breezy

LANDSLIDES and AVALANCHES

82 posts in this topic

Crews launch soil nails to stabilize I-75 landslide in Campbell County

TENNESSEE

MAY 9, 2012

120508064340_P-%20I-75%20SOIL%20NAIL%20GUN2.jpgwbir img

holding it together with ground nails..

"TDOT has shut down all but one northbound lane of Interstate 75 between mile markers 141 and 144 in Campbell County.  The earliest any southbound lanes will reopen is Thursday.

The shut down comes because the embankment that collapsed beneath I-75 South on March 8 has now grown to threaten the median and northbound lanes.

TDOT brought in the big gun to defend I-75 North by hiring an emergency repair contractor from Grand Junction, Colorado.

"Myself and my crew got a call yesterday [Monday] and we arrived late last night," said Nate Beard, vice president and engineer with Soil Nail Launcher, Inc. "

Beard's crews will battle a beast of a mountainside with an oversized air gun originally built by the British military.

"It is a big compressed air launcher that would launch nerve gas canisters up to seven miles," said Beard.  "It has been modified to launch soil nails, which is a 20 foot long, 1.5 inch diameter steel tube.  We build that compressed air up to 3000 PSI, pull the trigger, and then it accelerates into the ground at 250 miles per hour."

In Campbell County, soil nail launcher crews are taking aim at a moving target, >>>>> my words.....the land he walked across late at night was gone in the am...to the bottom of the cliff

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/219306/2/Crews-launch-nails-to-stabilize-I-75-landslide

Preonzo,Switzerland - Part of Mountain Disappears in Seconds !!

May 18, 2012

Tara Kelly

"A landslide in the Swiss Alps caused 300,000 cubic meters of rock to slide down a mountainside, reports CNN. The collapse happened in intervals over the course of several hours.

Astounding footage of the landslide, which was provided by Swiss Broadcasting, shows rocks cascading down the hillside into the valley below.

The incident took place Monday near Preonzo in southern Switzerland. So far, no casualties have been reported, according to EuroNews.

While geologists say the cliff remains stable since Monday's incident, the area has been classified as a danger zone, with 500,000 cubic meters of debris that could still come down, World Radio Switzerland reports"

Swiss Alps - Part of Mountain Disappears in Seconds !!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/18/swiss-alps-landslide-preonzo-switzerland-video_n_1527570.html

there was also a landslide in Norway on Jan 1, 2012...

Massive Landslide in Trondheim, Norway 2012-01-01

Massive Landslide in Trondheim, Norway 2012-01-01

Eight killed in Indonesia landslide

Jakarta

May 26, 2012

"A landslide in Indonesia killed eight people, an official said Saturday, after days of heavy rain hit a mountainous part of the country's main island.

"The landslide occurred on Thursday night and killed eight people. We were able to retrieve all eight bodies by late Friday night," Bogor Disaster Mitigation Agency official Makmur Rozak told AFP.

He said 16 people were illegally mining for gold in western Java in the mountains of Bogor district, south of the capital Jakarta, when the landslide struck "after days of heavy rain".

"We rescued the other eight, so everyone is accounted for," Rozak said.

Landslides are common in Indonesia, particularly in heavily deforested mountainous areas"

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Eight_killed_in_Indonesia_landslide_999.html

Nine dead in Mont Blanc avalanche

July 12, 2012

"Three Britons among those killed after avalanche strikes glaciated slope during ascent on Mont Maudit in French Alps"

Kim Willsher in Paris, Ed Douglas and Peter Beaumont

"Three Britons are among at least nine dead after an avalanche in the French Alps in the early hours of Thursday .

A further two British climbers were still missing as search and rescue workers from France and Italy combed the snow-covered slopes near Chamonix hours after the 28-strong group of climbers and guides were hit by a wall of ice and snow.

The search was called off at 5pm French time (4pm BST) and was expected to continue on Friday, depending on weather conditions.

French officials described it as the worst Alpine tragedy for many years.

The British ambassador Sir Peter Ricketts was on his way to Chamonix on Thursday afternoon."

snip

"A spokesman for the Alpine mountain rescue service, which scrambled a helicopter and sniffer dogs to the area after being alerted by an injured climber just after the avalanche, said it had probably been caused by snow collapsing in the warm July weather. "We were initially alerted just after dawn by one of the survivors who called us on a mobile phone," he said.

