breezy

Sugar named 'most addictive and dangerous substance' of our time

31 posts in this topic

September 28, 2013

Sugar named 'most addictive and dangerous substance of our time', worse than cigarettes and alcohol

"While the rest of the world is busy obsessing over the dangers of cigarettes and alcohol, the head of Amsterdam's health service in the Netherlands is trying to raise awareness about a much bigger and more pervasive health threat: sugar. According to Paul Van der Velpen, sugar is the most dangerous and addictive substance of modern times, and more needs to be done in the interests of public health to make people aware of the many harms caused by this ubiquitous drug.

In a recent letter posted by GGD Nederland, an association of the country's community health services, Van der Velpen discusses the issue of obesity, rates of which have risen dramatically in the Netherlands in recent years. Pointing out that obesity, which is linked to metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular disease and a host of other chronic ailments, saps the healthcare system of tens of millions of dollars annually, Van der Velpen emphasizes that exercise is simply not enough to reverse this growing trend.

Bravely defying processed food industry claims, which insist that sugar consumed "in moderation" is just fine, Van der Velpen delves into the actual science behind how the body responds to sugar as opposed to protein and fat. In his letter, Van der Velpen explains that sugar intensifies food cravings, for instance, and causes people to eat far more than they otherwise would without it. Additionally, he points out that sugar also disrupts normal food metabolism, eventually leading to addiction.

"Just like alcohol and tobacco, sugar is actually a drug," writes Van der Velpen, in an English translation from the original Dutch. "This may seem exaggerated and far-fetched, but sugar is the most dangerous drug of the times and can still be easily acquired everywhere ... The use of sugar should be discouraged. And users should be made aware of the dangers."

Read more here:

http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/2013/09/28/sugar-named-most-addictive-and-dangerous-substance-of-our-time-worse-than-cigarettes-and-alcohol/

2 people like this

Do I hear an Amen to that?... I have always known this...just look at what having refined sugar has done :angry:  to the natives of this world?

1 person likes this

curious

saw the thread earlier

you posted the same picture as the article linked

but my revisit now shows the picture has changed to an Earth with selene and lilith (although the dark smaller sister is in the wrong position)

the sugar mommy?

maybe im reading into things again....

hmmmm

direct linking of images has never been so revealing

and yes refined sugar is the single most addictive drug on the legal market

2 people like this

Sucrose is a combination of glucose bonded to fructose. But it's a weak bond, you hit it with any sort of acid and sucrose will break apart into glucose and fructose. Lemon juice or stomach acid will do it. The glucose part isn't bad at all. But the fructose gets handled about the same way alcohol is - it's identified as a toxin and the liver deals with it as best as it can.

So what about the fructose in fruit? Well, it's still fructose, and it's still bad for you. But the other things in fruit are good for you, the vitamins and the fiber, and especially that Vitamin C in the oranges. And the fiber sort of puts a limit on the amount of fruit you can eat.

Fruit juice isn't that much better than soda, to be honest. Maybe it has a bit more vitamins in it, but all the fiber is gone and there's no limit on how much you drink. There was a study done on poor childen in NYC and they couldn't tell much difference between kids given sodas and kids given juice. Strangely nobody thought to give kids beer to see if there was a qualitative difference between juice and beer.

Sugar isn't necessarily bad, but these days, they. put. sugar. in. everything. And it's more or less to increase sales. I mean, you're supposed to put a little bit of sugar in spaghetti sauce to balance out the taste, but I know they go way way way beyond what anyone in their own kitchen would add to the sauce. You might as well drizzle syrup over your pasta. And it's like that with every product on the shelf these days.

Back in the old days, you had a full time chef in the kitchen and a lot of this nonsense was bypassed. It was always there, but the women held the food processor barbarians on the outside the gate. Now the corporate barbarians are inside and running amok. And nobody cooks anymore.

I have no idea what the solution is. There may not be one apparent until society breaks down enough to reset some expectations.

6 people like this

for those interested Gary Taubes,  a well regarded science journalist,  has nailed the sugar addiction = obesity relationship.... this has worked for quite a few people.

his smaller, more readable later work:  http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307474259/

his earlier laying out of the science - more detailed: http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Controversial-Science/dp/1400033462/ref=pd_sim_b_1

his blog/online material: http://garytaubes.com

1 person likes this

back then i wasn't even aware i was a sugar addict 

sugarholic i might say 

today i took a intake of youghurt with a bit sugar 

just for the acidilous bacidolous or something like that 

i had read that is good for stomach repairing cells 

i instantly had a bad day or more inclined to darker moods 

i thought that is how mentality is run around here 

there is always some very dark energy's around 

i avoid sugar most of the time 

but very rarely i do or did 

after reading cucumbers is good for muscle rebuild

pleasure is certaily pain as i have now realized 

after a sip or slurp of youghurt

has anyone here before been on a sugar binge?

what was the way out ?

