Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
breezy

WILD FIRES....

125 posts in this topic

For your survival information...

If ever you are caught in a bush/brush/wildfire while driving, the safest place for you is to stay in the vehicle. (this is what we bushfire-fighters have learnt).

The reason - there is a wall of heat that travels just ahead of the flames, often well over 1,000 degrees C. Against it, the human body has no chance, but it passes within a couple of seconds.  After that, you get the flames, for maybe 5-10 minutes.

The best chance of survival is to seal all the windows, and if given a chance, position the vehicle in a clear an area as possible.  Get down as low to the floor as possible, and cover yourself as much as possible, try not to expose any skin or flesh, as we see where people were holding a blanket and their exposed fingers were burnt off.

Yes, the vehicle will most likely catch fire (and cars don't explode), but the air inside will remain breathable for a couple of minutes, allowing the main fire-storm to pass, so try to stay under cover as long as you can, and at the last possible moment, then 'bail-out'.  Keep low, even to find a hole in the ground or a culvert to shelter in.

At least with this, with a little thought and not panicking, you will get out alive, maybe injured and burnt, but alive.

Love and Light

7 people like this

@EagleWings, Thank you for that very pertinent and expert advice.  I would have never known or thought to take those precautions, if you hadn't taken the time to write it.

2 people like this

@EagleWings, Thank you for that very pertinent and expert advice.  I would have never known or thought to take those precautions, if you hadn't taken the time to write it.

Thanks breezy, I just hope that have to use the advice and go through a 'Burn-Over'.

From what I hear (from first-hand), the most frightening thing is the noise - very loud and scary.

We suggest you always carry a woolen blanket in the car - they are flash and fire-retardant and a good insulator.  Any other shielding should be fire rated if you can, but in an emergency, anything is better than nothing.

3 people like this

@EagleWings  and under wool, all I do is itch  LOL. but better to have skin that itches, rather than no skin at all.

Speaking of wildfires.  The West Coast of the US is, at this moment, quite literally, on fire. 

The following link shows an area of N. California, where Reddwolf's family and friends live.  Some are surrounded by as many as 40 fires caused by serious incidents of dry lightning.  I think they've now been advised to evacuate once again, Smoke is so thick it's hard to see or breathe.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4428/

The following is a Fire Map for the State of California

post-5-0-55361500-1438669377_thumb.jpg

The following link gives locations of fires currently burning in the US

http://www.geomac.gov/viewer/viewer.shtml

The fire situation in California is very bad, the state is on fire from the N to the S, and here is one close to where I live

The Wettest Rainforest in the United States Has Gone up in Flames

By Subhankar Banerjee

July 30, 2015

Paradise_fire_otu_img.jpg

Photo Courtesy of The National Wildfire Coordinating Group.

"The wettest rainforest in the continental United States had gone up in flames and the smoke was so thick, so blanketing, that you could see it miles away. Deep in Washington’s Olympic National Park, the aptly named Paradise Fire, undaunted by the dampness of it all, was eating the forest alive and destroying an ecological Eden. In this season of drought across the West, there have been far bigger blazes but none quite so symbolic or offering quite such grim news. It isn’t the size of the fire (though it is the largest in the park’s history), nor its intensity. It’s something else entirely—the fact that it shouldn’t have been burning at all. When fire can eat a rainforest in a relatively cool climate, you know the Earth is beginning to burn.

And here’s the thing: the Olympic Peninsula is my home. Its destruction is my personal nightmare and I couldn’t stay away."

snip

A FIRE THAT JUST WON’T STOP

Once the fire began, I just couldn’t keep away. On a rainy July 10, for instance, listening to James Taylor’s “Fire and Rain,” I drove toward the Queets River Valley to learn more about the Paradise Fire so that I could “talk about things to come.”

At the Kalaloch campground, I asked the first park employee I ran into whether the rain, then coming down harder, might extinguish the fire? “It will slow down the fire’s spread,” she told me, “but won’t put it out. There’s too much fuel in that valley.”