Bertrand François, commander of the Haute-Savoie gendarmerie, whose officers were combing the mountainside for survivors on Thursday, offered a glimmer of hope for the missing climbers, saying it was possible the missing had been ahead of the group struck by the avalanche and had not been swept way. "It doesn't necessarily mean they are under the avalanche," he said.

Manuel Valls, the French interior minister, was on his way to the scene of one of the worst mountain tragedies in recent years.

The 4,465m Mont Maudit is widely considered one of the world's most dangerous climbs. The Mont Blanc range claims more than 100 victims a year.

Eric Fournier, the mayor of Chamonix, described the snowslide as one of the deadliest in recent years. "There was no weather bulletin giving any avalanche warning," he said, adding that shifting ice sheets could have triggered the avalanche.

The tragedy is one of the worst in the Mont Blanc region since August 2008, when eight climbers – four Austrians, three Swiss and one German – died in similar circumstances."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/12/mont-blanc-avalanche-britons?newsfeed=true

Search resumes for 4 missing in B.C. landslide

July 13, 2012

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCEiBfr380XxOaZPAYuNkLaGh12ZWa8HovNQbHwrMzrxRfLzLm

"The search for four people assumed caught in Thursday's landslide in southeastern B.C. resumed Friday afternoon and was to continue until dark, and then resume at first light Saturday morning, officials say.

More landslides earlier Friday had delayed the ground search for a father, his two adult daughters and a German woman believed to be trapped by a landslide that roared down a mountainside in southeastern B.C.

RCMP said there had been further slides in the area, and because of that searchers had to wait for geotechnicians to assess the safety of the terrain before they went in."

snip

"

Local resident Lisa Taylor said there was concern heavy rain in recent months had saturated the ground on the mountainside and created the risk of a landslide, but nobody expected such a massive one.

"Probably with the combination of the heat and water, and there has been some flux in the water and we thought it could wipe out the road. One of the neighbours was really worried, but we didn't think it could get this big."

When the torrent of debris and mud roared down the Purcell Mountains, coming within 25 metres of her parents' acreage, Taylor's family rushed to check on their neighbours.

"[We] went down to the neighbour's house and it was completely gone. Went down to my friends' house and it's gone too," she said.

"These are some of my best friends," said Taylor. "I just hope there is a chance they are still alive."

Read entire story here, and good luck to those missing and their families...

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/07/13/bc-landslide-search-johnsons-landing.html

The Great Collapse: crust weakening, slipping, and collapsing across the planet

Going to put this here...Extinction Protocol is lumping this all together...I don't think I agree...but want a record of it..

Arizona

21281568_BG4.jpg

UK

width=500 height=333http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00384/121919367_384063c.jpg[/img]

Spain

width=500 height=278http://static.noticiasdenavarra.com/images/2013/02/21/ak8e5363_jpg_20130220195927_28719_1.jpg[/img]

Kashmir

130188.jpg?width=480

writeups under each of the pics on site.

Landslide on Washington Island Forces Evacuation of 34 Homes

March 27, 2013

By ALEXIS SHAW

March 27, 2013

A chunk of Whidbey Island off the coast of Washington slid into water early this morning, forcing the evacuation of 34 homes.

At one home at the new cliff edge, a steady stream of soil can be seen leaking out from beneath the building. Authorities are continuing to monitor a house where there's still slide activity, as dirt continues to slough off the cliff, said Central Whidbey Island Fire and Rescue Chief Ed Hartin.

Fire and Rescue went to a home around 4 a.m. this morning in Coupeville on Whidbey Island, Wash., to find it had been pushed off its foundation. Hartin told ABCNews.com that when he arrived, the home was already a considerable distance down the cliff by the water.

The landslide stretched across 400 to 500 yards and the earth dropped 600 to 700 yards down to the water, reported ABC's Seattle affiliate KOMO, with trees and tons of dirt smashing into homes down below and wiping out a road. Somehow no one was injured.

Hartin said rescuers used ATVs to reach the home that had slid down the cliff. He said the residents had escaped before the cliff dropped."

