this Maori Elder Prophesy has occurred yet, and would your location be impacted?

Maori elder predicts great earthquake

Uploaded on Feb 7, 2011

At a Waitangi dawn ceremony Maori elder Kerei Tia Toa said he had "seen" a great earthquake that was going to ravage Wellington.

My first cousin, now deceased was a noted U.S.spirit/advisor author. Her name was Jane Roberts (Butts) who allegedly reached

beyond the grave to her medium "Seth".....and she wrote about her encounters in titles like "Seth Speaks".

I'm not into that Genre at all, and though Jane was a gifted writer and researcher she was considered a bit 'dipsy' by her family.

SG

http://ianu0.cjb.net

7 people like this

SG, it sounds like you're linking the Maori Prophesy with a Seth prediction.  Seth's/Jane's/Rob's works have resonated with me for nearly 25 years.  The information is superior to anything else out there (Bashar may be somehow part of the group channel and his work seems to carry on, but I know less of him).  Seth rarely made predictions since his information is of a larger nature and probable realities can take an unexpected turn to those expecting a particular outcome.  I'm sure Jane and Rob would have been odd people to know in the 60s and 70s, but their work has made a tremendous impact on me and many others.  May I suggest that you take a peek at their work?  The Early Sessions came out after the original texts Seth wanted to get out, and show the evolution of thought.  But in my mind, 'Seth Speaks' and 'The Nature of Personal Reality' are the main thrust of their work - the work of all 3 of them.  Lucky you to be related to Jane! 

8 people like this

Deekin

Wow, I am amazed that her work is still regarded highly by her followers. I liked Jane, she was eight years older than I

but lived in Saratoga, NY while we lived down state in NYC... when we were both kids. No intent to corrupt this thread

by linking her writings, and any prophesy. I agree from the little I know about her writings, they did not include

prophesy. I do have many of her books, but again I was never interested in her research. Having said that, I could

say to Jane today, if you are out there, and are able to contact me...your favorite cousin....I'm receptive!

As for the Maori prophesy above, I had stored the video several years ago as it paralleled other prophesies by

Pedro Regis the Brazilian seer, who I follow closely. Some crazy stuff going on in the world these days and it is

perhaps better to be aware of prophesy... than not be aware of prophesy. Just my opinion.

Best wishes to Rogue5 on his 'prepping'...we are trying to do the same thing here in Rural Wyoming USA.

If any Aussies or NZers want to see the Brazilian seer's prophesies (of their countries) I can share them if asked.

SG

5 people like this

Please keep posting, Rogue5!  I'm curious if you've looked at edible weeds as well?  I've got a few books on my area but I haven't pursued it.

3 people like this

Hi Rogue5

Thanks for sharing your journey to date. Like wise have read Alec coevolution. I also love in bay of plenty in a small coastal town close to Whakatane. My hubby and I have planted our quarter acre block in fruit trees, vege patch, chooks and are about to fill two x 500l containers of water. We also buy down the road raw milk direct from one of our farmers Our village has about 500 people and community orientated with three marae within walking distance. Locally a community garden has just been started. After major debris flow of 2005 the community and rest of nz supported us in recovery. The spirit of humanity shone through and brought out the best in uniting however also the worst looters! Anyway I wanted to let you know that a like minded group have started meeting unconditionally monthly to discuss and share all sorts of topics. Cost $5 for coming to cover costs for room mirage. If you want link into Facebook on WSSop Whakatane space spirit and phenomena where guest speakers cover and share all sorts of interesting topics like posted here on Chani. This is a top site for linking in. Kind regards

Hi Deb,  I recognize where you are.   Nice spot.  I live on the other side of Whakatane and inland.. so quite a trip away.  For those outside NZ.. the quarter acre section used to be the standard house lot in NZ pre 1960s and it allowed for a large garden and fruit trees, a hen house ( chooks is NZ slang) and pre and during the war almost everyone had a large garden .. Americans call them "Victory Gardens" I discovered  after a guy in American Samoa admired my "Victory Garden".   It was quite competitive among men as they compared their crops of potatoes and tomatoes.  Preserving in jars  ( canning in USA) was also very common.  Now we have subdivisions where you could spit and hit your neighbours house..

Great that you can get raw milk Deb.  That would be VERY unusual in the rest of the Western word, and criminal in some places.  In the early days on our farm we milked a cow (s) ... used to be common pre war and called a 'house cow".  As a little girl my mother used to have to milk the family cow.