The next morning, with the rain still falling steadily and the fire still burning, I stood at the trailhead to the valley thinking about what another park employee had told me. “The sad thing,” she said, “is that the fire is burning in the most primitive of the three river valleys.” In other words, I was standing mere miles away from the destruction of one of the most primeval parts of the forest. As Queets was also one of the more difficult locations to visit, less attention was being given to the fire than if, say, it were in the always popular Hoh valley.

In a sense, the Paradise Fire has been burning out of sight of the general public. Information about it has been coming from press releases and updates prepared by the National Park Service. Though it is doing a good job of sharing information, environmental disasters and their lessons often sink in most deeply when they are observed and absorbed into collective memory via the stories, fears, and hopes of ordinary citizens."

snip

http://www.thenation.com/article/the-wettest-rainforest-in-the-united-states-has-gone-up-in-flames/

As a side note, yes, the US has lots of forests, but I believe this one on fire IS THE ONE AND ONLY TRUE RAIN FOREST in the 48 contingent states of the US.

Tx for info Reddwolf

3 people like this

Massive California wildfire jumps containment line

July 4, 2015

By HAVEN DALEY and TERENCE CHEA

"MIDDLETOWN, Calif. (AP) — As firefighters battled a massive Northern California wild land blaze threatening numerous homes, some of the 13,000 people urged to flee their residences were spending what may be just one of many nights in evacuation shelters.

The blaze that has charred nearly 97 square miles of brush and timber, jumped a highway Monday that had served as a containment line. Its rapid growth caught firefighters off guard and shocked residents.
Vicki Estrella, who has lived in the area for 22 years, stayed at a Red Cross shelter at Middletown High School along with her husband and their dog.
"It's amazing the way that thing spread," Estrella said. "There was smoke 300 feet in the air."

snip

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150804/us--california_wildfires-a9e83171a1.html

1 person likes this

@EagleWings  and under wool, all I do is itch  LOL. but better to have skin that itches, rather than no skin at all.

If you live in a danger zone, and/or you are worried - you can buy "Fire-Blankets" of various types and sizes.  One type we have in some of our bushfire trucks are about 2m/6' square, made (I think) from Fibreglass, and packed in a bag.

Check with fire protection equipment firms, see what they have.

2 people like this

Hundreds flee 'raining ash,' raging flames in 4 Western states

Hundreds of firefighters battled raging flames, fueled by extended drought and scorching heat, in Oregon, Idaho, Washington and California.

The wildfires left a trail of destruction and plunged 9,000 homes into darkness in Washington state after flames engulfed utility poles outside Chelan.

In California's Angeles National Forest, 10 firefighters were evacuated with minor injuries as a spate of fires raced across the state.

Evacuation orders remained in place in some of the states as flames threatened homes and buildings.

CALIFORNIA
A red flag warning is in effect for parts of California, where four years of historic drought have made it easy for flames to spread.

One of the state's largest blazes, the Route Complex, had razed 28,401 acres and was 28% contained early Monday, authorities said.

The fire, which affected areas around Mad River, Dinsmore and Hyampom, started last month following a lightning storm.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/17/us/western-states-wildfires/index.html

A dear friend of mine and a chani member, mamadirt, lives in Hyampom Ca and her home has been surrounded by fire for weeks now. She has had to evacuate twice  but is there at this time working to save her place.  As of this morning all structures on both sides of the valley are threatened. 

These are some pictures from the Route Complex threatening Hampom taken from a neighbors deck.

post-12-0-46516100-1439824319_thumb.png

post-12-0-32669400-1439824388_thumb.png

6 people like this

Wildfires evacuate more towns in Okanogan County

Many towns remained under an evacuation order as raging wildfires continued their advance through Okanogan County Friday evening and Saturday morning.

Evacuees and residents impacted by the fire are advised to shelter at Brewster Middle/High School in Brewster (503 S. 7th Street). Questions should be directed to the local Red Cross at (509) 670-5331. Cats and dogs are able to stay at the WASART shelter nearby. Free camping and showers for evacuees are also available at Okanogan Legion Park, 999 2nd Avenue N in Okanogan.