2 people like this

My Family Stopped Eating Sugar For a Year and This is What Happened

Once upon a time, I was healthy - at least I thought I was.

Sure, I lacked enough energy to get me through the day, but with all the commercials on TV touting energy drinks for America's tired masses, I always assumed I wasn't the only one suffering. And sure, everyone in my family dreaded the coming cold and flu season, but again, I thought come January everyone develops some degree of germophobia.

At least, that's what I thought until I heard some disturbing new information about the effects of sugar. According to several experts, sugar is the thing that is making so many Americans fat and sick. The more I thought about it the more this made sense to me - a lot of sense. One in seven Americans has metabolic syndrome. One in three Americans is obese. The rate of diabetes is skyrocketing and cardiovascular disease is America's number one killer.

According to this theory, all of these maladies and more can be traced back to one large toxic presence in our diet… sugar.

A Bright Idea

I took all of this newfound knowledge and formulated an idea. I wanted to see how hard it would be to have our family - me, my husband, and our two children (ages 6 and 11) - spend an entire year eating foods that contained no added sugar.We'd cut out anything with an added sweetener, be it table sugar, honey, molasses, maple syrup, agave or fruit juice. We also excluded anything made with fake sugar or sugar alcohols. Unless the sweetness was attached to its original source (e.g., a piece of fruit), we didn't eat it.

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/family-stopped-eating-sugar-happened-202700552.html

6 people like this

I find it very interesting MSM is now allowing, even promoting, stories about refined sugar being downright bad for humans.  This info has been around for decades but only since last year, it seems, has it been allowed in the news.

There is an excellent infomercial (believe it) going viral online for a product called Keybiotics (a pro-biotic) describing how primarily SUGAR is what is causing our gut bacteria imbalance, and how simply eliminating sugars (and a few other things) from our diet will allow our gut bacteria population to even out and self correct.

NPR also ran a segment last fall discussing 'new discoveries' in our body's 'micro-biome' the 4 billion+ cells of microorganisms in and on our body, most of which are in our gut, that regulate many things, but especially our health and 'may even be linked to' our mood.  It was an engaging but somewhat couched presentation because, you know, the public ain't quite ready for the whole truth yet!

I remember when I did my first bio cleanse years ago, feeling depressed the first few days of the process but how good I felt afterwards. I actually think part of this was my body feeling the the die-off of millions of some of these over-populating microbes in my gut.  I have other reasons to believe this 'die-off' was occurring, but I won't go into those spectacularly gross details, tyvm.

6 people like this

Here's another good one on the microbiome:  http://theconversation.com/education-breastfeeding-and-gender-affect-the-microbes-on-our-bodies-25683

It should probably have it's own topic, this one is going to blow up over the next few years.

Edit: Never mind, found it!

Here's NexEd's OP on the microbiome from 2 years ago.  This is going to be a hot topic in medicine the next few years, so let's give it a lot of positive energy. 

Reminder that 'bad' bacteria overgrowth in the gut is most commonly caused by refined and excessive sugar consumption.

2 people like this

Sugar is addictive because it spikes the dopamine levels in the brain, which is part of the brains reward system. Foods will spike dopamine but if you eat the same thing over again it drops of which ensures we eat enough variety of foods to get essential nutrients. When we eat too much sugar the dopamine levels don't drop off so we always feel rewarded and continue to crave sugar rich foods.

Heres an interesting short video (The Science of Addictive Food) about how the food industry design food to keep us buying the same crap. http://youtu.be/4cpdb78pWl4

Side note: anyone else find sugar amounts in recipes way too high? I rarely make cakes/muffins/biscuits anymore but I always half the sugar because it's too sickly sweet.

4 people like this

My Family Stopped Eating Sugar For a Year and This is What Happened

Once upon a time, I was healthy - at least I thought I was.

Sure, I lacked enough energy to get me through the day, but with all the commercials on TV touting energy drinks for America's tired masses, I always assumed I wasn't the only one suffering. And sure, everyone in my family dreaded the coming cold and flu season, but again, I thought come January everyone develops some degree of germophobia.