My daughter was raised on raw milk as after she got of the breast .. it was all she would consent to eat.  We used to try and pasturise  the milk  on the stove top but it always ended up tasting "cooked".  So we just strained it.. when you milk by hand you get a bit of cow hair and stuff in the milk.  ( your machine milk goes thru a filter).   From a Homesteading point of view I learned that a cow can produce enough food ( milk and cream)  to be a MAJOR part of your diet.  In NZ most of the milk is from pasture grazing.. grass, clover and  herbs.. and a good big cow can produce several gallons a day.   We used to make simple cheese.. quark...drained yogurt.. with the excess.  Cream turns porridge into food fit for kings.  Butter would provide your fat intake.. which can be an issue when living off the land.   Chickens will drink milk, and your dogs and cats can be fed.  All this from grass..which is completely inedible to man, chooks and dogs. ( Cows..ruminants.. do this via a very complex digestive system using bacteria and protozoa to convert cellulose (grass) to sugar (lactose) and protein).  Goats are a possibility too.. but a single cow produces enough for several families.. and a cow is easier to fence than a goat.  Electric fencing is the way to go.

We don't milk a cow now as it is a constant chore ( my father used to do it), and as just a couple we don't use that much milk.. and we can afford to buy it.  But I know I could do it.. hand miking is had at first...:-)... if I had to... and especially if there are several families.  You can get small single cow milking machines.

7 people like this

Hi Squawking Goose,  ( Geese are something we never tried.. they run wild on some farms here).  Interesting that you are related to Jane Roberts.. I read her years ago and Seth is held in high regard by NexusED.

I know the Maori prophesy ... just another doom prophesy really.  Wellington ( like San Francisco) is right on several faults... so a big one is likely sometime.  It has not happened.. but Christchurch was a biggie and really unexpected.  I / we all learned a lot about being prepared from that.  I personally know people who were badly hit.  I keep an earthquake evacuation kit under my bed ( boots, warm clothes, axe, pry bar) from peoples experience in ChCh.  The ist quake hit at night and people woke to pitch black.. no power.. and broken glass everywhere...couldn't find a flashlight...  And then there were months of primitive living.

I am in volcano country.. right on the edge of the volcanic rift .. caused by being on a plate boundary.  Small earthquakes are common, and we had a big one which smashed a small town ..Edgecumbe... near here.  We sure felt that one!   The big faults that I live between are supposed to be dormant.. but I regard quakes as a major threat to be "prepared" for.  I will go into that more later.  Big issue in NZ.. my daughter just built a "quake proof" house.

Where Deb lives they have had earthquake swarms.. like 10 small quakes a day.. keeps you on your toes....  There is a live volcano island offshore.. White Island.. which we can see every day.

5 people like this

Please keep posting, Rogue5!  I'm curious if you've looked at edible weeds as well?  I've got a few books on my area but I haven't pursued it.

Hi Deekin,  I don't know where you are so I'm not sure what might be useful.   I can grow beautiful sweet oranges where I live , something I am very happy to learn.. that will give you an idea of my climate.  We` are in a small valley so get hard frosts in the winter.  Even now in the early spring  downunder when we are planting tomatoes.. we have to worry about a late frost.

It is always a good idea to know what you can eat which grows wild in your area... so I have studied this too.  IMO most of the edible weeds taste like crap... bitter or tasteless :'( .  Might keep you alive tho..  That said my better half has discovered the "kale craze"   ( it's the new tofu) and I am being introduced to the Kale smoothie ( be still my heart).   It's super good for you and I will probably live to be 100... or at least it will seem that long.  Kale grows well here and is even self seeding .. so is almost a weed.

It is not widely known but in the NZ bush (forest) tree fern grows abundantly.. particularly in regenerating areas.  The heart of the fern, and the pith of the leaf stems is edible as a starch.  Doesn't taste like much , but would keep you alive.  It was a staple in the Maori diet in some areas.  Bracken root is the same.. but harder to prepare.  I look up to the forest clad hills and the tree fern and  say.. years of food up there.  My wife says... I'd rather just die...