Officials say a failure at a Malott utility substation is causing power outages to Malott, Twisp and Winthrop. The Loup Transmission Line from Carlton to Twisp and Twisp to Mazama is also impacted. The earliest estimate for restoration is Saturday.

Obama signs emergency declaration for Washington wildfires

Earlier Friday, Pres. Barack Obama signed an emergency declaration, ordMany towns remained under an evacuation order as raging wildfires continued their advance through Okanogan County Friday evening and Saturday morning.

Evacuees and residents impacted by the fire are advised to shelter at Brewster Middle/High School in Brewster (503 S. 7th Street). Questions should be directed to the local Red Cross at (509) 670-5331. Cats and dogs are able to stay at the WASART shelter nearby. Free camping and showers for evacuees are also available at Okanogan Legion Park, 999 2nd Avenue N in Okanogan.

Officials say a failure at a Malott utility substation is causing power outages to Malott, Twisp and Winthrop. The Loup Transmission Line from Carlton to Twisp and Twisp to Mazama is also impacted. The earliest estimate for restoration is Saturday.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/wildfires/2015/08/21/evacuation-okanogan-area-tonasket-fire-rages/32103005/

http://www.krem.com/story/news/local/wildfire/2015/08/17/latest-alerts--inland-northwest-wildfires/31865771/

post-12-0-84224300-1440347552_thumb.png

2 people like this

UN Seen Starting Fires In North Central Washington

I just received a report from an eye witness that watched a White Colored UN Helicopter land on a mountain near Republic Washington and 2 men got out and started a brush fire.

This eye witness (Infantry Veteran) also sighted another odd looking aircraft fire a light beam into the woods and a forest fire erupted shortly afterwards.

These reports are spot on when it comes to location of the fires and is identical to reports of other fires starting across Washington State I have received.

Basically: These fires are being started by  US And UN aircraft.

Washington State is under attack by the United Nations and United States Corporation and since the US Nationals Forests currently belong to the government of China they are technically AT WAR with China and thus (According o the original and 2nd treaties signed) at war with the entire "BRICS Set Of Nations."

http://drwilliammount.blogspot.com/2015/08/un-seen-starting-fires-in-north-central.html

5 people like this

California town of 2,700 told to prepare to leave as wildfire surges – giant Sequoia grove threatened

Hundreds of people were forced to evacuated on Friday as a Northern California wildfire threatened rural communities, destroying six homes, threatening thousands more and prompting the governor to declare a state of emergency. “It’s expanding like a balloon,” state fire spokeswoman Nancy Longmore said. “It’s moving very fast. There’s many homes threatened…This fire is extremely dangerous.” The slow-moving fire managed to burn about a single square mile on Thursday. However, the fire exploded, burning 101 square miles by Friday evening. It was only 5 percent contained. At one point, the blaze was bearing down on the 2,700 residents of San Andreas, prompting an evacuation order for the entire town 60 miles east of Sacramento. However, the fire would change direction, and the order was called off a short time later, state fire spokesman Daniel Berlant said.

“The fire was quickly approaching the community,” Berlant said. “This fire is very dynamic and changing different directions with the topography… That makes it very unpredictable, and with the exponential growth, we’re seeing a lot of danger not only to residents in the path of this fire but to our own firefighters, as well.” San Andreas residents were still told to prepare to leave just in case the fire turned around again.

https://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2015/09/12/california-town-of-2700-told-to-prepare-to-leave-as-wildfire-surges-giant-sequoia-grove-threatened/

post-12-0-32362300-1442110193_thumb.png

5 people like this

northern california is burning

1 person likes this

GOV. BROWN DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY FOR 50,000-ACRE VALLEY FIRE

Katie Utehs

From Sept 13, 2015, soz guys late here

"LAKE COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- Governor Brown has declared a state of emergency in Lake and Napa counties due to the effects of the explosive 50,000-acre Valley Fire burning in Lake County. Entire communities have been devastated and thousands have been forced to evacuate.

READ MORE: Latest stories on fast-moving Valley Fire

Several hundred and up to 1,000 homes have been destroyed and hundreds more are being threatened, Cal Fire says.

Cal Fire says that over 1,000 firefighters are battling this blaze but their focus is on evacuating residents.