At least, that's what I thought until I heard some disturbing new information about the effects of sugar. According to several experts, sugar is the thing that is making so many Americans fat and sick. The more I thought about it the more this made sense to me - a lot of sense. One in seven Americans has metabolic syndrome. One in three Americans is obese. The rate of diabetes is skyrocketing and cardiovascular disease is America's number one killer.

According to this theory, all of these maladies and more can be traced back to one large toxic presence in our diet… sugar.

A Bright Idea

I took all of this newfound knowledge and formulated an idea. I wanted to see how hard it would be to have our family - me, my husband, and our two children (ages 6 and 11) - spend an entire year eating foods that contained no added sugar.We'd cut out anything with an added sweetener, be it table sugar, honey, molasses, maple syrup, agave or fruit juice. We also excluded anything made with fake sugar or sugar alcohols. Unless the sweetness was attached to its original source (e.g., a piece of fruit), we didn't eat it.

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/family-stopped-eating-sugar-happened-202700552.html

I can concur if you give up sugar in a serious way, when you eat something that has it you can actually be repulsed by the "sickly sweet" taste is how it might be described. After many many months of no sugar and no carbs diet I was at a wedding and  decided to allow myself have some wedding cake and I could not finish it. I was somewhat repulsed by the TOO sweet taste. Yuk!

Once you give up sugar you reconnect with normal hunger. Sugar cravings are akin to the cravings of any type of drug. It changes your personality and behaviour much like a junkie trying to get their next fix. You dont' realise it until you come off it. 

2 people like this

When things are going well in my life, I rarely eat sweets and when things are crummy or I am experiencing major grief, I eat a lot of sweets. They seem to help me keep a positive perspective and I actually feel better. I have almost always been very thin, but when I am in the sweet mode, I do gain some weight.

1 person likes this

THERE IS AN ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM IT'S NAME IS SYNSEPALUM DULCIFICUM, BUT IT WAS CLASSIFIED AS A "FOOD ADDITIVE" BY THE FDA.

Synsepalum dulcificum, also known as the miracle fruit, is a plant with a berry that, when eaten, causes sour foods (such as lemons and limes) subsequently consumed to taste sweet. This effect is due to miraculin, which is used commercially as a sugar substitute. Common names for this species and its berry include miracle fruit,[2]miracle berry, miraculous berry,[2]sweet berry,[3][4][5] and in West Africa, where the species originates, agbayun,[6]taami, asaa, and ledidi.

An attempt was made in the 1970s to commercialize the ability of the fruit to turn unsweet foods into sweet foods without a caloric penalty, but ended in failure when the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) classified the berry as a food additive.[7] There were controversial circumstances with accusations that the project was sabotaged and the research burgled by the sugar industry to prevent loss of business caused by a drop in the need for sugar.[13] The FDA has denied that pressure was put on it by the sugar industry.[14] Similar arguments are noted for the FDA's regulation on stevia now labeled as a "dietary supplement" instead of a "sweetener".

This fruit is one of the reasons I have been hanging out to see who buys this property I've been living on. I have many seeds ready to go into the ground so as to start introducing this wonderful fruit to the world. First stop will be oncologists as one of these fruit sucked on before chemo will mask the metallic taste in a patients mouth.

But it has the potential to stop many cancers beginning as the flesh of one fruit equals in sweetness, many bags of sugar without the calorific baddies-

The berry itself has a low sugar content[7] and a mildly sweet tang. It contains a glycoprotein molecule, with some trailing carbohydrate chains, called miraculin.[8][9] When the fleshy part of the fruit is eaten, this molecule binds to the tongue's taste buds, causing sour foods to taste sweet. At neutral pH, miraculin binds and blocks the receptors, but at low pH (resulting from ingestion of sour foods) miraculin binds protons and becomes able to activate the sweet receptors, resulting in the perception of sweet taste.[10] This effect lasts until the protein is washed away by saliva (up to about 60 minutes).[11]

The names miracle fruit and miracle berry are shared by Gymnema sylvestre and Thaumatococcus daniellii,[2] which are two other species of plant used to alter the perceived sweetness of foods.

Years ago every old hippie in my area had one of these plants in their garden as a curio.

Warning:  Not to be sucked on prior to drinking beer, as this will ruin the taste of your beer for hours. If your wife (or husband) is a crappy cook, one little berry will make their food taste bearable.

As you will see on the link, a US oncologist put an application for it's use in 2008, not sure what's happening with it yet but the second link has some info (d/loading vid atm).

