METEORS, ASTEROIDS, COMETS and SUCH THINGS

393 posts in this topic

Earth Entering Comet Debris Field/Live

5 people like this

9th Jan 2017 Russia

Southern Russia, in Astrahan state.

4 people like this

Sneaky asteroid spotted whizzing between Earth and moon

A space rock large enough to do damage gives us a near miss just two days after being discovered.

c1vcyzcuaaa2xaq.jpg
Photo by Slooh Observatory

An asteroid roughly the size of a 10-story building gave Earth a particularly close pass Monday morning.

Asteroid 2017 AG13 came within half the distance from Earth to the moon as it buzzed by early Monday morning at 4:47 a.m. PT. The fly-by happened shortly after scientists at the Catalina Sky Survey first discovered the space rock on Saturday.

As you can see in the GIF below, the asteroid looks to just barely miss us as it passes. In the cosmic sense, it really was a close shave. In real terms, Earth had well over a 100,000-mile (161,000 kilometer) buffer of distance.

Snip 

https://www.cnet.com/news/asteroid-2017-ag13-passes-earth-moon-slooh/

6 people like this

BRILLIANT GREEN FIREBALL LIGHTS UP SKY OVER MIDWEST, SHAKES HOUSES WITH SONIC BOOM (VIDEOS)

Feb. 7, 2017       Lily Dane

green meteor

"Early yesterday morning, a large bright green fireball streaked through the sky over northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin, created a sonic boom, and sprinkled space rocks into Lake Michigan.
As of the time of this writing, the American Meteor Society (AMS) has received 467 reports of the fireball sighting. It was seen primarily from Illinois and Wisconsin, but witnesses from Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, New York, Kentucky, Minnesota, and Ontario (Canada) also reported the event.
Meteors that light up the sky more than average are called fireballs, Popular Mechanics explains, and this one was particularly brilliant. While the exact magnitude of this meteor is not yet known, the AMS’s Mike Hankey said it “rivaled the brightness of the sun, and we can tell that by the shadows it cast in some of the videos.”
Hankey said the meteor created a sonic boom that shook houses in the region. Sonic booms occur when an object moves faster than sound waves in Earth’s atmosphere. Meteorites create a sonic boom only when they remain intact long enough to travel to relatively low altitudes, where Earth’s atmosphere is sufficiently dense, Hankey explained to Live Science. Most fireball meteors do not create a sonic boom – they burn up or break up into small pieces before they reach those low altitudes.
Estimated to be about the size of a car, the huge space rock flew over Lake Michigan, and pieces of it “most definitely” landed in the lake:

“The cloud of debris was picked up on NOAA’s NEXRAD Doppler Weather Radar, so this is a definitive source that rocks made it all the way down,” says Hankey. “Reports of sonic booms also suggest it survived passage through the upper atmosphere."

snip  + videos

Midwest Meteor Police Dash Cam

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/brilliant-green-fireball-lights-up-sky-over-midwest-shakes-houses-with-sonic-boom-videos_022017

5 people like this

Thunderous meteor rattles West Texas sky with sonic boom

Feb. 28, 2017  Liz Farmer

"A booming meteor rocketed over Texas this weekend, rattling houses with a sonic boom, according to reports. 
Authorities in West Texas and beyond received calls about possible explosions Sunday night. 

It turned out to be a very bright meteor, according to the American Meteor Society. 
About 40 people reported on the nonprofit group's website that they'd seen the fiery meteor in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Colorado about 9 p.m.
Deputy Fire Marshal Nathan Hines said he heard what sounded like thunder in Snyder, about 80 miles west of Abilene, the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal reports. 
"You could see a flash, like if an electrical transformer flashes at night, up to our northwest," Hines said. "But it was cloudy here — kinda rainy — so we didn't actually see any kind of fireball or anything."

Long fireball north north west of hawley, Tx 2-26-17 8:55 pm

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/news/2017/02/28/thunderous-meteor-rattles-texas-sky-rare-sonic-boom

4 people like this

19th April 2017

No, not doomed according to GabeHash.

4 people like this

FIREBALL SPOTTED OFF CALIFORNIA COAST DURING UNUSUAL NAVY ANTI-SUB PATROL

Kit Daniels       April 11, 2017

Missile test? Fireball near where numerous, low-flying sub-hunting aircraft circled ocean

"A “bright, pulsing orb” streaking across the sky was spotted off the California coast after US and Canadian anti-submarine aircraft conducted an unusual patrol of the area.

Meteor Blazes Through Night Sky Over California

The green “fireball” occurred on Monday night near an area of ocean where numerous, low-flying sub-hunting aircraft, including a Navy EP-3E Aries II, a Navy P-3C Orion, and a Boeing P-8 Poseidon, spent several hours circling, a patrol which military observers described as odd and unlike routine exercises.

snip images

The exploding streak was bright enough for thousands of Southern California residents to see off the coast, and after local media reported on the orb, the National Weather Service claimed it was possibly a “meteor.”

snip

https://www.infowars.com/fireball-spotted-off-california-coast-during-unusual-navy-anti-sub-patrol/

meteor or military flare?