What I do recommend is to find things which grow like weeds.  Easy or no care.. which will be the foods you  will be eating when all the tools and chemicals that we need to grow modern foods are gone.  A couple of quick examples are Jerusalem artichokes and NZ spinach.   Jerusalem artichokes grow wild on our roadsides.. be careful where you plant them as  you can't get rid of them.  They taste like crap  IMHO and give you gas... but will keep you alive when the grain runs out.  An energy food.   NZ spinach  ( funny.. few NZers eat it of even know what it is)  will also grow forever in the right spot.  Frost will kill it.. but we have a patch against the side of the house which just keeps coming back.  No great taste.. but you need to eat a green for health.. and this will fit the bill.

A few others to mention are Choko (chayote), and taro ( for the leaf only).   We have a potato in NZ called Maori potato which are small (thumb size) which grow like weeds... they are often red right thru..VERY healthy.   And in the tree crops, wallnuts, chestnuts, acorns and the quince tree.   Permaculture is the idea..rather than tilling the soil.

5 people like this

Rogue5

We're in a similar situation located less than 100 miles east of the Yellowstone Caldera.

We are far enough away not to feel the small tremors that are evident most days, and so

we have a false sense of security. Geologists say that an eruption is not imminent, and yet

President Obama has issued directives to keep what is going on in Yellowstone secret from

the American public. This supposedly to avoid alarming everyone.

The more serious threat is from Nibiru. I saw a terrific video about this planet on Youtube a few days ago, but

lost track of its title. Here is another video featuring a Coast to Coast talk show interview

on what is known. Its supposed to pass our sun's elliptic very soon.

Planet Nibiru to pass Earth by December 2014

http://youtu.be/BmPg9Gu0hSc 25:32 Published on Feb 25, 2014

SG

Found it.....

Here is the Nibiru Video Documentary I referred to above....

I watched it a second time, and am sending it to family members

especially those who live on the east and west coasts of the USA.

Yowusa.com Planet X System Update No. 1 - HD

38:22

I guess I'm still skeptical, but after viewing this video at least I'll understand

what is happening.

SG

Squawking Goose. Have you read ' The Lost Book of Enki'   I am sure you will not doubt that there is a Niburu and it is coming due very soon.

Rogue5

I think you and I have a lot in common.

I was born on a farm in the South Island  (some family still there)  and came to Australia in 1976.

I am a few months youger than you. Sept. 1948 so we are both in the clickety click bracket.

I bought a 40 acre property but it is mostly bush but have plenty for room for growing stuff. Also wildlife abounds. (deer kangaroos etc.)

Our road is a dead end and what neighbours we have are like thinkers and we plan on sticking together if TSHTF.

We have a excellent bore for water and would only need fuel for a generator to retrieve water if the power goes out.

It would be difficult for any mauraders to approach our properties due to location and bush.

Hopefully it may never happen, but....

Anyway, welcome to Chani and looking forward to your postings.

7 people like this

Panther & Rogue5

I have heard of the author Sitchin, but have not read any of his books. My wife runs the 'Book Cave'

at the local public library, and I have asked her to locate any of his titles and bring them home.

Amazon.com has most of his titles which sell for about $10.00 USD on average. The title you mentioned

will cost about $13 in soft cover. The 'book cave' has in excess of 10,000 titles of used books, and maybe

we'll get lucky and find a used book of Sitchins' for 50 cents. BTW, the book cave lady is also affectionately

referred to as "The Cave Woman" by her customers.

I mentioned above that Barak Obama is censoring data from being released about Yellowstone Caldera Quake activity.

Below is the reference (URL) about the supposed clamp down for anyone interested.

http://www.intellihub.com/unnamed-source-usgs-suppressing-supervolcano-activity-yellowstone-white-house-orders/

Unnamed source: ‘USGS suppressing supervolcano activity at Yellowstone under White House orders’

March 4, 2014 2:57 am EST

We own 31 acres of mostly river bottom land. The property has some forest area, 5 ponds, streams, and access to

the river. The house is located atop a ridge about 20 ft above the river to the south, but also 20 ft below a

second ridge to the north. I wish I could say the soil was fertile, but it is not. What we do have is access to

fish, crawdads, and much wildlife. Today our dining room window was visited by 5 whitetail doe's and two bucks

interested in rutting. I also saw several pheasants through the same window. We're only 4 miles from town which has

a large population of LDS (Morman's). Most are prepper's. Our neighbors are farmers and ranchers.

This winter is tough on the wild critters. I hear that Grizzly Bears are making their way into towns near to us.