If the new owner of this property and I can come to some long term arraignment, I will be filling all the hard to mow slopes here with miracle fruit shrubs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_fruit

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/7/9/the_fruit_hunters_a_story_of

Imagine if every manufacturer of junk food, soft-drinks were forced to substitute their sweeteners with miracle fruit, cokecola could become a tonic again, especially if they put the other two goodies back into it :wink:

12 people like this

1IGVuwL.jpg
3 people like this

I found 100% Natural/Wild Harvested Coconut Sugar from Sri Lanka at my local grocery store last week.  'Low GI (35), 100% Yummy', was the description.  Also - 'mineral rich containing twice the iron, 4 times the magnesium & over 10 times the zinc than regular sugar', (but that's probably not saying much).  'It comes from the flower blossom of the coconut palm, the syrup is heated to evaporate the water producing a mild caramel taste'.  It doesn't sound as processed as white cane/beet sugar and it tastes quite nice. 

It's more expensive and maybe used in moderation it's an answer to the ones of us who are still addicted.

4 people like this

I found 100% Natural/Wild Harvested Coconut Sugar from Sri Lanka at my local grocery store last week.  'Low GI (35), 100% Yummy', was the description.  Also - 'mineral rich containing twice the iron, 4 times the magnesium & over 10 times the zinc than regular sugar', (but that's probably not saying much).  'It comes from the flower blossom of the coconut palm, the syrup is heated to evaporate the water producing a mild caramel taste'.  It doesn't sound as processed as white cane/beet sugar and it tastes quite nice. 

It's more expensive and maybe used in moderation it's an answer to the ones of us who are still addicted.

Coconut sugar is quite delicious but I would consider it in the same as way as honey and should be used sparingly. It is really nice though with a sliced green apple and chopped pecan nuts like a raw apple crumble.

2 people like this

Many processed food products are protein-poor but are engineered to taste like protein. Many people therefore eat far too much fat and carbohydrate in their attempt to ingest enough protein. In this way, engineered foods subvert the appetite control systems that should be helping to balance the consumption of macronutrients. The results are striking. In the United States, the typical diet saw a 0.8% decline in protein concentration between 1971 and 2006. During this same period, the consumption of calories from carbohydrates and fats increased by 8%, a trend reflected in the rising prevalence of obesity3, but protein intake remained almost unchanged.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v508/n7496_supp/full/508S66a.html

The human body processes most carbs and proteins into sugars which are used to produce pure energy for essential cellular reproduction and protective functions.  The new truth is that in many well and over-fed humans there is a growing quotient of parasites that subvert the human body's natural sugar production from intake of normal, 'healthy' carb and protein giving foods.

I can't help but hear the prophet verse 'In those days there will be a battle of forces both seen and unseen'

2 people like this

I can't help but hear the prophet verse 'In those days there will be a battle of forces both seen and unseen'

Quite a few movies that depict aliens coming out of peoples guts. :wink:

1 person likes this

Ketogenic Diet Beats Chemo For Almost All Cancers

The low-carb, high-fat ketogenic diet can replace chemotherapy and radiation for even the deadliest of cancers, said Dr. Thomas Seyfried, a leading cancer researcher and professor at Boston College.

In an exclusive interview, Dr. Seyfried discussed why the ketogenic diet has not been embraced by the medical community to treat cancer despite its proven track record both clinically and anecdotally.

"The reason why the ketogenic diet is not being prescribed to treat cancer is purely economical," said Dr. Seyfried, author of Cancer as a Metabolic Disease. "Cancer is big business. There are more people making a living off cancer than there are dying of it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBjnWfT8HbQ#t=1147

Sorry can't get the you-boob to embed correctly, but it is worth listening to if you have some medical terminology knowledge

And here is a link to the PDF version of his book

http://www.bc.edu/sites/libraries/facpub/seyfried-cancer/book.pdf

1 person likes this

2 people like this

How many types of sugar are there to be processed by the gut?  Lots:

FODMAPs and the Paleo Diet

“FODMAPs:” it sounds like a bizarre military acronym, or maybe the name of some incredibly specialized and complicated exercise that only the most dedicated of Crossfitters ever attempt. But FODMAPs actually stands for a list of several types of carbohydrates that can be difficult for many people to digest properly. Some people transition to a Paleo diet and immediately start to feel wonderful, but if you’re dutifully eating according to Paleo guidelines and still struggling with gas, bloating, constipation, or diarrhea, FODMAPs might be the culprit.

