breezy

Earthquakes and Earthshakes

1,166 posts in this topic

Will put a couple links for info, this one really took me by surprise.  I never expected eq like this in Australia, and all the years watching maps, this is a first.

Hope you are feeling better Jessica.  Interesting, your symptoms, exactly the same as Landdownunder had, since Wed. So has anyone given a thought to it being May 21st?

This pdf shows fault lines in Australia  Tx w. 

https://d28rz98at9flks.cloudfront.net/18998/18998.pdf

This pdf shows fault lines in Australia

Earthquakes Australia 5/21/16

attachicon.gifCaptureOzquakes 52016.JPG

I don't know how accurate that map is meant to be, but from what I can see, it is missing a few fault lines, and that is just in my knowledge of the south-west corner of OZ.

If anyone knows that area, there is the fault line running all along the Darling Scarp, but it follows the curve of the scarp, and does a 'fish-hook' up into Geographe Bay near Dunsborough.

And there are several other lines in the Wheat-belt running parallel to the Meckering fault line. These lines have been quite active with micro-quakes for some years.

I feel if the geologists took in local as well as scientific knowledge, there would be a totally different map, showing a lot more lines with a lot more risk.

The other factor that doesn't appear to have been taken into consideration are the various artesian water basins and the waters stored therein, and where that water comes from.  The 'Great Artesian Basin is fed from several remote valleys in the New Guinea highlands, and the Perth to Busselton basin is fed from sources in Sumartra.

7 people like this

hummm

The largest earthquake and tsunami exercise to ever take place along the West Coast of the U.S. will begin on Tuesday, June 7, 2016. It will simulate a complete rupture of the Cascadia Subduction Zone Earthquake Fault which is situated 100-150 miles to the West of the Coastline in the Pacific Ocean. The fault extends 620 miles from Cape Mendocino, California to Northern Vancouver Island, B.C.

http://www.co.grays-harbor.wa.us/info/DEM/Index.asp

6 people like this

Well, Foop, since that is my county, let's hope this is one time the exercise doesn't go live!  What is a real joke here, to me, is that some tsunami routes, are 2 lane, and run right along the water. Thousands in those areas would not stand a chance, due to much being built on landfill, and there is water, ocean, harbors, inlets, rivers everywhere, and bridges that most likely would collapse in a 9 pointer.  

6 people like this

my hope too breezy.  thought it might be something we watch just in case.  stay well and safe.

5 people like this

Definitely will, and there were some very informative videos at that link.  I watched a bunch of them.  Been through a 7.5, don't really want to go through anything worse.  Thank you.  

5 people like this

Whoa guys I haven't been here in a long time. The reason I logged in this evening is I had a strong and vivid dream Tsunami earlier today and waned to check in here to see if there were any events and I had caught sight of an earthquake report on gap earlier and not long after I finished recording my dream. Which when I woke up felt urgently compelled to log it. I was very groggy but made it to the computer asap.

It was a very angry tsunami I witnessed, in the distance from an elevated location I am sure. So I am assuming deeper inland. It was like I had long vision to seeing from very far away. Depth of field was like a hugely powerful telephoto lens.

I was also surprised by bizarre weather events preceding the vista. Snow when it should be summer (but was it ash in water?)

I was totally shocked and proclaimed out loud in the dream. "*oh no this is the tsunami from the other dream!", as in OH SHIT!

*previous dream goes back over two years and was symbolic for that time in a personal. Reason I was shocked to see it this time but more serious and more pissed off Tsunami if that makes sense!

I got a real shock or felt real shock in the dream. Which was strong and not typical in dreams. I didn't think twice as I grabbed a loved one and held tight. Next I was staring up at a blue sky thinking looking at a bird, how would we recover all the nutritional information about vitamins and supplements was going through my mind. So I didnt appear to have gone through or witness the trauma of an event. I very literally saw it from long distance. So is that not literally and symbolically in terms time as in a heads up. Could've days weeks months away if actual future.

It seems I was located in a collection of buildings, houses high enough up. Red dusty red was the colour I remover so I was thinking feeling it was US / desert / Mexican or Spanish style settlement. Toward the end I enjoyed a brief fly over by of the location for a few seconds at the end. So perhaps so got the vision of that bird above me.