PHOTOS: Fire crews battle 10,000 acre Valley Fire in Lake County"

091415-ap-valley-5-img.jpg

http://abc7news.com/news/state-of-emergency-declared-for-50000-acre-valley-fire/982006/

tx Reddwolf

3 people like this

Out of control fireballs burn the small town to the ground, AUstralia

January 8, 2016

Elena Ugrin

australia_fire_feat.png

"A catastrophic "tumbling wave" of wildfire devastated a small town in southwest Australia and burned over 58 000 hectares of bushland on the evening of January 7, 2016 (local time). Residents were evacuated and several firefighters sustained injuries while battling the raging flames. 3 people are feared dead.

The town of Yarloop, south of Perth suffered massive damage as flames almost 50 m (160 feet) high forced the citizens to leave their homes. Shocked residents described the flames as "one fireball after another".

The wildfire was reported to start around 6.30 pm (local time) and proved to be extremely difficult to sustain, according to Jesse Puccio, a volunteer firefighter: "It just ripped through, it was quite scary. It's like when you see in the war when the napalm bombers go through."

snip   video at link

http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/2016/01/08/out-of-control-fireball-blasts-burn-the-small-town-to-the-ground-australia/

3 people like this

10152627_518444161663879_398346851235337

Yarloop fire shed

12440352_974860795914091_795166765248975

12419045_10153740469645568_7635467649806

12525469_10153740469720568_7034761169833

4 people like this

Yarloop from the air

12525684_10153740469830568_5059108258431

12419184_1233405123342168_21952340379919

12485828_1233405710008776_98640781281166

12440511_1233405643342116_21674414975423

12402122_1233405920008755_71162269546259

4 people like this

12493570_1233405923342088_56934270178724

945576_675014782601542_29810245603644033

a hard night

12507638_10153287391305887_2551740342617

4 people like this

Three homes destroyed in Reno/Harvey Co. wildfire

March 24, 2016

rs-JPG.jpg

Medicine Lodge radio towers saved from wildfire

Crews have worked to contain fire near Burrton

"Update-5 p.m. Thursday: The fire that has been contained near Burrton destroyed three homes before the threat was ended. Two of the homes were in Reno County and one was in Harvey County.

As crews worked to contain the fire Wednesday night into Thursday morning, an overnight perimeter was established in Harvey County. County officials worked with multiple incident management teams to coordinate command staff. Three taskforce groups covered approximately 30 square miles of land.

-----

8:45 a.m. press release update: Harvey County says fire crews continue to fight two active fires northwest of Burrton, contained to areas of 12th and Sand Hill Road, and 24th and River Park Road. 

There are no structures in immediate danger and no more evacuations are anticipated. "
snip

2 people like this

A huge wildfire in Fort McMurray, Alta., has raged through neighbourhoods and is now threatening the downtown core.

The entire city of 60,000 has been ordered evacuated. Residents fleeing the fire have caused gridlock on Highway 63 leading north and south out of the city.

Video at link

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/fort-mcmurray-evacuated-as-wildfire-destroys-homes-threatens-downtown-1.3563977

Forced to leave his Gregoire mobile home, as Howlett made his way south from downtown flames began to lick at the side of his pickup truck.

"I was going up the hill, and the traffic was three cars wide, and by the time I got up the hill, I couldn't see anything," Howlett said. "There was just smoke everywhere. I was just following headlights.

"I was sitting in my car in the line-up, and I could feel the heat of fire all around me."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/fort-mcmurray-wildfire-evacuees-flee-city-in-chaos-1.3565330

7 people like this

Fort McMurray fire now too large, too fierce to stop without rain

Three hundred firefighters on the ground and dozens more in the air continue to battle the most destructive wildfire Alberta has experienced in more than a century but, despite their best efforts, officials concede they are no match for the blaze.

The fire covered about 7,500 hectares on Wednesday; by Thursday noon, it had increased to 85,000 hectares, or 850 square kilometres.

The flames have consumed swaths of Fort McMurray and chased away most of the city’s residents — more than 80,000 people — in a panic-stricken last-minute mass evacuation that is already leaving emotional scars.