5 people like this

Just saw one of these come down directly West of my house.  It was VERY CLOSE and looked like it was less than a kilometre away (but probably was more) so would probably have landed in the ocean just off the Coast.  No Tsunami happening so guess its all OK.

Green fireballs are a type of unidentified flying object which have been sighted in the sky since the late 1940s.[1] Early sightings primarily occurred in the southwestern United States, particularly in New Mexico.[2][3][4] They were once of notable concern to the US government because they were often clustered around sensitive research and military installations, such as Los Alamos and Sandia National Laboratory, then Sandia base.[2][3][4]

Meteor expert Dr. Lincoln LaPaz headed much of the investigation into the fireballs on behalf of the military. LaPaz's conclusion was that the objects displayed too many anomalous characteristics to be a type of meteor and instead were artificial, perhaps secret Russian spy devices. The green fireballs were seen by many people of high repute including LaPaz, distinguished Los Alamos scientists, Kirtland AFB intelligence officers and Air Command Defense personnel.[5] A February 1949 Los Alamos conference attended by aforementioned sighters, Project Sign, world-renowned upper atmosphere physicist Dr. Joseph Kaplan, H-bomb scientist Dr. Edward Teller, other scientists and military brass concluded, though far from unanimously, that green fireballs were natural phenomena. To the conference attendees, though the green fire ball source was unknown, their existence was unquestioned.[6] Secret conferences were convened at Los Alamos to study the phenomenon[citation needed] and in Washington by the U.S. Air Force Scientific Advisory Board.[2][3][4][7]

In December 1949 Project Twinkle, a network of green fireball observation and photographic stations, was established but never fully implemented. It was discontinued two years later, with the official conclusion that the phenomenon was probably natural in origin.[8]

Green fireballs have been given natural, man-made, and extraterrestrial origins and have become associated with both the Cold War and ufology.[2][3][4] Because of the extensive government paper trail on the phenomenon, many ufologists consider the green fireballs to be among the best documented examples of unidentified flying objects (UFOs).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_fireballs

green_fireball_in_US.jpg

2 people like this

Jim Stone says a near miss of Earth by an asteroid was observed by him and many others over Mexico last night

Posted By: MrFusion [Send E-Mail]
Date: Friday, 16-Jun-2017 11:38:11

Source:
http://82.221.129.208/baaasepagew1.html

I have arranged the three reports from his page in chronological order.

From Jim Stone's site:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just saw what was probably an asteroid miss the earth by about 150 miles

I do not think it would have been the space station because it was far too bright and appeared to have two mountains on it. It traveled approximately west to east and passed directly over Leon Mexico. It was probably about 150 miles up because when it got to a position at about 20 degrees above the horizon an hour after sunset, it changed colors from white to yellow to orange to red to gone (in a few seconds) which would be explained by having the sun set on the horizon behind it as it went past the earth. The speed was much higher than I'd expect a satellite to be, it took it about 25 seconds for it to go from directly overhead to passing into the earth's shadow at about 20 degrees above the horizon.

After I concluded it was not an airplane I pointed out the bright light to Claudia a few seconds before it started to change color and disappear and she said asteroid. I did not even have to tell her because it was obvious. And then she said no airplane changes colors to red and vanishes like that

My guess is it had to have been about a mile across because you could pick out two mountain peaks on it but could not see detail. It might make the news, but passing over Mexico it might get missed.

I have confirmed the "asteroid sighting" was not the space station

This went almost directly from west to east, and it's intensity stayed the same during the entire traverse, which would have taken about a minute and 20 seconds if viewed crossing the entire sky. That does not match the space station or any satellite.

Satellites take longer to traverse the sky, are not as bright, and in the case of the space station, the direction of travel was wrong.

DEFINITELY A NEAR EARTH ASTEROID LAST NIGHT

I have received secondary confirmation from another witness, who saw it approach from the Western horizon. This person said that as it approached it had a halo, which would definitely peg this as a near earth deep space asteroid. I could not see the halo as it passed overhead because I first saw it as it came over the house when I stepped out of the front door and when looking straight up at it (and as it went to the West, the halo was not visible, (at least to me). It was attention getting bright, it caused me to look up at it.

I will go into a little more detail - I figured it was going between 65, 000 and 80, 000 mph and was between 100 and 150 miles up. It stayed visible for a total time (Western horizon to disappearance behind the earth's shadow) of about 1 minute and 20 seconds. It was prominent enough to tell it had two mountains on it, or a valley down the middle of it. It passed DIRECTLY over Leon Mexico at 9:30 PM central time. It disappeared when it was about 20 degrees above the eastern horizon. From this, people can calculate approximately how high it was. My guess of it's altitude is completely perceptual, but there is a way to calculate a close approximation of how high it was because there are reference points here (the time it went over and the inclanation at which it disappeared that can tie it down fairly close. It's trajectory was almost exactly west to east.

People assume that all the telescopes and Nasa and other observers are always going to see something like this approach. But most of these objects get missed until they actually arrive, and with it passing over central Mexico south of the Tropic of Cancer, there may not be any official acknowledgement of it passing at all. The story would be different if this thing passed over the central United States.