I'll tell you I was really shocked to see that dam Tsunami. It might be symbolic but there was a sense of urgency and bewilderment. There were a lot more vivid details. Like I was spending time doing a vespry specific task leading up to the event. The strange weather was also significant. It was entirely unseasonal. I was expecting hot summer and wondered why it was snowing but wasn't too worried as my vehicle was prepared for all weather conditions.

Yea but not Tsunami!

8 people like this

Large-scale motion detected near San Andreas Fault System

June 20, 2016

Brooks Hays

""We were able to break down the noisy signals to isolate a simple vertical motion pattern that curiously straddled the San Andreas fault," researcher Samuel Howell said.

Large-scale-motion-detected-near-San-And

The top diagram shows the lobes of movement, uplift in red and subsidence in blue, found using GPS data, while the botom diagram shows the lobes predicted by an earthquake simulation model. Image by University of Hawaii, Manoa

HONOLULU, June 20 (UPI) -- Analysis of GPS data has revealed new areas of motion around the San Andreas Fault System.

Using data collected by the EarthScope Plate Boundary Observatory's GPS array, researchers identified 125-mile-wide "lobes" of uplift and subsidence. Over the last several years, the lobes, which straddle the fault line, have hosted a few millimeters of annual movement.

Computer models simulating the San Andreas Fault System have predicted such crustal movement, but the areas of motion hadn't been physically identified until now.

Researchers used advanced statistical modeling to identify the movement among the inevitable statistical noise that comes with monitoring minute movements in the Earth's crust.

"While the San Andreas GPS data has been publicly available for more than a decade, the vertical component of the measurements had largely been ignored in tectonic investigations because of difficulties in interpreting the noisy data," lead author Samuel Howell, a researcher at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, explained in a news release. "Using this technique, we were able to break down the noisy signals to isolate a simple vertical motion pattern that curiously straddled the San Andreas fault."
snip

7 people like this

Powerful twin earthquake strikes Ecuador’s coast

July 11, 2016

57831136c4618854338b4580.jpg

© earthquake.usgs.gov

"Two powerful quakes measuring 5.9 and 6.4 struck the coast of Ecuador ten minutes apart, USGS reported. They appear to be aftershocks of the deadly April disaster, which claimed hundreds of lives in the country.

Both quakes hit an area about 32 kilometers northwest of Rosa Zarate, a town of some 60,000 residents in the Esmeraldas province.

The tremors from the two quakes were felt across a wide area and prompted many people to flee into the streets, according to BNO news. Residents reported power outages in some parts of the province. No reports as to the number of casualties were immediately available.
snip
No tsunami warning has been issued.

Local authorities in Esmeraldas said they were suspending school activities until further notice. Classes were also suspended in Manabí province to “inspect possible damage".

The country's president Rafael Correa urged people to “remain calm”."
snip
5 people like this

For info only wonder how many hidden faults there are in the world?

Hidden Fault Could Trigger Cataclysmic Megaquake in Asia

Tia Ghose

July 11, 2016

bangladesh-fault.jpeg?interpolation=lanc

A subduction zone lying beneath Bangladesh, Myanmar and eastern India could release a massive magnitude 8.2 to 9.0 earthquake, new research suggests. The red line shows the areas where the fault is likely locked (the solid line showing the more likely location). The glowing city lights in the picture serve as a proxy for population density.
Credit: Steckler et al, LDEO

"A massive fault could trigger a cataclysmic earthquake beneath Bangladesh, parts of east India and Myanmar, new research suggests.

The hidden fault, which has been buried under miles of river sediment, could release an earthquake of magnitude 8.2 to 9.0 in one of the most densely populated regions of the world, the study found. And because researchers discovered the system relatively recently, they have no estimates for when such a megaquake could occur.