Washington Homes on Edge After Massive Landslide

Whidbey Island Landslide Threatens Neighborhood

Whidbey Island Landslide Threatens Neighborhood

http://abcnews.go.com/US/landslide-washington-island-leaves-34-homes-danger/story?id=18824425

Landslide forces 300 to evacuate

image.jpgThe landslide is also threatening a row of terrace houses near Pangsapuri Beringin. Pic by Saifullizan Tamadi

"IN FEAR: Apartment residents claim slow pace of repairs led to second incident

SUBANG JAYA: ABOUT 300 residents of Pangsapuri Beringin  in Puchong, here had to vacate their apartment units yesterday when a nearby hillslope  collapsed for the second time this year.

The first incident occurred on Feb 19 and residents claimed that repairs were completed late, which resulted in the second landslide about 4.30pm yesterday.

They said an official from the Subang Jaya Municipal Council had directed residents of Block B of the apartments to evacuate to a hall nearby.

Resident Siti Zaleha Dalli, 38, described this landslide as even worse than the first one.

"I was told about the incident at about 4.30pm by my son before I noticed that a large part of the hill slope next to the building had collapsed. I was made to understand that a sewage pipe and a water pipe had burst, which aggravated the situation. The landslide was very near my unit," said Siti Zaleha, who expressed disappointment at the slow pace of repairs following the first landslide."

http://www.nst.com.my/nation/general/landslide-forces-300-to-evacuate-1.242721

White Cliffs Collapse: Tons of Chalk Fall Into the Channel Near Dover

They are one of the most iconic symbols of British independence and the inspiration for one of the most famous wartime songs. But walkers have been warned to take care when walking along a stretch of the famous White Cliffs of Dover, after tons of chalk crashed into the English Channel, when part of the cliff-face sheared off. A giant mound of clay was left on the shore near St. Margaret’s Bay after the collapse between Dover and Deal in Kent. Dover Coastguard said a bench and fencing which sat on the cliff-top were also sent tumbling to the base, prompting warnings to coastal walkers

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/white-cliffs-collapse-tons-of-chalk-fall-into-the-channel-near-dover/

1 person likes this

Ah nature taking an anti acid pill  ;)

Chinese Rescuers Find More Bodies in Tibet Landslide

6C1CABD8-3DE9-4A83-8959-E0F544D91557_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy6_cw0.jpg

In this photo taken Saturday, Mar. 30, 2013, rescuers search through rocks and debris at a gold mine after a mudslide in Gyama village, in Maizhokunggar County of Lhasa, Tibet.

Michael Lipin

March 31, 2013

"Chinese rescuers have found 15 more bodies of miners buried by a huge landslide in Tibet, and frantically searched for survivors from Friday's disaster despite dwindling hopes of finding anyone alive.

The official Xinhua news agency said the bodies were uncovered Sunday, raising the confirmed death toll to 17, with another 66 miners still missing. The miners were at a camp in the Maizhokunggar county of the Tibetan Autonomous Region when the mountain above them collapsed early Friday, burying them under a vast pile of debris 20 to 50 meters deep.

Xinhua said a majority of the 83 workers at the camp were majority Han Chinese migrants from the provinces of Gansu and Guizhou. Several were Tibetans from the provincial capital, Lhasa."

http://www.voanews.com/content/chinese-rescuers-find-more-bodies-in-tibet-landslide/1632233.html 

No injuries in massive copper mine landslide in Utah; slide anticipated

April 13, 2013

"SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Kennecott Utah Copper has suspended mining inside one of the world’s deepest open pits as geologists assess a landslide the company says it anticipated for months.

Shovel and haul operators were pulled back earlier Wednesday before the landslide tore loose around 9:30 p.m. inside the nearly mile-deep Brigham Canyon Mine, Kennecott spokesman Kyle Bennett said Thursday.

“This slide was self-contained within the mine,” he said.

The outside walls of the mining pit, which stretch 2 ½ miles from rim to rim, are holding with no danger to housing developments several miles away, he said.