Maybe Mountain lions are also coming down from the coldness of the mountains and into the plains to find deer

and antelope. I have not heard of any specific sightings yet of these, but it is possible.

Every year we earn (5) one gallon bucket's of honey for allowing a bee keeper to keep his hives on our land.

Our 2014 supply was delivered to us just last week.

Our daughter lives in town, a small city of 7,000 population. She has had a successful vegetable garden several years

in a row. Our growing zone is rated(3) so our season is shortened. We have already had 10 days in a row of

sub-freezing daytime temperatures, and winter is still more than one month away. 2014 is proving to be a tough year.

I bought (2) 8' X 10' greenhouses, but erecting them will have to wait for Spring 2015. I am also preparing to

use aqua-ponics as our chosen source of food. We are better suited though to raise animals here. Eventually,

I hope to have chicken's, ducks, geese, and maybe turkey's. Lots of work ahead for us though.

SG

10 people like this

Oh you bunch of Chanites are so lucky to have some land to play on---one day/year/life--I will have my own little sancturary to play on too---------------------------- 8)

7 people like this

Hi SG, Panther and Triton,   Well they say having land is lucky.. but it also takes a lot of sacrifice and usually hard work.  I often say.. the land has got you.. as well as you got it.. and if you have livestock.. even chickens.. it is even more of a tie.  I wrote a big story about how we found out land.. and for some reason lost the post!!!???  I will have to re do it.  We have 150 acres,  50 bottom land, 50 hills and 50 bush.    I can tell you that there are big differences between Wyoming,  Queensland.. and where I am..!!  Impossible to generalise about what is a good BOL  or homestead... and even what country or State is best.  You take what you can get that is affordable and practical for your circumstances.

And things change with time.. I could never have predicted the changes over 35 years .. the ups and downs and the things we have done and tried.  When we first got here we had a "party" phone line..ie 5 users on the same line.  And part of the district was on a manual exchange... you dialed an operator and she plugged you in to the requested number.. one of the last of these in the country!  Now we have high speed internet  ( well..relative compared to dialup)  satellite TV, and we have JUST gotten cellphone coverage !   All this at the end of a dirt road in a very rural area. 

Thanks for the Niburu stuff SG.. I will admit to being a PX follower years ago.. but like all doom.. it did not happen.  I am very concerned about crying "wolf"... it has happened so often and has caused a lot of cost and worry...I could tell some stories... mine included...   I guess I keep a watching brief and an open mind... I am here after all...

RE books .. I was at the local "dump" recycling center... at a small town.. I check it out when I am there.. and I found a book  on Kryon.  Someone had asked NexusED about him (it) > I had never heard of him.. but suddenly.. here is his book.. and free!!  They look at my grey hair.. and say..Oh.. just take it. ;D .  I found Kyron interesting.. he is one of the Maters of the World (!)..   :rolleyes: ...you never know...

More when I get time.. it is Spring here and we are planting a big garden..

9 people like this

Regarding the topics above on growing and storing food,  below is a great website for learning how to do most  everything geared toward a self sufficient lifestyle.  What ever you do save your seeds, that will be of great importance if the shtf.  I do not worry anymore about any of this, but I am prepared to help our little community up here.  Too many are not prepared at all and we who are prepared will have to take up the slack and help each other.

Here is the website: http://www.earthineer.com/market

I have been drying tomatoes, Jerusalem artichokes, and various peppers.  All dried well inside the earthship on make- do screens and cheesecloth.  They take up much less room for storage.  You can still buy bulk lentils, oats, quinoa, rice etc. 25lb and 50 lb bags, and store well in gallon glass jars.  When you store grains be sure and add some diatomaceous earth to keep the weevils in check.  My motto, don't worry but be prepared for anything, even a big storm can force us indoors for a few weeks and they seem to be getting more severe of late.  Thanks for all the great posts, enjoying them very much.

The main website is: earthineer.com   for how-to information.

8 people like this

I'm back.. because I is pouring with rain...which is good for all the seeds and transplants.  But no sooner had I sat down ( and checked out the NFL..Monday here.. Sunday USA :) ..when we had a BIG earthquake.  House shook and every thing rattled for a long time..wife said cupboard doors came open.  It turns out it was quite close, about 100k.. off the East Cape..6.5 and shallow  31K.   Quakes are common where I live, but this was much stronger than usual.   Just a point of interest.