"We don't know if it's tomorrow or if it's not going to be for another 500 years," said study co-author Michael Steckler, a geophysicist at the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory at Columbia University in New York City. [The 10 Biggest Earthquakes in History]

Hidden fault lines

In the low-lying, waterlogged country of Bangladesh, the mighty Ganges and Brahmaputra rivers meet and form the world's largest delta, eventually draining into the Bay of Bengal. The flow of these two massive rivers deposits a gigaton of sediment every year, the researchers said. This constant overlay of sediment obscured the geology below the Ganges Delta. But in recent years, scientists have learned that tectonic plates are colliding beneath the eons worth of sediment."
snip
5 people like this

5.1 in Tanzania

M5.1 - 62km N of Msanga, Tanzania

Time
  1. 2016-07-13 03:01:15 (UTC)
  2. 2016-07-12 20:01:15 (UTC-07:00) in your timezone
  3. Times in other timezones
Nearby Places
  • 62.0 km (38.5 mi) N of Msanga, Tanzania
  • 67.0 km (41.6 mi) SSE of Kondoa, Tanzania
  • 79.0 km (49.1 mi) NNE of Dodoma, Tanzania
  • 94.0 km (58.4 mi) NNW of Kongwa, Tanzania
  • 395.0 km (245.4 mi) WNW of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

post-5-0-57672200-1468480338_thumb.jpg

From checking other maps, etc., as close as I can figure it, this quake was on the main N/S fault that runs from Ethiopia down into So. Africa

5 people like this

Megathrust: Giant Bangladesh earthquake could put 140 million lives at risk, study says

Up to 140 million lives could be at risk from a potentially massive earthquake in Bangladesh, according to a new study. The research found that pressure is building along a fault line situated underneath the most densely-populated nation on Earth. The research, published in the journal Nature Geoscience on July 11th, found that a juncture between major tectonic plates in the region is locked and mounting with stress. Citing data collected using GPS devices since 2003, the paper states that measurements found convergence of tectonic plates at a rate of 13-17mm “on an active, shallowly dipping and locked mega-thrust fault.”

One plate is moving under the other deep beneath the surface, and two plates are stuck together at the upper layers of the fault. The plates are covered in layers of sediment more than 20 meters thick. The situation could result in a magnitude 8.2 to 9.0 earthquake in Bangladesh. “Some of us have long suspected this hazard, but we didn’t have the data and a model,” study co-author Michael Steckler, a geophysicist at the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory at Columbia University in New York, said in an article on the university’s website. “Now we have the data and a model, and we can estimate the size.”

https://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2016/07/16/megathrust-giant-bangladesh-earthquake-could-put-140-million-lives-at-risk-study-says/

post-12-0-09660300-1468932185_thumb.png

4 people like this

7.9  and a 7.6  Marianas Islands July 29, 2016  tx KMRIA

post-5-0-28789200-1469831112_thumb.jpg

Earthquakes today July 29, 2016

post-5-0-23258000-1469831354_thumb.jpg

A magnitude 6.0 - Off the coast of Aisen, Chile is the sixth major quake of July

July 27, 2016

"USGS

A mag 6.0 - Off the coast of Aisen, Chile is only the sixth major quake of July and three of them have come in the last two day's and the second one to hit Chile in the same period.
Green alert for shaking-related fatalities and economic losses. There is a low likelihood of casualties and damage. There are likely to be no affected structures in this region.
No tsunami threats have been issued.
Last nights quake is the 78th major quake of 2016...

A mag 6.4 - 128km SE of Lorengau, Papua New Guinea is the 5th major quake of the month

A mag 6.2 - 66km WNW of Diego de Almagro Chile is only the fourth major quake of July

San Andreas Fault rocking and rolling as hundreds of tremors strike since Sunday night!

A mag 6.0 - 76km NNW of Isangel, Vanuatu is only the third major quake of July

A mag 6.3 - rocks New Zealand with two large aftershock's of mag 5.7 and a large foreshock of mag 5.7

A magnitude 6.3 - 32km NW of Rosa Zarate, Ecuador is the first major quake of July

Major quakes not on the increase in 2016...An ave 72 half way through the year
Posted by Gary Walton at 9:52 am "

3 people like this

MAJOR ALERT! EARTH QUAKE WARNING/EARTH FACING SOLAR ERUPTION BPEarthWatch VIDEO

Posted By: Lymerick

Date: Friday, 29-Jul-2016 14:45:50

Source http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?read=52764

SUSPICIOUS OBSERVER - VIDEO - A MORE DETAILED KNOWLEDGEABLE ACCOUNT OF THE CME TO HIT SUNDAY/MONDAY

Posted By: Nemesis [send E-Mail]

Date: Friday, 29-Jul-2016 17:16:21

In Response To: MAJOR ALERT! EARTH QUAKE WARNING/EARTH FACING SOLAR ERUPTION BPEarthWatch VIDEO (Lymerick)

SUSPICIOUS OBSERVER: SUN FIRES AT EARTH - SPACE ENERGY RISK - VIDEO DATE: JULY 29, 2016

Source http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?read=52781

4 people like this

33 earthquakes in 30 days – the town that won’t stop trembling

Shannon Verhagen

July 29, 2016

"With three 5.0 magnitude earthquakes in two months, this is the most tottery town in Australia.