For more than a century, miners have reduced a mountaintop about 20 miles southwest of Salt Lake City to a deep hole. Kennecott, the latest in a succession of owners, is digging into a tooth-shaped volcanic core that has yielded millions of tons of copper and small amounts of gold and silver.

http://mtstandard.com/news/national/no-injuries-in-massive-copper-mine-landslide-in-utah-slide/article_f5ee7138-a3e9-11e2-ba80-001a4bcf887a.html

Landslide kills 14 in Ecuador

April 24, 2013

guatemala-landslide-road-sep10-afp-lg.jpg

"A landslide swept into a village in northern Ecuador, burying homes and killing at least 14 people, authorities said Wednesday.

"There were 14 people killed in a landslide in Tabete" civil defense reported on Twitter, of the town near the Colombian border.

After days of heavy rain, the landslide buried homes in tonnes of earth and debris in the town located in Esmeraldas province, said Mayor Ernesto Estupinan of nearby Esmeraldas city."

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Landslide_kills_14_in_Ecuador_999.html

Dorset coast path collapse: 'Massive' cliff fall near Durdle Door

_67325779_p1020715.jpg

The cliff fall happened overnight at St Oswald's Bay

April 30, 2013

"A section of the South West Coast Path in Dorset has been destroyed by a massive landslip.

Portland Coastguard said the cliff fall happened overnight at St Oswald's Bay, east of Durdle Door.

A coastguard spokesman said: "It is huge - a massive fall has taken out part of the cliff. It is rather extraordinary."

The path has been sealed off by council workers. People have been advised to keep clear of the affected area.

A spokesman for the Lulworth Estate which owns the land called it a "substantial" landslip.

Nick Kelly said the estate would co-operate with the county council in re-routing the coast path away from the area of the cliff fall.

He said cliffs along the Dorset coast were in a "fragile" state due to wet weather over the past 12 months, followed by recent dry conditions."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-22355538

Should balance out a fair bit of acidity in that part of the sea..  ;)

Evacuations after Wellington slip

Wellington, New Zealand

June 1, 2013

http://snpa.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Wellington-Residents-evacuated-as-land-slide-threatens-houses/G00002R96PEePLpI/I0000HX1tAaoJ7Pw

Wellington homes evacuated by landslide

A massive landslide in Wellington has swept away backyards and left houses teetering on a cliff edge.

At least 90 people in the suburbs of Kingston and Berhampore were evacuated early this morning when a slip about 40 metres wide by 100 metres long came away from under houses in Priscilla Crescent.

A resident, who did not want to be identified, said her backyard had disappeared.

"My dad was the first one that noticed it, about 4.30am. He heard the ground cracking when it first started.

"He was looking out the window and the backyard was disappearing."

She and her father roused their neighbours, before the emergency services arrived. "

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8745337/Wellington-homes-evacuated-by-landslide

Thanks for telling us about this landslide KMRIA..

China Sichuan landslide 'buries up to 40 people'

A landslide has buried between 30 and 40 people in China's Sichuan province following heavy rain, state media say

July 10, 2013

"Rescue workers with search dogs are at the scene in the city of Djiangyan, Xinhua news agency reports.

On Tuesday a bridge collapsed in the nearby city of Jiangyou, leaving at least 12 people missing.

Days of heavy rain and floods have damaged hundreds of homes and forced the evacuation of more than 36,000 people in Sichuan and Yunnan provinces.

Footage from Chinese state media, meanwhile, showed the dramatic rescue of a factory worker in the town of Deyang, who was stranded by the floods after the factory was washed away.

"The water level is so high that vehicles, forklifts and excavators have all been washed away," Wei Xiao, another factory worker, told Reuters news agency.

Mud and landslides caused by flooding and strong rains are common in China's mountainous areas, killing hundreds of people every year. Deforestation has also made soil erosion much more of a problem."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-23251188

India landslide: Seven killed in Uttarakhand landslide

July 10, 2013

Seven family members have been killed in a landslide in India's Uttarakhand state, where floods and landslides left more than 800 dead last month

Officials say a house collapsed after a landslide in Chamoli district, leading to the deaths.

Heavy rains continue in the state, where over 4,000 people are reported to be missing after the floods.

This year's monsoon rains in Uttarakhand are believed to be the heaviest in 80 years.