Regarding Calderas.. the city of Rotorua is essentially built in a caldera... Okataina it's called.. and that is about 100k from here.  If it blew we are sheltered by several ranges of hills from any pyroclastic flow, but ash fall is quite probable.  The roofs here are not built for any snow load .. let alone ash.. so that is an issue.  All depends on wind direction.

That is the downside.. but as I dig my garden I REALLY appreciate the volcanic ash derived soil.  Easy to dig, free draining and not a stone in sight.  Not very fertile, but great for growing trees, or anything deep rooted.   I am planting a new area of citrus trees this year.. and breaking in a new garden between the young trees.   It's on a ridge in in front and below our house.. topsoil a foot deep..nice and dark when you turn it over.. lots of worms.  A joy to garden compared to other areas I have had.

9 people like this

I digress from the topic but I often check out the earthquake  site for my area  http://geonet.co.nz/quakes/drums/urewera%C2'> .  And that is VERY active.  One of these quakes is a followup to the 17th Nov. on the same fault.. and this is right in the area of the plate boundary which is called the Hikurangi  Trough where the Pacific Plate goes under NZ.   If we were going to have a major Plate movement .. this is the kind of action I would expect to see as a buildup.   People make all sorts of predictions.. but NZ is a kind of canary in the mine.. we should see it first ...maybe...

I didn't feel any of these quakes. 

My daughter just built a house which is considered earthquake proof.  It is steel frame on a rib-raft foundation. ( you can look this up).  In the ChCh quake they found the ribraft concrete foundations survived as they "float" on the surface.  Even if the land subsides.. you can level them again by pumping concrete underneath.  The steel frame.. pressed galvanized steel.. is very light  compared to timber (1/3 less) so has less inertia as it shakes in a quake.  It is all screwed together with TEC screws.  Supposedly tested to Richter 9.    It might distort in a quake.. but would not collapse.

7 people like this

Himmm.. the link did not cut and paste.  it is   geonet.co.nz/quakes/drums/urewera

You can see a live camera of  White Island on this site too..it is showing a bit of siesmic activity, but it may be the same quakes showing up, tho the time looks different.  White Island is quite active.. tho not erupting right now.. and should also be an early warning ..relief valve.

3 people like this

HOW TO SELECT A HOMESTEAD OR BUG OUT LOCATION ( or how not to ?? )

I have been remiss in not continuing my story.. I will do it in lots of small bursts.. as I don't type quickly.

When we started looking for land we were interested in coastal blocks, as we love the sea.  I remember one old guy we spoke to said.. get good dirt.. your love of surfing wanes as you get older.   ( He was right).  Also coastal land is usually expensive.. even more now.  We put in an offer on a beautiful coastal farm.. and made no progress on that deal for several years.  It was an incredible  location.. but I now know in hindsight that it was too remote..isolated.. 10Km of dusty road access.. and not close to a town  of any size.

My brother and I were living overseas in the Pacific Is, so it fell to my parents to find a farm/block . ( Lifestyle blocks were the in thing in those days).  My father worked in the Bay of Plenty and found that the only cheap land left was in the more remote Eastern Bay.  So he and my mother contacted an agent and went looking. The agent showed them lots of blocks around the town of Opotiki which was developing into a kiwifruit growing area.  Anything with "horticulture potential" was double the price. My mother was using a pendulum .. a ring on the end of a thread.. to select a suitable site.  ( As  you do:lol: ).  She got all negative indications.  At the end of the day, the agent was tired of them.. and they asked if there was anything else.  He said there was a "young mans farm"  which would not suit an old couple like them.. they could go and look .. but he was not interested to show them.  So on their way home they went up a dirt road to look at this run down farm with a derilect house.  They were immediately attracted by the stands of native trees in the valley with a little stream running thru.  The pendulum said YES.  So they put in an offer.   The farm was part of two small farms (titles) run together, and the owner was afraid that if he sold one.. he would be stuck with the other.. so he didn't want to sell.  So we sat on the deal for several years.   Then he got an offer on the other farm.. so said to us.. settle the deal.  We were able to raise the CASH as it was only  85k for 400 acres.   28K each.  So without even seeing it.. I had a share in a homestead.  My parents now went overseas too.. so we leased the farm to our dairy farmer neighbour.

7 people like this