THE WESTERN AUSTRALIAN town of Norseman has a serious case of the shakes – with a staggering 50 earthquakes hitting the area in the last two months.

The gold-mining town – located about 720km east of Perth – has had over 30 quakes this month, with 18 alone on 8 and 9 July.

It all began after a 5.0 magnitude earthquake shook the town in the middle of the night on 28 May, followed by an even stronger 5.1 magnitude aftershock about an hour later.

John Fry, works manager at the Dundas Shire, said he heard a loud rumbling, and soon after, got a call from the Department of Fire and Emergency Services, checking if the town needed assistance.

“I thought it was just a train coming through,” he said. “The last thing you think of is an earthquake.”
snip
“When a large section of a fault moves quite significantly – that has relieved stress on that part of the fault,” he explained.

“So the adjacent parts of the fault will move to release the stress that has been transferred to them.”

Earthquake-Epicentres---GeoScience-Austr

Australia's earthquake epicentres and recent fault scarps (land displacement along fault lines). (Image: Geoscience Australia)

snip

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2016/07/australias-shakiest-town

6 people like this

33 earthquakes in 30 days – the town that won’t stop trembling

Shannon Verhagen

July 29, 2016

"With three 5.0 magnitude earthquakes in two months, this is the most tottery town in Australia.

THE WESTERN AUSTRALIAN town of Norseman has a serious case of the shakes – with a staggering 50 earthquakes hitting the area in the last two months.

The gold-mining town – located about 720km east of Perth – has had over 30 quakes this month, with 18 alone on 8 and 9 July.

It all began after a 5.0 magnitude earthquake shook the town in the middle of the night on 28 May, followed by an even stronger 5.1 magnitude aftershock about an hour later.

John Fry, works manager at the Dundas Shire, said he heard a loud rumbling, and soon after, got a call from the Department of Fire and Emergency Services, checking if the town needed assistance.

“I thought it was just a train coming through,” he said. “The last thing you think of is an earthquake.”
snip
“When a large section of a fault moves quite significantly – that has relieved stress on that part of the fault,” he explained.

“So the adjacent parts of the fault will move to release the stress that has been transferred to them.”

Earthquake-Epicentres---GeoScience-Austr

Australia's earthquake epicentres and recent fault scarps (land displacement along fault lines). (Image: Geoscience Australia)

snip

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2016/07/australias-shakiest-town

Just north of Norseman is the mining town of Kambalda.  It is a major Nickel producing area, with many deep mine shafts.

They have always had a problem with rock falls, as the stopes cut across several fault lines as they descend, following the ore bodies.

The companies and miners are always on the lookout for earth movements, shakes and rock falls.

It seems they will detect a tremor down past Esperance (maybe 1000Km south), and then a pattern shows the movements moving north. When the tremors start to get close, the mines are evacuated, so people won't get hurt and machinery damaged.

5 people like this

Aftershocks continuing off north Qld

Darrin Cartwright

August 19, 2016

57b62c9b5ba0f_3522021_190816m_qldearthqu

Earthquakes are making their presence felt in 2016, after a third quake in a week struck Queensland.

"Aftershocks are still being recorded off the coast of north Queensland where a magnitude-5.8 earthquake struck on Thursday.

According to Geoscience Australia, there have been 15 aftershocks since the earthquake was recorded at 2.30pm (AEST), some 70km off the coast of Bowen.

The latest was a magnitude-3.0 tremor at 7.37am on Friday which followed a magnitude-4.1 tremor at 4.27am.

Geoscience Australia senior seismologist Jonathan Bathgate said the magnitude of the Bowen earthquake was significant but not the biggest in recent years in Australia.

"We had an earthquake in Northern Territory earlier which was 6.1 and that was the largest earthquake in 20 years and it has certainly been an active 12 months for earthquakes in Australia."