Swollen rivers have swept away entire villages in the state, where there have been many travellers in what is peak tourist season. Tens of thousands of people, mostly tourists and Hindu pilgrims, have been evacuated by military helicopters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-23252923

Tx Icanseeatoms

68 believed buried in Mexico mudslide; storm death toll rises to 97

Rescue efforts continue in La Pintada in hard-hit Guerrero state after a mudslide swept away homes. In Acapulco, anger flares amid evacuation.

By Tracy Wilkinson

"MEXICO CITY — Rescue teams were searching Thursday for an estimated 68 people believed buried in a mudslide after multiple storms battered large swaths of Mexico, killing nearly 100 people nationwide and leaving thousands stranded or homeless.

While much attention was focused on tourists caught in the Pacific resort of Acapulco, grimmer reports emerged from villages in that hard-hit region of Guerrero state, which were largely cut off from aid and may have suffered large-scale devastation.

Luis Felipe Puente, the federal Civil Protection coordinator, said in a television interview that the national death toll climbed Thursday to 97 people in nine states. He said authorities were searching the Guerrero town of La Pintada, where at least 58 people were reported missing after a rain-propelled mudslide. Rescue operations have evacuated more than 300 people. Later, authorities said the missing numbered at least 68.

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-mexico-storm-20130920,0,2413180.story

Landslide kills 9 people in western Indonesia

December 1, 2013

"KARO, Indonesia (AP) Landslides triggered by torrential rain buried houses near a rumbling volcano in western Indonesia and searchers found nine bodies in the mud and water, a disaster official said Sunday. Four of the dead were children.

Several houses were buried when mud gushed down the surrounding hills late Saturday into Gundaling village, about 12 kilometers (7.4 miles) east of Mount Sinabung volcano in North Sumatra province.

He said the bodies of a mother and her 2-year-old son were retrieved from a mound of mud just before midnight Saturday. Six victims were found early Sunday, including two children, followed by the body of a 10-year-old boy drifting in a river.

Authorities struggled to get tractors and bulldozers over washed-out roads hours after the landslides."

snip

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11165488

post-5-0-05416400-1385925965_thumb.jpg

Scenic toll road that connects Tijuana, Ensenada collapses
Tijuana-Ensenada-toll-road-collapse_1388
 http://www.10news.com/news/scenic-toll-road-between-tijuana-ensenada-collapses-12282013

Se desploma la carretera Ensenada Tijuana

Ensenada Net

December 28, 2013

300-yard section of Mexican highway suddenly sinks 100 feet near U.S. border

"MEXICO CITY – Mexico says a 300-yard section of a highway near the U.S. border has collapsed, sinking about 100 feet (30 metres) after a series of small earthquakes.

Mexico’s federal highway authority says the collapse occurred about 58 miles (93 kilometres) south of the border city of Tijuana. The road leads to the port city of Ensenada, on the Baja California peninsula."
http://globalnews.ca/news/1052924/300-yard-section-of-mexican-highway-suddenly-sinks-100-feet-near-u-s-border/
Tx Reddwolf

4 people like this

Short Video of Slide at Canary Island
December 30, 2013

CANARY ISLANDS ABOUT TO CRACK   tx Robert

Robbo da Yobbo

1 person likes this

Alaskan port cut off from road traffic after avalanches

January 28, 2014

"(Reuters) - Road traffic to Valdez, Alaska, was cut off from the rest of the state after avalanches over the weekend blocked the only road into the coastal community, officials said on Monday.

The highway to the town of about 4,000 residents was blocked after an avalanche in the Keystone Canyon on Friday, followed by another on Saturday, according to the city's website.

The Richardson Highway could be shut for a week or more while crews work to clear the road, officials said. Supplies were being brought by barge to the town, one of Alaska's main seaports, which lies in a remote area of the Chugach Mountains."

snip

http://news.yahoo.com/alaskan-port-cut-off-road-traffic-avalanches-161100427--finance.html

post-5-0-92943300-1390932222_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Raw: Huge Boulder Narrowly Misses Farmhouse

Associated Press

Published on Feb 1, 2014

"A massive boulder smashed through a farm in Northern Italy after being dislodged by a landslide. A second boulder stopped just feet behind a stone farmhouse"

2 people like this