What began as a small brush fire outside city limits has grown into a raging inferno, increasing 10 times in size since the evacuation began Tuesday. It’s not known how the blaze started.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/fort-mcmurray-fire-now-too-large-too-fierce-to-stop-without-rain

6 people like this

Wildfire prompts evacuations on eastern end of Iron Range <<Minnesota

Andrew Kreuger

May 7, 2016

post-5-0-17966600-1462687376_thumb.jpg

An aerial view of burning vegetation at the wildfire east of Hoyt Lakes on May 6, 2016. (Photo courtesy of U.S. Forest Service)

"A wildfire prompted evacuations on the eastern Iron Range on Friday night as warm weather and tinder-dry vegetation created dangerous fire conditions across the region.

The U.S. Forest Service reported that a fire burning a few miles east of Hoyt Lakes, near Allen Junction Road and southeast toward the Skibo area, had forced the evacuation of six to eight seasonal cabins. In an update early Saturday morning, the fire was estimated at 1,000 acres and about five miles in length.

The Northland Village assisted-living facility on the eastern side of Hoyt Lakes also was being evacuated as a precaution, authorities said, with residents being moved to the Aurora Community Center.

“For precautionary reasons they’ve evacuated some homes out in that area, and they’ve also evacuated the assisted-living home right on the edge of town,” Hoyt Lakes City Councilor David Zins told the News Tribune."
snip

The Fort McMurray Wildfire, As Seen From Space

https://weather.com/safety/wildfires/news/fort-mcmurray-wildfire-from-space-images

6 people like this

Fort McMurray announces re-entry schedule, evacuation lifted on some oilsands camps

Residents from the lower townsite and southern areas of the city can return on June 1, if safe to do so

CBC News Posted: May 21, 2016 11:54 AM MT Last Updated: May 21, 2016 4:34 PM MT

Re-entry timeline depends on safety conditions

The fire known as "the beast" now sits at 504,443 hectares, seven times the size of Edmonton. This includes 741 hectares in Saskatchewan.

Bob Couture, the director of emergency management for Wood Buffalo, calls it "an incredible fire" but adds that, at the moment, it poses no imminent threat to any structure or any operation.

Couture said Wood Buffalo is working with Alberta Health to get all amenities, including the hospital, back in a fully functional state as quickly as possible for the re-entry process.

"When areas [of the city] are no longer threatened and they are meeting the big five conditions that we have, that [is when] we want operations and activities to go back to normal."

Fort McMurray evacuees could return home starting June 1

Re-entry will only occur on June 1 if five conditions are met. They include:

That the fire is no longer "an imminent threat" to the city (and air quality is not hazardous).

That the hospital is open and able to provide basic health services.

That fire and police departments are operational, and 911 and ambulance service are restored.

That all roads are open to traffic and natural gas and electricity have been fully restored.

That supplies of potable water and food are available, and people have access to banks and pharmacies.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/fort-mcmurray-reentry-1.3594189

3 people like this

This one is now out, but burned 600 acres in Washington State, near Vantage.  This area is dry, hilly, and very windy.  I am surprised they got it out as quick as they did.

Wildfire burned 600 acres near the Gorge in Grant County

May 30, 2016

grantco2_1464573382760_4532902_ver1.0_64

"GRANT COUNTY, Wash. —

A Level 3 evacuation order was in place for an area near Old Vantage Highway and Frenchman Coulee -- close to Quincy, Washington -- where a large wildfire was burning.

It was controlled Sunday night before 9 p.m., officials said. The blaze burned across 600 acres of mainly sage and grass.

By Monday at 11 a.m., the fire was out. Grant County Sheriff's Office spokesman Kyle Foreman said the fire has been ruled accidental.

Foreman said boaters told authorities they came ashore Sunday afternoon to start a fire in a fire ring to barbecue, but the wind picked up and the fire got out of hand.

The fire was in "difficult terrain" about 3 miles south of the Gorge Amphitheatre, Grant County officials said."
snip

Wildfire prompts evacuations near Gorge Amphitheatre

3 people like this