Had the epicentre of Thursday's quake been on land it may have had the potential to do more damage than the Newcastle earthquake in the late 1980s that claimed 13 lives, he said."
snip

3 people like this

October 23rd, 2016.

3 people like this

I might add to the earthquake of Bowen that a mysterious loud boom was heard a few days before this  at Eton,a small town 40 k's west of Mackay.It was reported in the local paper [Daily Mercury] and was heard by quite a few of the locals.These booms have been heard before and have not been accounted for yet as far as I know.Maybe there is a connection here ??They have been ruled out by authorities as being associated with the mining industry! Bythe way ,nice map Breezy,Ayr was where I was born and raised many moons ago.

4 people like this

Part of a series of earthquakes,one registered at 6.5(?)

Earthquake hits Italy, measuring 6.1

Second quake rattles central Italy about an hour after a massive tremor hit close to the town of Norcia, reportedly destroying towns.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/83518150/62-magnitude-earthquake-hits-central-italy

BREAKING: 6.2-magnitude earthquake shakes Rome, central Italy

A strong 6.2-magnitude earthquake struck central Italy at 3:36 a.m. local time Wednesday morning, the USGS reported.

The epicenter was located 10 kilometers (6 miles) southeast of Norcia, Italy with a depth of 10 kilometers (6 miles). Norcia is located about 111 kilometers (69 miles) from Rome.

(interesting numbers....)

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/breaking-62-magnitude-earthquake-italy-rome/59658636

5 people like this

there've been a couple more hitting Thailand and Indonesia in the 6+ range too.

A powerful 6.8 magnitude earthquake struck central Myanmar Wednesday, killing at least one person and damaging pagodas in the ancient city of Bagan, officials said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3756251/Earthquake-6-8-magnitude-strikes-central-Myanmar-USGS.html#ixzz4IFmAgu2s
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3756251/Earthquake-6-8-magnitude-strikes-central-Myanmar-USGS.html

According to the head of the earthquake and tsunami mitigation division at the Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency, the impact of the tectonic earthquake had not been strongly felt due to the depth of its epicenter.

http://aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/strong-earthquake-hits-sea-off-indonesia/634274

4 people like this

Are Megaquakes Coming? Another Government (Czech Republic) Warns People To 'Be Prepared For The Worst'

Posted By: NaturalWisdom
Date: Wednesday, 24-Aug-2016 18:16:15

Are Megaquakes Coming? Another Government Warns People To 'Be Prepared For The Worst'

By Susan Duclos - All News PipeLine

Aug 24, 2016

Click here

[snip]

tectonicplates222.gif

With ISL reporting that yet another government, the Czech Republic, is warning their people to "prepare for the worst," joining the growing list of governments across the globe that have issued similar warnings, including the U.S and more recently Germany, we are brought back to the questions of what exactly are they worried enough about to issue instructions to start "preparing," all within the last few months?

In Germany the plan to instruct their populace to prepare was in case of an "attack or catastrophe," and when Barack Obama told U.S. citizens to "be prepared" for disaster, it was timed with the Cascadia Rising 2016 drill, along with the unveiling of a FEMA app, and a look at the current seismic activity across the globe, the active and erupting volcanoes, the increasing strength and frequency of earthquakes, we have to wonder if these governments aren't issuing these warnings because they are expecting a series of megaquakes.

According to this real time
map
, created by Mapbox using USGS earthquake data feed, there have been over 8,600 tremors detected worldwide over the past month alone, with over 1,600 tremors detected just this past week, just to put the massive amount of seismic activity occurring now into context.

Today we woke to the news that at least 73 people were killed, with another 150+ believed to be trapped in rubble after a
6.2-magnitude quake struck at 3.30am local time near Norcia in Umbria, central Italy,
with scenes described as hellish and witnesses saying it looked like "Dante's inferno," with four towns almost wiped off the map, according to The
Daily Mail

Following that a
6.8-magnitude hit central Burma
. These follow the news last week of a powerful 7.4-magnitude quake shook the Southern Atlantic Ocean, according to the USGS.

The point being... we are seeing a unusual amount of activity, specifically major earthquakes and a number of active and/or erupting volcanoes.

More
http://allnewspipeline.com/Mega_Quakes_Govs_Preparing.php

Source http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?read=54812

5 people like this