Its appearance was unbelievably bright, but it did not hit the atmosphere. I'd say it appeared to be well over 5 times as bright as the brightest Venus ever gets. And if it was possible to tell it had either two mountains or a valley down the middle of it, it was HUGE.

Other observers also clearly saw it as an asteroid. A lot of people saw it because it was impossible to miss because it was extremely attention getting bright. The initial report on this is farther down the page.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Source http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?read=77389

4 people like this

Watch: Fireball 'brighter than the moon' plummets to Earth

June 6, 2017

snip   video

"A spectacular fireball meteor shining “brighter than the moon” seen plummeting to Earth has been captured by a beach camera in Devon.

The fireball, an especially bright meteor was spotted from Nottingham to Guernsey, and as far away as north-west France, with over 50 members of the public reporting the sighting.

snip

Witness Carl Maynard explained: “I saw this from Chertsey in Surrey. I just happened to be looking at Jupiter when I saw the meteor come down. I saw greens and orange in the flames it was pretty awesome.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/06/06/watch-fireball-meteor-caught-webcam-soaring-devon-beach/

5 people like this

Meteor "Shook Earth" | Space Rock puts on BIG show in S Africa | Possible impact

2 people like this

There seems to be a lot of these type of close meteorites approaching lately. 

Further to my post on 19 May when I personally saw the green meteorite flash so close that I thought it would impact earth or ocean nearby, another woman in town witnessed exactly the same thing in the same spot as I did about a week later.  A friend who passed on the info of the second sighting to me questioned the odds of two incidences of exactly the same thing (never seen here before) happening in exactly the same spot within 10 days.  What are the odds?  And are they really meteorites or directed technology being placed around the earth?  God only knows.

I remember (some time ago now) clearly dreaming of standing on my balcony and witnessing a huge meteorite shower up river North of our Town.  My partner and I just stood and watch multiple small meteorites falling to earth and starting fires as they landed in bushland north of us.

7 people like this

A plane-size asteroid buzzes by Earth undetected

July 27, 2017    Eric Mack

A big space rock slipped right by us last week and was only spotted as it left our cosmic neighborhood.

"Astronomers first spotted an asteroid about as long as a 737 passenger jet on Sunday and analyzed its path to determine it had made a close pass by our planet three days earlier.

In other words, the big space rock slipped right by us without being detected and was only seen in our cosmic rear-view mirror.

While the asteroid, now named 2017 001, flew right on by without incident, it was a relatively close pass. It came within about one-third the distance between Earth and the moon, roughly 76,448 miles (123,031 km).

With an estimated size of between 82 and 256 feet (25 and 78 meters), it was around three times as big as the bolide that entered our atmosphere in 2013 and exploded over Chelyabinsk, Russia, blowing out windows and causing numerous injuries on the ground. That house-size bit of cosmic debris also had been previously undetected."

snip

https://www.cnet.com/news/asteroid-2017-001-close-pass-space-earth-nasa-undetected/

3 people like this

Planetary Defense System Goes Online As NASA Issues Grave Asteroid Warning

The blockbuster hit “Armageddon” showed Bruce Willis saving the entire planet by executing an asteroid destruction method that was more science fiction than possibility. Although many people wonder about the validity of a space projectile actually hitting the planet, scientists know that it’s a definite possibility, and NASA has not been idle on addressing the threat of a planet killing impact.

They’ve developed a “planetary defense system” to protect Earth from global annihilation. The doomsday prevention network provides usable data that is required to detect incoming asteroids, determine their trajectory, and eventually deflect them so that Earth won’t be destroyed.

On October 12, a rouge asteroid will pass very close to the planet. Scientists intend to test their defense system using 2012 TC4, which will pass approximately 4,200 miles from the planet.

https://conservativedailypost.com/planetary-defense-system-goes-online-nasa-issues-grave-asteroid-warning/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=TAC&utm_campaign=Georgette

4 people like this

Exploding shooting star 'superbolide' creates HUGE FIREBALL as it bursts over city

Belinda Robinson    Oct. 5, 2017

A SHOOTING star turned into a massive fireball and exploded over a city in China with the equivalent of 540 tonnes of TNT.

superbolide

A shooting star turned into a massive fireball in China

"The astrological event, dubbed a “superbolide” was an exploding meteor that shined brighter than the moon in Yunnan Province, Shangri-La County.

NASA described the star as a huge fireball that dazzled eyewitnesses who saw it flit through the sky yesterday.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing a large shooting star which they duly recorded on their mobile phones.

NASA confirmed that the superbolide explosion was similar to 540 tonnes of TNT devoting in the sky.

The phenomenon happened during the Chinese national holiday of Mid-Autumn night, so there were many witnesses to the incredible sight."

snip

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/862900/NASA-meteor-called-superbolide-with-540-tonnes-of-TNT-turned-into-a-massive-fireball-China

5 people like this

Asteroid 2012 TC4 to make VERY close approach to Earth - So close gravity will alter its path!

4 people like this