FODMAP stands for Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides, And Polyols. These are all types of carbohydrates found in many different types of fruits, vegetables and grains. The most common Paleo foods high in FODMAPs are:

• Fruits: apples, avocados, cherries, mangos, peaches, pears, watermelons, fruit juice and dried fruit
  • Vegetables: onions, garlic, cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, artichoke, eggplant, mushrooms, cauliflower
  • Dairy products: milk, yogurt, soft cheeses
  • Other: sugar alcohols (any sweetener that ends in –ol), honey, agave

This isn’t a complete list (a full list of FODMAPs commonly eaten on the Paleo diet is here), but it does give you an idea of what kinds of foods contain FODMAPs, especially the variety of fruits and vegetables that can be problematic. 

Because they’re so difficult to digest and absorb, FODMAPs are strongly correlated with symptoms of all kinds of functional gastrointestinal disorders (digestive problems that aren’t caused by a physical abnormality, like IBS). In one study, a FODMAPs-restricted diet showed a 75% success rate for treating patients with IBS – the FODMAPs didn’t cause IBS to develop, but removing them from the diet was very helpful in controlling symptoms. This makes FODMAPs prime suspects for inexplicable digestive symptoms on a strict Paleo diet: not only are they very common in the diet, but restricting them also has a high likelihood of doing some good.

4 people like this

49 Ways Sugar Can Ruin Your

Health

By Nancy Appleton

Nancy Appleton, Ph.D., is a

nutritional consultant,

researcher, lecturer, and author

of Lick the Sugar Habit, Healthy

Bones, and Balanced Body Secret.

1. Sugar can suppress the immune

system.

2. Sugar upsets the minerals in the body.

3. Sugar causes hyperactivity in children.

4. Sugar produces a significant rise in

triglycerides.

5. Sugar contributes to the reduction in

defense against bacterial infection.

6. Sugar can cause kidney damage.

7. Sugar reduces high density

lipoproteins.

8. Sugar leads to chromium deficiency.

9. Sugar leads to cancer of the breast,

ovaries, intestines, prostate and

rectum.

10. Sugar increases fasting levels of

glucose and insulin.

11. Sugar causes copper deficiency.

12. Sugar interferes with absorption of

calcium and magnesium.

13. Sugar weakens eyesight.

14. Sugar raises the level of

neurotransmitters called serotonin.

15. Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.

16. Sugar can produce an over-acid

stomach.

17. Sugar can raise adrenaline levels in

children.

18. Sugar can lead to anxiety, difficulty

concentrating and crankiness in

children.

19. Sugar can cause aging.

20. Sugar can lead to alcoholism.

21. Sugar causes tooth decay.

22. Sugar contributes to obesity.

23. Sugar can cause acidity in the

stomach.

24. Sugar can cause changes frequently

found in persons with gastric or

duodenal ulcers.

25. Sugar can cause arthritis.

26. Sugar can cause asthma.

27. Sugar can cause Candida albicans

(yeast infections.)

28. Sugar can cause gallstones.

29. Sugar can cause heart disease.

30. Sugar can cause appendicitis

31. Sugar can cause multiple sclerosis.

32. Sugar can cause hemorrhoids.

33. Sugar can cause varicose veins.

34. Sugar can elevate glucose and insulin

responses in oral contraceptive users.

35. Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.

36. Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.

37. Sugar contributes to saliva acidity.

38. Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin

sensitivity.

39. Sugar leads to decreased glucose

tolerance.

40. Sugar can decrease growth hormone.

41. Sugar can increase cholesterol.

42. Sugar can increase the systolic blood

pressure.

43. Sugar can cause drowsiness and

decreased activity in children.

44. Sugar can cause migraine headaches.

45. Sugar can interfere with the

absorption of protein.

46. Sugar causes food allergies.

47. Sugar can contribute to diabetes.

48. Sugar can cause toxemia during

pregnancy.

49. Sugar can contribute to eczema in

children.

6 people like this

The only time I use sugar is to stop hiccups dead in their tracks. One spoonful and they're done! It's not easy to take, But it works.

4 people like this

???

NEW SUGAR SUBSTITUTE: NANOPARTICLES OF SAND COATED IN SUGAR

Sugar is dietary enemy number one at the moment. The delicious compound can be found in many foods and beverages (even those that don’t taste sweet) and has been blamed for the obesity epidemic in the U.S. and beyond. Now an Israeli startup, DouxMatok, has devised a way to deliver sugar so that your tongue tastes the same amount of sweetness, but you’re ingesting only half the sugar, according to an article from Fast Company.

Here’s how it works, according to its patent: food-safe particles, nanometer-sized bits of cellulose or silica (the main component of beach sand, and also a common food additive), are individually coated with sugar.

http://www.popsci.com/new-sugar-formula-twice-potent-regular-sugar

8 people like this